Meatless Monday

Options
This may or may not have already been posted, But does any one here participate in meatless Mondays? What are your thoughts on going meatless for a day? If so what kind of dishes do you like to make? Maybe post some recipes for those of us that do. I have been doing meatless Mondays now for a few weeks and i am finding more often then not that i like veggie only dishes. Plus it does save a bit of money by buying less meat.

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    This actually sounds kinda cool. I don't restrict any foods, but I think doing something like this for the lulz could introduce me to some delicious new foods.
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    as soon as the people that came up with Meatless Monday do an all Meat Friday... I will participate... :)
  • annasor70
    annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I am vegan so every meal/ day is meat and dairy free for me. Try these sites for great recipes;
    http://ohsheglows.com/2013/01/13/top-15-vegan-recipes-of-2012/
    http://webecoist.momtastic.com/2008/09/01/20-delicious-vegan-meals-recipes-that-dont-suck/
    http://allrecipes.com/recipes/everyday-cooking/vegetarian/vegan/top.aspx

Well done for giving it a go... it will be good for your body and the earth/ animals.
    It's funny how most folks are so used to eating meat every day that one day without can be challenging :)
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    No, I need over 100g of protein/day and the easiest way for me to get that is with meat and fish. Since I have no religious of philosophical reason to avoid it, I don't. What is the purpose of a 'meatless Monday"?
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    cool idea, but it sounds like something from WW2

Buy+Fresh+Fish%252C+Save+the+Meat+for+our+Soldiers+and+Allies+-+First+World+War+Poster.JPG
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Sorry, too late...already had a steak for din din. :flowerforyou:
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Frugality makes many of my meals meatless, although I'm not vegetarian. This week was this: http://www.skinnykitchen.com/recipes/sinfully-rich-and-skinny-macaroni-cheese-italian-style/
  • HeadsPoppingOutOfCups
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for several years so I still make some of my favorite vegetarian recipes on occasion. Honestly I tend to just do a big batch of roasted vegetables once or twice a week for dinner, usually after a day with red meat or something meat heavy.
  • JuantonBliss
    JuantonBliss Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    No, I need over 100g of protein/day and the easiest way for me to get that is with meat and fish. Since I have no religious of philosophical reason to avoid it, I don't. What is the purpose of a 'meatless Monday"?

That is a common misconception my dear :) You can get plenty of protein from pastas, veggies, legumes, fruits, etc. You don't need meat or even dairy.
  • JuantonBliss
    JuantonBliss Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I am vegan so every meal/ day is meat and dairy free for me. Try these sites for great recipes;
    http://ohsheglows.com/2013/01/13/top-15-vegan-recipes-of-2012/
    http://webecoist.momtastic.com/2008/09/01/20-delicious-vegan-meals-recipes-that-dont-suck/
    http://allrecipes.com/recipes/everyday-cooking/vegetarian/vegan/top.aspx

Well done for giving it a go... it will be good for your body and the earth/ animals.
    It's funny how most folks are so used to eating meat every day that one day without can be challenging :)

I've been wanting to go Vegan for quite some time, but I always go for the dairy :/ I've given up milk but the rest has proven to be troublesome. Maybe I'll do a dairy free Monday and start from there :)
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    I made this for dinner: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/08/tomato-and-zucchini-frittata.html (it's my profile pic). I had some bacon and a salad on the side. Quick and easy and was pretty good.

ETA: Obviously, don't eat the bacon to make it a Meatless Monday thing.
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Frugality makes many of my meals meatless, although I'm not vegetarian.

We do two meatless meals a week for the savings and a simple, quick meal to prepare.
    Felafel with greek salad
    Grilled cheese sand with tomato soup
    Cobb salad
    Black bean and squash burritos
    Lentil or chickpea curries
    Pasta carbonara sans the bacon (the kids love this)
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

That is a common misconception my dear :) You can get plenty of protein from pastas, veggies, legumes, fruits, etc. You don't need meat or even dairy.

Could you show me an example of obtaining 240g of protein with pastas, veggies, legumes, fruits, etc?

Not snarky, genuinely curious.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Frugality makes many of my meals meatless, although I'm not vegetarian.

We do two meatless meals a week for the savings and a simple, quick meal to prepare.
    Felafel with greek salad
    Grilled cheese sand with tomato soup
    Cobb salad
    Black bean and squash burritos
    Lentil or chickpea curries
    Pasta carbonara sans the bacon (the kids love this)
    Falafel is ball-shaped heaven. Baked or fried.
  • lesliefence
    Options
    For anyone who is interested, Another member and I have started a Meatless on Mondays group. Feel free to join and post some recipes or look for some inspiration on cutting out meat for a day. Thanks!

PS. the group is called " Meatless on Mondays"
  • MsMimidoll
    MsMimidoll Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for just about 2you years so every day is meatless for me, although I cook meat nightly for my family.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options

I would love to see some vegetarian/vegan diaries to get more ideas. Anybody with an open diary eat around 2000 calories with 120g of protein? I'm not opposed to trying something new (especially if I can save money) I'd love to get 120g protein day ideas from vegans or vegetarians.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    My employer launched a campaign years ago called Meatless Mondays to encourage us to eat more veggies and allow your creative food juices to flow without meat. Several in my office are now vegetarians as a result and other staff feel they save money on meatless Monday.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    My employer launched a campaign years ago called Meatless Mondays to encourage us to eat more veggies and allow your creative food juices to flow without meat. Several in my office are now vegetarians as a result and other staff feel they save money on meatless Monday.
    I probably eat more veg than any 3 vegetarians and I also eat meat and I'm creative in the kitchen because I cook for a living........kinda lame reasoning imo. just eat more veg, veg is delicious............and goes very well with animal protein......of course if the agenda is to convert people to vegetarianism, that's perfectly fine if someone feels that's an improvement in their life, but for me, that would never happen.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Back in February I decided to try reducing my meat intake. Haven't eaten meat (including chicken or fish) since, and I've decided that I will only eat animals I kill myself. I've got a few in my freezer (trout), I'm just not quite ready to drop the vegetarian thing.

I also reduced my egg intake from 1-2 dozen per week to a dozen or less every couple months, and my dairy intake is quite limited, typically only if I eat out, though I don't go out of my way to avoid it.

I haven't been exercising much in the last 9 months (since my son was born) so my weight hasn't changed one way or the other very much, BUT I feel leaps and bounds better than I used to. It has to be the meat, or possibly the eggs, that made me feel like crap all the time, even 100+lbs down.

Anyhow. All that to say, I think it's a good idea, and in order to help you on your Meatless Mondays idea, go here: www.theppk.com - you are welcome.