FYI: Beware of scammers & fakes

Options
IMYarnCraz33
IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
Ladies (and maybe Gents)...
It has come to my attention just recently that there are people here on MFP who are claiming to be someone/something they are not.
I have not used the community section of this app in a long time, but recently started using it again.
A recent friend request I received was from someone claiming to be military personnel. Oddly enough the information and rank they said they were is not correct. They combined things from two different military branches.
Please be careful out there. I see this sort of thing all over the internet: apps, games, social media...
As someone who grew up in a military family, this crap infuriates me to the hilt.

To all scammers & fakes: You reap what you sow. So don't be surprised when karma comes knocking.

Replies

• mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I wondered about that. Long time member of MFP and recently getting friend requests from guys that I don't know and then got some creepy emails. Unfriended them and now ask how I know a person before I friend them.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I find the people who pretend to be military typically use the same lines and copy/paste information they find online.
    I get this kind of crap on my social media fairly often. This one was different. They mixed what seemed to be 2 ranks, but also info from 2 branches.

*edited by a MFP moderator
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I find the people who pretend to be military typically use the same lines and copy/paste information they find online.
    I get this kind of crap on my social media fairly often. This one was different. They mixed what seemed to be 2 ranks, but also info from 2 branches.

You can report them to admin (if you haven't already) and their profiles will be banned. But yes, this is very common. I have been lucky enough to get some really good friends. Sure the bad apple slips through now and afain, but I have a keen narcissist nose and can smell the rot fairly quickly. Plus I have no money for them to scam from me and am in the wrong country for trafficking, rape and murder. At least from them. My country is in the top five worst places in the world for women to live because of the gender based crime numbering in the hundreds per day. But yeah, it has honed my narcissist nose
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Good Morning All,

Thanks for sharing your concerns. We appreaciate hearing about false members here, but please report to staff members instead of posting names on the forums as it goes against guideline 8 in our community rules.

community guidelines can be found here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10701884/play-nice#latest

An updated list of staff and volunteer moderators is always kept in this thread if you need to contact one of us: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10028709/meet-our-community-team#latest

I already passed along the name of the member discussed here so no further action is needed.

Thanks for your cooperation,
    -4legs
    MFP volunteer moderator
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    mjglantz wrote: »
    I wondered about that. Long time member of MFP and recently getting friend requests from guys that I don't know and then got some creepy emails. Unfriended them and now ask how I know a person before I friend them.

Oddly enough, since I escaped the halfnaked spam bot blitz, I recently started getting the same male friend requests. Since I don't recognize any of them from the forums I didn't accept any of them. I'm too old and cynical to be flattered.