Cookie Bars and Ingredient Swaps

Options
penguinmama87
penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
edited August 2021 in Recipes
My family really enjoys these cookie bars: https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/soft-chewy-chocolate-chip-cookie-bars/

I made a batch last night for the first time in a while. I can fit them into my calorie budget as they are, but I was thinking about ways I might adapt it to be a little less calorific. The concern I have is mostly about the texture, since that's so much a part of the experience of eating these. I was thinking about using applesauce or even shredded zucchini for some of the butter, which is something I've done for quickbreads, but I don't know how that would go here. Other ideas include reducing the sugar (which I've done for several other recipes but not this one yet) and replacing some of the flour with rolled oats.

Or I could just find another similar recipe from a more experienced baker who knows how to swap these things!

Any ideas or favorite bar recipes? :)

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    The recipe calls for a cup of chocolate chips. In addition to all your observations so far...

I'd consider using 1/3 of a cup and then for another iteration, replacing some of the flour for dark chocolate bcocoa powder
  • VlpW
    VlpW Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Check out https://amyshealthybaking.com! She has tons of lower sugar, lower fat cookies and other desserts as well. Her *ultimate* versions of cookies are excellent! 🤤 I can't rave enough about her!
  • xelsoo
    xelsoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've swapped butter/oils with appleasauce successfully in most dessert recipes (around 1/3), as well as swapping well over half of the sugar with erythtritol or another sweetener of your liking (careful with the proportions though). As you mention, you can also just reduce the sugar by 1/4 and no one even notices it!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Try silken tofu in place of the oil. You can't taste it at all.

exermom