High % of calories from fat. Observation and question.

Options
I begin using this site about a month ago to track calories and such for motivation and fun. This is the first time I’ve tracked nutrients since the early 90s. I have always believed in keeping fat calories low and it has worked, however the current trend is high fat which I have been following. I eat nuts, avocados, and other healthy fats and sometimes i get 40% of my calories from fat. I guess this is perfectly fine, but it feels odd to me. Is this just my 80s and 90s mindset or should I think about lowering my fat calories?
FYI, I’m currently in a maintaining mode in terms of weight.

Replies

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    My thought is that as long as you're successfully maintaining and your fat intake isn't crowding out other necessary nutrition (my first thought is protein since if you eat meat that can be a high calorie item), then you probably don't need to worry about it. :)

If you don't actually enjoy eating all the healthy fats, then I wouldn't try to force yourself to do so. But I don't think fat is the enemy as it was regarded in the 80s and 90s. I remember the first time I ever tried to lose weight I was eating maybe 15g of fat per day. I'm not going to do that again!

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i dont really pay too much attention to my macros. out of curiosity i pulled my fat report for the past 90 days. mine is set at 37 (why, i dont know...)

2stx8dxf9hh5.jpg
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is an old mindset. I am on a keto diet, but there is controversy about fat in diet still.

I agree with the poster above, if it is not causing any issues I don't see it as a problem.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    If you find eating this way enjoyable and satiating, go for it!

Personally, I love fat but don't find it especially filling, so when I reduced my fat and increased fiber it was easier for me to create a calorie deficit, but you do you :)
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    It sounds fine especially since you are eating healthy fats.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I went to check.

48% of my calories came from fat today.

I'm good with it.

Fat seems to be a thing I find satiating and if I go too long I'm ravenous all the time.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    Options
    I see your diary is open: That's helpful.

I agree with other folks above: Fat being high isn't generally a problem, as long as there are enough calories that protein (the other "essential macronutrient") is good, along with reasonable fiber/micros.

I don't see anything wrong with the fat levels, and you have some nice MUFAs/PUFAs in the mix, too.

I notice that you're strength training pretty routinely, and generally athletically active. Protein isn't super low, but with strength or mass goals, personally I'd try for keeping that consistently in the vicinity of 1g per pound of lean body mass, which looks like it would be 150g-ish, as a bet hedge.

Looks like you're getting a nice variety of veggies/fruits, which is excellent - ought to cover the fiber/micros reasonably, without getting into details.

Just one li'l ol' lady's opinions, though.

Examine's evidence-based calculator suggests 120 is optimal (and you're there/beyond, on average, it appears), up to 180 "may provide additional benefit, based on limited evidence."

https://examine.com/nutrition/protein-intake-calculator/
    https://examine.com/guides/protein-intake/
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I find keeping fat and protein on the high side and carbs on the low side is the most satiating for me. My only slight concern was whether that might cause cholesterol problems. However, my blood lipids are the best my doctor has ever seen. Not for someone my age (50s) - but for any of her patients.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for great feedback!! I have a blood test scheduled for late September and hoping for great results. My last blood test was well over a year ago and the results were not great. Since then I've completely changed my diet and lost 60lbs. I will post the results and anticipating that I can put my low fat diet thinking "to rest"!!

If cholesterol/triglyceride levels were the blood test issue, I believe current thinking is that things like fiber, plenty of veggies/fruits, plus getting those MUFAs/PUFAs (and maybe Omega-3/Omega-6 balance), along with bodyweight and exercise, are more influential in a positive direction for many people than total dietary fat intake.

By all means, update here and let us know how it goes: Wishing you a great outcome!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I begin using this site about a month ago to track calories and such for motivation and fun. This is the first time I’ve tracked nutrients since the early 90s. I have always believed in keeping fat calories low and it has worked, however the current trend is high fat which I have been following. I eat nuts, avocados, and other healthy fats and sometimes i get 40% of my calories from fat. I guess this is perfectly fine, but it feels odd to me. Is this just my 80s and 90s mindset or should I think about lowering my fat calories?
    FYI, I’m currently in a maintaining mode in terms of weight.

Those are heart healthy fats. Other than being calorie dense, dietary fat doesn't matter for weight management, calories do.

Trans-fats and overconsumption of saturated fats are another matter.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    The only concern about the fat I eat have to do with it's refinement and polyunsaturated fat content for our omega balance. The process involved in refining seed oils especially corn, soy and canola can and do produce small amounts of trans fats, which may not be too much of a problem if consumed once in a while but if it's your main oil of choice then I would rethink that. Polyunsaturated oils should really be consumed in their original form/container like nuts and seeds. There's a reason flax oil for omega purposes are sold refrigerated in opaque containers because if they're exposed to sunlight, heat or oxygen they go rancid almost immediately and can increase the radical activity in cells. Flax oil is not a different polyunsaturated fat then what's in corn oil or canola that has been subject to the chemical heating process of refinement, sitting on shelves and consumed and further exposed to cooking. Not the healthiest way to consume oils. imo As an alternative I would suggest virgin avocado oil, extra virgin olive oil and a virgin coconut oil.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2015/04/13/ask-the-expert-concerns-about-canola-oil/
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the update. All sounds positive.