Eating more with Keto?

Options
Hello has anyone noticed that they could eat more with Keto and still lose the same amount of weight as maybe a more strictly calories in vs calories our approach? Just curious how true these claims of weight loss on higher calories are.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    These claims are never proven. ALL weight loss (except liposuction or other surgical procedure) requires a calorie deficit.

Keto is great for a whoosh of water weight loss in the beginning. But that's not fat loss, and won't continue each week.

Now you could eat more (as in quantity) with low calorie - high volume foods. Bigger portions are great if fiber is filling for you. Keto is high fat, so portions aren't going to be bigger.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10563959/volume-eaters-thread/p1
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Not me, but you may feel like you ate more/be more full eating keto, as some (not all) do.
  • azuki
    azuki Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    what you eat affects how you feel. how much you eat (cal wise) affects how you weigh.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,919 Member
    Options
    I've been low carb for over a decade and dabbled in keto, but the satiety curve is pretty much the same. I generally don't find myself hungry and have to remind myself to eat sometimes and I also don't eat breakfast most days. Which results in me eating 2 big meals a day and my maintenance is around 2600 calories which means I'm eating a lot when I do eat. Anyway calories do matter and no someone can't eat more on the keto diet comparatively speaking.
  • bubus05
    bubus05 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    The interesting thing, with keto I never even tracked my calories. I was on a relatively strict keto diet for a year trying to lose a hundred lbs, while I did track my weight I kind of completely ignored calorie count. I may have or probably had been in deficit but didn't really matter for the simple reason when you pretty much only eat fat and protein you dont seem to eat that much. I am sure if one eats three chickens and five pounds of pork a day losing weight will probably be difficult but you won't eat that much your body simply won't take it, unlike my black Labrador who will have no problem consuming any amount of meat...LOL.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I think when on Keto the volume of food is sometimes much more than when doing CICO. Carbs are fairly calorie dense so when you cut those out and are eating lower carb veggies and protein, you end up feeling like you are eating way more. I remember during keto being shocked that at the end of the day, after eating what i felt to be fairly 'heavy' i had only hit 1300 calories. This is why keto (or low carb) works for some people . Some people find the higher protein and fat to be really satiating so they end up eating less calorically.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    jelleigh wrote: »
    I think when on Keto the volume of food is sometimes much more than when doing CICO. Carbs are fairly calorie dense so when you cut those out and are eating lower carb veggies and protein, you end up feeling like you are eating way more. I remember during keto being shocked that at the end of the day, after eating what i felt to be fairly 'heavy' i had only hit 1300 calories. This is why keto (or low carb) works for some people . Some people find the higher protein and fat to be really satiating so they end up eating less calorically.

Agreed that it can be very filling, but fat is actually the most calorie dense macro. Lean meat + veg is (for some of us) filling and low cal, but also wouldn't be keto macros without some added fat or adding in some various sources of fat. (And I personally find it easy to it pretty high cal amounts of say cheese or nuts without feeling especially full, although I do find those foods reasonably filling if I eat a measured amount.)

Also, I don't find carbs alone especially calorie dense. (I find fruit filling at low cal levels, although I know not everyone does, and same with plain roasted potatoes.) I do find some of them not particularly filling, for me -- bread isn't all that filling IMO, and pasta is only if I eat it with protein and veg (which of course is normal). I think a lot of the foods that people think of as carbs that are part of what get removed from the diet are really a mix of fat and carbs.
  • CastleOfIce
    CastleOfIce Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Not me, but you may feel like you ate more/be more full eating keto, as some (not all) do.

This was me on keto, but I had other issues with the diet.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    jelleigh wrote: »

Fat has 9 calories per gram while carbs and protein have 4, so fat is in fact the most calorie dense macro.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Fat is the most calorie dense. In the past on low carb diets, I felt like I was eating less food. A handful of nuts has a lot of calories but isn’t much food.