Gluten free veggie pizza

Options
glfprncs2
glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
So, I'm giving this a whirl tonight...the crust is made with...CAULIFLOWER! It's pretty cheese heavy, so I'm going to try to cut it a smidge....lol...I'm going to cut the cheese. Anyhow...I'll let you know how it goes:

http://cathe.com/healthy-recipe-gluten-free-veggie-pizza

Replies

• jbwegner
    jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    That looks soo good! Can't wait to try it!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    my wife hates cauliflower, but i wonder if you could make the base out of something else. broccoli maybe?
  • glfprncs2
    Options
    The 'crust' is currently in the oven...it smells WONDERFUL! First time pizza contains more protein than carbs! (Yeah, I know...there's a lot of fat in the cheese...but still).
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options
    Let me know how it turns out...LOOKS YUMMY, but that much cheese does scare me a bit. I might try adding some almond flour to it just to help it. THANKS
  • glfprncs2
    Options
    I'm going to call this a success. I ended up using:

16 oz. cauliflower--steamed then mashed/food processed
    3 oz. asiago cheese
    1 egg
    italian herbs/black pepper

Mix those together, plop on a pizza sheet (spray with olive oil spray first), and pat into a pizza shape about 1" thick
    Bake at 450 for 15-20 minutes--until the edges and top start to get golden brown

Top with pizza sauce (I used 1/4 cup of pizza quick for ease)
    Top with 3 oz. mozzarella cheese

Bake at 450 degrees for 5-6 minutes (cheese is bubbly and starting to brown).

In all, it made 4 servings, and each serving was just under 200 calories, 7 carbs, 12.5 fat, 15 protein, 3.5 fiber, 2.5 sugar. I had 2 servings which definitely filled me up.

The crust certainly isn't "pick me up and eat me like a normal piece of pizza," but had a good taste. Added veggies (onions, mushrooms, etc.), I think would've made it even more pizza like. In the end...a good trade off for the super duper high calories, fat and carbs in regular pizza.
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options
    I wondered how it had turned out....I am going to try this I think. 200 cal at dinner time is not bad at all. Then you can still have more things with it. Anyways THANKS
  • lilay
    lilay Posts: 122
    Options
    sounds yummy Thanks!
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    How interesting!! I mEed my fam a gluten free pizza today usingg spelt and barley flour but I've never thought about using a veggie base. Inbet you could steam cull and cut the dough mix in half too.

Come to think about it, I beg you could do it with butternut squash! Etc

Exciting!! I'm always looking for variations like this. Thanks!
  • slm638
    slm638 Posts: 64
    Options
    How interesting!! I mEed my fam a gluten free pizza today usingg spelt and barley flour but I've never thought about using a veggie base. Inbet you could steam cull and cut the dough mix in half too.

Come to think about it, I beg you could do it with butternut squash! Etc

Exciting!! I'm always looking for variations like this. Thanks!

You must not have celiac disease or are just eating wheat free? Spelt and barley are not gluten free...