What's the point in exercising?

Options
Seriously, most posts/threads I've read have said you need to eat your exercise calories back. So, what is the point of exercise? I'm not an exercise fan but I thought it would help me with the weight loss. So, if I'm supposed to eat the calories back, what is the point? In addition, why do most say eat it back but I see many who say they do not eat the calories back? I am not very knowledgeable about health and fitness. I am trying to get better but because I hate that I HAVE to do this it seems to take repeated telling to get it through my head. I would appreciate any insight/advise. I want this to work. I NEED to lose this weight and I NEED to be healthier than I am.

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Search function /thread

LOL and this...
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    There is no point of exercising.
    There is no point of making your body stronger, increasing insulin control, improving cardiac function, and strengthening your core.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    There is no point of making your body stronger, increasing insulin control, improving cardiac function, and strengthening your core.

who wants all that extra crap?
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    what it boils down to is MFP is a program it already creates a deficit when you input your figures that's why it tells you to eat back calories from working out.....now with that being said we are all individuals and free to find out what works for us and do just that..some of us are under Drs supervision and do many different programs and just incorporate MFP into that ...that's why you will find many different answers to that.........but personally regardless of gaining the extra calories from working out I just do it to get a little stronger have some more endurance.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I run to clear my head, and for the cardiovascular benefits as well. I lift because I love testing my limits, showing how strong I am not only physically, but mentally to. Not to mention that keeping the muscles strong and balanced keeps the joints happy.

Find something you love to do, not something you feel forced to do. I ate the vast majority of calories back when I was losing weight because exercise is not something I do to increase my deficit, or to eat more, but because I have found the two things I love to do, and want to do on a regular basis. It is what I do because I love my body, and I have always believed in fueling it.
  • cstoney2013
    cstoney2013 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    exercise and lifting help to build up your endurance, protect you from injury and also when you are exercising you cannot eat, so it is a win /win situation! I have personally seen people who have lost weight with and without and it can be done either way. it just takes alot more self control to lose weight without exercise, at least in my opinion.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

who wants all that extra crap?
    I only lift for looks
  • tim_delaney
    Options
    Please do not eat all of the calories you worked hard to burn. You need a deficit to lose weight. your body naturally burns some calories each day to survive and the exercise you do adds burned calories. If you eat about 3500 calories a week less then you burned you will lose a pound.

Keep your chin up and have faith in yourself.
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    It's fun?
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    To eat more.
  • nick9470
    Options
    It's only a month that I started, so I am not an expert at all. But I have been running every other day for the past month and it does help a lot! I burn a lot of calories through running, so I can eat what I normally would and I don't feel hungry or deprived. And yet there is a calorie deficit.
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    To eat more.

Yep!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    cardio and HIIT build endurance and metabolism
    Weight training maintains muscle mass (which is vital for your metabolism) and provides nice body shape and posture.

Many other benefits of exercise, as well.
  • MANDallasTX
    Options
    Your question about eating back the calories is a good one. For people trying to improve their health through weight loss, not eating back is a way to increase your calorie deficit which leads to weight loss. You can if your calorie deficit is to large for to long hinder weight loss.

For people who are sculpting their bodies via weight lifting they need to eat back most or all to build muscle mass.

It is your journey to a healthier you. Try not eating back and see how your body responds. Then try eating back and see what happens. You judge what works best for you.

Much success in achieving a healthier YOU!
  • Kanlassak
    Kanlassak Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Personally, it's a toss-up between getting to eat those extra calories and exercises I find fun for me.

If you don't enjoy exercise or food, exercise still helps with your strength and/or cardiovascular health depending on the type you do, and can help make your body composition be less fatty, which many people find helps their appearance more than losing weight alone.

It can also make a larger deficit, and thus faster weight loss, maintainable while still managing sufficient nutrition.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    nothing ..do it or not, its up to you ...

however, you will more than likely lose and then have that skinny fat look ...but it is all up to you and what your goals/preferences are ...

I would rather be defined and shredded ..but that is just me..

there are additional benefits besides just losing weight..stress relief, feeling better, over all health, etc...
    Yeah. I LOVE how much stronger I feel from exercising. Also, when I regularly exercise, my tension migraines virtually disappear.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    To eat more.

Yep!
    And this!
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Please do not eat all of the calories you worked hard to burn. You need a deficit to lose weight. your body naturally burns some calories each day to survive and the exercise you do adds burned calories. If you eat about 3500 calories a week less then you burned you will lose a pound.

Keep your chin up and have faith in yourself.

But if you're on My Fitness Pal, you're already set up with a deficit, so you don't need to create another one. If you were doing this on your own, yes you'd exercise and not eat calories back. But on MFP, the math is set up so that's what you do. If you are using the numbers that MFP gives you and you don't eat back your calories, you create a deficit that is too large to be very functional.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I love exercising. Running and weights. Squats are stress relief.

Seriously though, I really need it. It is the only thing that helps my depression . I've tried therapy and antidepressants (they make me more apathetic than anything else). Exercise works.

Also, to eat more.

But yes, you can control weight with diet alone if that is your only goal.