Outdoor solo swiming - what to do with your stuff?

Options

Replies

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    The thing I love most about swimming is how freeing it feels. Especially as a guy who hikes up mountains, gravity is suddenly not a thing, you can go anywhere you want, or let the water hold you when you want. There are bald eagles nesting in the trees nearby, it can be nice between drills to just float for a moment watching them. And being able to see the city all around, roads I bike on, the mountains in the distance, it's very pleasant. I have this feeling that a tether would diminish that feeling of freedom, but it sounds like people who actually use one don't feel that way.

I couldn't agree more that open water swimming is very appealing once you're comfortable in the water. I try to minimize my lap pool work in favor of OWS whenever I can. And I can tell you that among the group of swimmers I know, I don't remember any complaints about wearing the tether. You simply forget that you're wearing it.

@kshama2001 - I had a Keifer swim buoy that I used for years until it no longer held air. This year I bought this one from Jansite. It's fairly large. When the rolltop is opened, you can fit lots of stuff in it, though I never use it for storage. I made my purchase based on reasonable price and speed of delivery, since I"m in training mode currently. Lots of different ones to pick from.

Here's a top view and bottom view of my current buoy. Top view note: Simply inflate by mouth and turn cap to fill, then reverse to deflate. Roll top keeps things dry and an otterbox or other waterproof case can easily be shoved inside for two layers of protections. Bottom view note: just attach the belt to your waist and drag the buoy like a tail into the water. Even if you're wearing a wetsuit to elevate your lower body, you don't feel the tether or buoy much if at all. The buoy rides just behind your glutes when you're doing the freestyle stroke. Easy peasy.
    cydjidj9g0yd.jpg
    ff6ya3a0bqw2.jpg

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    It was maybe 70F when I got out of the water today. Weird haze and cloud blocking the sun. I wore longer running shorts and a long sleeve silk weight base layer top in the water. I should have left another shirt in my hat like I usually do and just carried the wet one back. Instead I was wet and mildly cold.

Do you think a light fleece would fit in a swim buoy?

I think/hope it's not that likely that somebody is going to steal my stuff while I'm swimming. But a jacket is a good target for thieves, it could have a wallet, cash, drugs, whatever, I feel like that might end my streak of good luck and being able to trust humanity. 🙂
  • Djproulx
    Options

If you went with a large buoy, it would probably fit. That is a bit more in the way of storage duty than what I believe most swimmers require.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    It was maybe 70F when I got out of the water today. Weird haze and cloud blocking the sun. I wore longer running shorts and a long sleeve silk weight base layer top in the water. I should have left another shirt in my hat like I usually do and just carried the wet one back. Instead I was wet and mildly cold.

I think/hope it's not that likely that somebody is going to steal my stuff while I'm swimming. But a jacket is a good target for thieves, it could have a wallet, cash, drugs, whatever, I feel like that might end my streak of good luck and being able to trust humanity. 🙂

I have phone and car key in the tow float and leave everything else on the side, never had an issue - which does not of course mean I never will.

Having said that I am not using the nice jacket and fancy handbag for this. It seems to me that an old bashed up rucksack full of clothes I've worn for the day, with a 25 year old beach towel draped on top is probably not a top target :D
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    :lol: NC, you keep moving the goalposts. How about just towing a kayak? You could bring a complete change of clothes and a towel. We use these for scuba, I don't think it would slow you down that much. Think of it as resistance training.

91Q-5EVEkdL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

Pair it with a dry bag...or a $10 phone thingy:

71hd9JkOGVL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Can I add a coffee maker?

You could, but then you would have to add a grinder for the beans and a cup and...
  • Djproulx
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    :lol: NC, you keep moving the goalposts. How about just towing a kayak? You could bring a complete change of clothes and a towel. We use these for scuba, I don't think it would slow you down that much. Think of it as resistance training.

91Q-5EVEkdL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

Pair it with a dry bag...or a $10 phone thingy:

71hd9JkOGVL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Can I add a coffee maker?

You could, but then you would have to add a grinder for the beans and a cup and...

hahaha, exactly!!
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    How do you dream with it getting a little cold in the evening when you get out of the water?
  • iam4scuba
    iam4scuba Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    There are boxes you can buy that are watertight for your phone and keys and a credit card. I use one when I scuba dive and it even holds up under 60+ feet of water. I mean, people have been using waterproof boxes for years for their expensive camera gear.

Check out Pelican boxes....then just get a lanyard and wear a rash guard shirt and wear the box under it...or in a pants pocket. I use a wetsuit and a BC, so lots of pockets.

You trust Pelican or Otter Boxes with your phone? Sounds like it's been working for you so maybe I'm just being anxious. I've always bought my phones used and had to buy a new one, I think I still have some sticker shock! Part of the reason I always bought used ones was so that I wouldn't have to worry as much.

You're in Seattle, right? Summer came fast and furious, seems like it went out early too.

I wouldn't trust otter box, but pelican for sure (maybe not to 60 feet on a recurring basis). As long as you get the one that meets your needs. Creating waterproof cases is not that difficult, but it can be expensive to do correctly. I don't have one, but I've heard the cases for cameras usually last about a year with relatively frequent diving to 30-45 feet. Just being exposed to water at the surface, my guess is that they would outlast the life span of multiple phones.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Aren't the new iPhones "waterproof?"

Even when the Pelican boxes fail it's not usually a catastrophic fail, it just starts to leak a little (anecdotally.) It's the silicone o-rings that fail, and the pressure at depth is a big factor. At the surface you might get a couple drops of water when it starts to fail, but it wouldn't blow out the seal, I wouldn't think. I think you can send them to Pelican for a refitted o-ring. A ziplock or other water-tight phone bag inside a Pelican would be sufficient on the surface. I admit, I don't take my phone on scuba dives, but I have carried my car key fob in the Pelican- in a ziplock. I don't do that on the regular, I mean even my Canon underwater camera o-ring seal failed and that was annoying.

That's what insurance is for. :)

They aren't guaranteed at depth, but up to one meter, so it seems they would work on the surface for a long time.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I recently bought a swim buoy (aka swim float, dry bag) as I am planning to do some open water swimming (at some point).
    These are inflatable bags that you tether to yourself. Their purpose is twofold:
    1. They can help make you more visible to others on the open water, people perhaps on jet skis or in boats.
    2. They can hold a small amount of stuff (depending on bag). Certainly a phone and car keys would be no problem.
    3. They can be pretty water tight, but get a waterproof phone pouch to be on the safe side.

I plan to leave clothes and towel on the shore and put phone/keys in the bag.

@Djproulx: and @frankwbrown: what brand of buoys do you use? My partner is uncomfortable with my long swims and this should reassure him. My mother's friend uses a buoy but I hadn't gotten around to looking in to this yet, so thanks for bringing it up :)

@NorthCascades: let me know what brand you go with as well.

I bought an ESONE swim buoy, but I haven't used it yet.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073RDKRP5/

I too have a waterproof mp3 player. I went with an H2O Audio Stream 2, it's a bit cheaper than the Sony Walkman.
    An mp3 player makes long swims a lot less boring.

This is a good selling point. I do hold back, especially if the wind is going to be against me on my return:

"Swimming alone in open water may cause you to hold back a little something so you had enough to get back to shore. With this swim buoy, you have the assurance that no matter where you are, you can always take a break if needed, just hug your buoy."

This, not so much :lol:

"BEST GIFT FOR YOURSELF - It is also very attractive and beautiful, which is making you more attractive to the opposite sex or the people you like. So ESONE Swim Buoy that you deserve."
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    The thing I love most about swimming is how freeing it feels. Especially as a guy who hikes up mountains, gravity is suddenly not a thing, you can go anywhere you want, or let the water hold you when you want. There are bald eagles nesting in the trees nearby, it can be nice between drills to just float for a moment watching them. And being able to see the city all around, roads I bike on, the mountains in the distance, it's very pleasant. I have this feeling that a tether would diminish that feeling of freedom, but it sounds like people who actually use one don't feel that way.

I couldn't agree more that open water swimming is very appealing once you're comfortable in the water. I try to minimize my lap pool work in favor of OWS whenever I can. And I can tell you that among the group of swimmers I know, I don't remember any complaints about wearing the tether. You simply forget that you're wearing it.

@kshama2001 - I had a Keifer swim buoy that I used for years until it no longer held air. This year I bought this one from Jansite. It's fairly large. When the rolltop is opened, you can fit lots of stuff in it, though I never use it for storage. I made my purchase based on reasonable price and speed of delivery, since I"m in training mode currently. Lots of different ones to pick from.

Here's a top view and bottom view of my current buoy. Top view note: Simply inflate by mouth and turn cap to fill, then reverse to deflate. Roll top keeps things dry and an otterbox or other waterproof case can easily be shoved inside for two layers of protections. Bottom view note: just attach the belt to your waist and drag the buoy like a tail into the water. Even if you're wearing a wetsuit to elevate your lower body, you don't feel the tether or buoy much if at all. The buoy rides just behind your glutes when you're doing the freestyle stroke. Easy peasy.
    cydjidj9g0yd.jpg
    ff6ya3a0bqw2.jpg

This one focuses more on the storage option than the other one.

https://smile.amazon.com/Jansite-Waterproof-Inflatable-Triathletes-Snorkelers/dp/B07DYLN5GG/
    • With Dry Bag function--- Give you the ability to store your belongings safely and keep them sealed and dry, never worry leaving your keys, cellphone, towels & wallet on the beach when you are in the water for a 2 mile swim
    • Including waterproof phone case--- Came with a quality waterproof phone case for additional protection, or for bringing your phone for taking photo when diving. It suits most Smartphones, like iPhone X/8/8 plus/7/7 plus/6s/6/6s plus, Samsung galaxy s8/s7 Google Pixel HTC10
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    So are there others around there/lifeguards.

Personally would be more concerned about having a water accident vs my phone.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I'm personally not worried about being able to float, that's easy.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I'm personally not worried about being able to float, that's easy.

Adult Me agrees.

Child - Adolescent Me sank like a stone :lol:

My mom verges on under-weight - I will have to ask her how well she floats.
  • goldenxbeauty
    goldenxbeauty Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Leave it in my bag on the beach.

I live in a rural area where it's not busy and most people can be trusted not to swipe your stuff.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I leave everything locked up and out of sight in the car. Bringing bag with a towel and the car key without a fob. If uncomfortable leaving key with my stuff on shore, i can bring it to swim with me, zipped or in Velcro pocket of my shorts. I see no reason to bring phone, money, wallet to the beach.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    And if you need to bring change of clothes and jacket, bring an older one, not too fancy. No one is probably going to mess with it.