My students too

Options
Well my students are not going to be too thrilled when they realize that they are part of my exercise program. Yesterday (it was cold here in Florida for April- 56degrees) I took my 6th period class outside. My assistant and I did 1 mile (as did my "shadow" child- one that is always with me:ohwell: ) The others started with walking and then switched to kite flying, ball tossing or being "bored. Wait until they find out that this will now be a twice a week deal! The complaints :bigsmile: .

I will do this with them or ... I was going to say "without them "but I'm the teacher- they have to go out with me!

LJ

Replies

• BlackBeltLJ
    BlackBeltLJ Posts: 190
    Options
    Well my students are not going to be too thrilled when they realize that they are part of my exercise program. Yesterday (it was cold here in Florida for April- 56degrees) I took my 6th period class outside. My assistant and I did 1 mile (as did my "shadow" child- one that is always with me:ohwell: ) The others started with walking and then switched to kite flying, ball tossing or being "bored. Wait until they find out that this will now be a twice a week deal! The complaints :bigsmile: .

I will do this with them or ... I was going to say "without them "but I'm the teacher- they have to go out with me!

LJ
  • greysweatshirt
    Options
    Hey there! I'm a teacher too..I teach elementary music. I've been noticing that since I've been working out that it's much easier for me to do all of the movement activities with the kids. I used to do enough to get them started and let them go out at, but now I can make it through!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Here's an idea:
    Find out how many miles it is to a local amusement park. When the students have walked that many miles, they get a field trip to said amusement park (after all, they "walked" there)! We did this when I was in elementary school and it worked GREAT. Kids are less likely to get bored if they know its for a big long term goal, since they're less likely to care about exercise in general. We just kept walking every day and eventually we'd made it from the tiny town of boyertown all the way to Hershey park. We kids were very excited :)
  • JPRexRun
    JPRexRun Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I play with my 1st Graders all the time at recess - good way to get your heart rate up! :)
  • BlackBeltLJ
    BlackBeltLJ Posts: 190
    Options
    My students are low functioning 14-21 year olds. We take walking CBIs (Community Based Instruction) every two weeks to work on their money skills. We go to Winn Dixie, McDonalds, Sonic, Post Office, and the library. All of them are less than1/2 mile away but I have a couple of students that I have to watch how far we can go (walking disabilities.)
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    you rock!!! keep up the great job....I think its sounds awesome!!!!
    hugs!
    Ali
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    that sounds like an awesome job! Keep 'em going, it's great excercise :smile: