losing weight just to get pregnant

Options
is anyone else trying to lose weight and get healthy so they can get pregnant?.....i kinda am.....im losing weoght because i need to but i refuse to have another baby until im at a healthy weight...and when i tell people that they look at me like im crazy and say im just gonna get fat again.....BUT BEING PREGNANT isnt a reason to stop eating healthy and gain more than a total of about 30lbs give or take....

Replies

• Dreaj79
    Dreaj79 Posts: 212
    Options
    Count me in! That's one of the reasons that I started losing weight!
  • jmatecki
    jmatecki Posts: 32
    Options
    Hey ladies, that's my modivation too. You want to make sure your health is in order before you can bring in another healthy life =) I also have my eldest sisters wedding next year in which I will be in it...but the main reason is to add to our family =)
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the same thing!
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    I am!!! My husband and I want to start TTC at Christmas but I need to get to a healthy weight before then. People tell me the same thing when I say that , and I have to explain to them that I plan on eating healthy and exercising throughout my pregnancy.
  • pmaria10
    pmaria10 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
  • κόσμος
    Options
    We're not planning to have kids anytime super soon, but I do plan to be healthy when I have them. I understand I will gain weight when I get pregnant, but I want to be able to be at a place where I already have the healthy habits to lose it after I have the baby. I want to be able to play with my kids and never have my weight or my health because of it stand in my way! I think it's a completely normal idea!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    is anyone else trying to lose weight and get healthy so they can get pregnant?.....i kinda am.....im losing weoght because i need to but i refuse to have another baby until im at a healthy weight...and when i tell people that they look at me like im crazy and say im just gonna get fat again.....BUT BEING PREGNANT isnt a reason to stop eating healthy and gain more than a total of about 30lbs give or take....

Well I say good on you to be honest!

All very well for other people to say "you will get fat again" however, there are a few things wrong with their statement.

1. Being pregnant is different totally to being fat and I always think it is out of order for pregnant women to be viewed as fat to be honest, they are NOT fat they are pregnant.

2. If you do NOT lose your excess weight and fall pregnant, all that is going to happen is you will have more weight to lose once you have had your baby. It would be nice to not have a double helping to lose afterwards :wink:

3. By other people suggesting you shouldn't bother losing your excess beforehand, they aren't thinking of your health really. You will be that much healthier and it will be better for both you and your baby if you are at a nice weight when you fall pregnant. Eating healthily now may also encourage you to continue eating healthily during your pregnancy. I mean that just has to be good doesn't it?

Good luck to you in your weight loss and in future pregnancies and births. Personally, for what it's worth, I think you have a spot on attitude :flowerforyou:
  • MommyofLily
    MommyofLily Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I totally agree!! I'd love to join ya! I'm getting healthy for the very same reason. I was having major health issues before I started my weight loss journey in January and since losing over 40 lbs, I'm feeling much healthier inside and out! I'm getting married 2 weeks from today and we plan to start our family within a year, so I want to be in tip top shape so I can bake some healthy babies when the time comes. :D
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    During my second pregnancy I actually lost weight I went from 185 at the start to 164.
    My first pregnancy I went from 155 to 170

I'm stuck in the 170's again after a pregnancy but refuse to keep gaining! we want to have another baby so that's one reason why I want to lose weight. We also want a boy and I have read overweight women tend to have more girls and so far eveything in the book has been right about conceiving girls lol.
  • Cina04
    Options
    just wanted to add I did mean to lose weight - my nurse thought I was not eating - trust me I was! It's your chance to eat whatever and not feel guilty lol (that's how I view it lol first pregnancy I gained the right amount of weight - the tricky part for me was afterwards & recovery time from a c-section - after my first csection I was scared to do anything. Now I'm more confident my belly won't bust open lol)
  • CudyBug
    CudyBug Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I too am doing the same. I just have not told many people. I dont want to hear the naysayers. I am doing this for me and so that I dont gain a ton this time. My second pregnancy i lost about 25 lbs but that 25 lbs of weight I gained the first time i was pregnant that i never lost. I gained over 60 wiht my first. I dont want to do that again. OOO and about having more girls when your overwieght, I wasnt over weight when I got pregnant with my first and she was a girl but my second I was veyr much over weight but had a boy ;)
  • shawnalmil
    shawnalmil Posts: 137
    Options

Well I say good on you to be honest!

All very well for other people to say "you will get fat again" however, there are a few things wrong with their statement.

1. Being pregnant is different totally to being fat and I always think it is out of order for pregnant women to be viewed as fat to be honest, they are NOT fat they are pregnant.

2. If you do NOT lose your excess weight and fall pregnant, all that is going to happen is you will have more weight to lose once you have had your baby. It would be nice to not have a double helping to lose afterwards :wink:

3. By other people suggesting you shouldn't bother losing your excess beforehand, they aren't thinking of your health really. You will be that much healthier and it will be better for both you and your baby if you are at a nice weight when you fall pregnant. Eating healthily now may also encourage you to continue eating healthily during your pregnancy. I mean that just has to be good doesn't it?

Good luck to you in your weight loss and in future pregnancies and births. Personally, for what it's worth, I think you have a spot on attitude :flowerforyou:
    in septy of 2008 i weighted 240..... found out i was preg nov 1st.....i still weighed 240.....wheni gave birth i was 242....i had actualy lost 17lbs ( i wasnt sick )i eventualy gained it back but id started eating healthier after i had her i weighed less than i did before i had her.... so me being heavy can tell ppl that just cause your big doesnt mean being preg will cause you to gain......actualy in the end after having baby most bigger ppl should either have lost weight or be where they started imo
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    That was my main motivation to change my lifestyle. Now that it's been 5 months I'm loving getting healthier and although it has been extremely challenging it was all worth it. My bf and I have gone looking at rings twice in the past month (his idea) so this is great strides, but no actual proposal yet. I have to find a ring first though I suppose. It's going to take me a while to find one I think. I'm super picky and I don't think that being a jewelry designer myself makes it easier. I need a ring with pizzazz, you know? Anywho...sorry, lol. I'm just glad our relationship is headed in the right direction and I'm doing my part to get healthy so that I can live that way forever. I know I'm going to be a great mom and I want to make sure I have the energy I will need to accomplish my dreams.
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is one of the reasons I want to lose weight. We are not TTC yet, but will within the next few years, and i want to be as healthy as possible before this time. Honestly, I want to be under 200lbs before I will feel ok with TTC. The heavier you are with a pregnancy, the more the chance of complications (both for mom and baby). Also i want to be sure my body is full of healthy stores of vitamins etc before I TTC.
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    That was my main motivation to change my lifestyle. Now that it's been 5 months I'm loving getting healthier and although it has been extremely challenging it was all worth it. My bf and I have gone looking at rings twice in the past month (his idea) so this is great strides, but no actual proposal yet. I have to find a ring first though I suppose. It's going to take me a while to find one I think. I'm super picky and I don't think that being a jewelry designer myself makes it easier. I need a ring with pizzazz, you know? Anywho...sorry, lol. I'm just glad our relationship is headed in the right direction and I'm doing my part to get healthy so that I can live that way forever. I know I'm going to be a great mom and I want to make sure I have the energy I will need to accomplish my dreams.

He may just pick one up and surprise you :) If you are looking at rings, the proposal could happen any day! Happened to me and I wasn't expecting it that soon!
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    That's what got me going.. Dr. told he he wont even talk to me about a baby until I lose weight....Also Getting married in a year and a half.. SO both these reasons are good enough for me to KEEP LOSING GOOD LUCK :bigsmile:
  • futureredheadhottie
    Options
    I am losing weight to get healthy and to look pretty have better self confidence. So I can find a man and get married and have children I want to be a healthy mom. I want atleast 3 kids and I am already 25 so I know I need to get this moving.
  • jessicajoy87
    jessicajoy87 Posts: 905
    Options
    I was like that too but I am glad I was over weight when I had my kids. When I look at the damage being pregnant had on my body I Iknow that if I was thinner my body will betotally wrecked. I don't think that losing weight for pregnancy is right. I think that you are setting yourself up for failure. You need to lose weight for you. Yeah you need to be healthier when you get pregnant but as of right now since you are not pregnant focus on you and your body. Good Luck.
  • Cina04
    Options
    I was like that too but I am glad I was over weight when I had my kids. When I look at the damage being pregnant had on my body I Iknow that if I was thinner my body will betotally wrecked.

since I had a belly I didn't have much stretch mark damaged =) My friends are jealous about that! Some of them were skinny and have red thick stretch marks. So I don't ever complain about mine lol
  • Cina04
    Options
    I too am doing the same. I just have not told many people. I dont want to hear the naysayers. I am doing this for me and so that I dont gain a ton this time. My second pregnancy i lost about 25 lbs but that 25 lbs of weight I gained the first time i was pregnant that i never lost. I gained over 60 wiht my first. I dont want to do that again. OOO and about having more girls when your overwieght, I wasnt over weight when I got pregnant with my first and she was a girl but my second I was veyr much over weight but had a boy ;)

you're very lucky! lol Most of our friends seem to be popping out boys and I seem to miss the boy trains and start the girl train LOL. I love my girls though and I always wanted my oldest daughter to have a sister. I'm just ready for some boys now!! LOL We had agreed that if we were having a boy no more kids. Guess it was meant for us to have more!! LOL