Walking inside

Options
LeeH31
LeeH31 Posts: 312 Member
I love to walk but I cannot do so until cooler weather. I have issues with heat rash & sun poisoning. :frowning: I also do not have room in my little house for a treadmill. So I was wondering if the "walk at home" walking was a decent alternative? I see a lot of Leslie Sansone on YouTube, she seems a bit too fast-paced for me unless I slowed down the playback speed.

Anyone else doing that?

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    Leslie isn't really that hard to follow, even if you aren't doing a brisk 15 minute mile. Just go at a pace that works for you. Alternately, put on some music and do the same moves (walk, high knees, kick, side step) without a coach. As long as you do it fast enough to feel your heart pick up its pace, you'll get some aerobic benefit, and any movement is good at strengthening or loosening muscles.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Another alternative is if you have an indoor shopping mall or other large, air-conditioned public building you can walk around in.

If you try that, I'd go during off-hours, like right when they open in the morning, so that it's not crowded.
  • LeeH31
    Options
    @spiriteagle99 good idea about the music. I just tried her beginners mile and the pace was a bit much for me. I did it, but could not do all the moves. But . . . I did it!

@SuzySunshine99 that is not an option here, but thank you for the suggestion. My parents used to Mall walk and they enjoyed seeing all the "regulars" early morning.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    There are lots of Leslie Sansone fans here, yes. I'm not one of them. I'm fine with regular walking, but her routine was hard on my knees, and in general I just didn't care for it, so like you I'll save walking for the cooler weather and meanwhile do other forms of cardio.

In addition to yoga and PT exercises, these are in my rotation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnaxj4ejDdM&list=PLUXvX9BaxgqG9yO5XWB3gA_QshvrrcjVr&index=13
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbWgGgRLp94&list=PLUXvX9BaxgqG9yO5XWB3gA_QshvrrcjVr&index=14&t=3s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIdAPUA3GY4&list=PLUXvX9BaxgqG9yO5XWB3gA_QshvrrcjVr&index=5&t=14s
  • LuckiS32
    LuckiS32 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I did one of her workouts last week while I watched tv. Go at your own pace and if something doesn't feel good to your body, walk in place until they move to the next workout. Good luck!
  • LeeH31
    Options
    @kshama2001 I find it makes my hips ache marching in place that fast. Probably isn't helping my knees either! Thanks for the video ideas. They look interesting and I will check them out. I think it would behoove me to work on my core strength and leg strength before tackling the aerobic exercise. My abdominal muscles are abysmally weak, the legs not much better. I cannot do anything on my knees, arthritis makes it too painful, even assisted squats are a challenge. I hate starting from scratch, but that looks like my best option for now.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    LeeH31 wrote: »
    @kshama2001 I find it makes my hips ache marching in place that fast. Probably isn't helping my knees either! Thanks for the video ideas. They look interesting and I will check them out. I think it would behoove me to work on my core strength and leg strength before tackling the aerobic exercise. My abdominal muscles are abysmally weak, the legs not much better. I cannot do anything on my knees, arthritis makes it too painful, even assisted squats are a challenge. I hate starting from scratch, but that looks like my best option for now.

The video with the guy is the most challenging for me, despite it saying "True Beginner." I think for the first exercise you are supposed to hold for 10 seconds, three times. Feel free to modify the heck out of it, such as holding for one second, once :smiley:

I often skip Plank, and I don't do the Get Up and Downs his way - I work in my physical therapy exercises in between his, so I am getting up and down a LOT.