Quest Bars having too much fiber?

Options
I was looking into new nutrition bars I could have for on the go snacks and I heard about Quest Bars. They seem great and all, but looking at the label I noticed that they're incredibly high in fiber. I notice that many companies these days are advertising their foods being high in fiber, but I'm starting to think this might not always be a good thing. Anyone that eats healthy generally eats a lot of fruit and vegetables, so they get a lot of their fiber that way. Logging my food on here I noticed that though my limit for fiber is 25 grams, I usually exceed it, just from my fruits, veggies, and whole wheat tortillas. And I know too much fiber isn't that good for you. Back to my point. Quest Bars have 16-18 grams of fiber in them, which is 68-72% your daily value of fiber... (found on http://www.questproteinbar.com/ ) I feel like I would most definitely go over my DRI of fiber if I were to eat these bars. Do you eat quest bars and do you notice you go over your fiber limit really easily? If you don't eat the bars, do you too think that that's too much fiber for a meal bar?

Replies

• RBurnham90
    RBurnham90 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I think 25 grams for a day is the bare minimum for fiber intake... You don't have to worry about getting too much if that's your daily goal. I don't eat Quest bars just because they're expensive, like $25 for only 12 bars, so not worth it in my opinion, but they're really good. I'm personally the same way with getting my fiber from fruits, veggies, oats/grains, and other sources as opposed to relying on a Quest bar for the majority of it.
  • bingefreeaubree
    bingefreeaubree Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I think 25 grams for a day is the bare minimum for fiber intake... You don't have to worry about getting too much if that's your daily goal. I don't eat Quest bars just because they're expensive, like $25 for only 12 bars, so not worth it in my opinion, but they're really good. I'm personally the same way with getting my fiber from fruits, veggies, oats/grains, and other sources as opposed to relying on a Quest bar for the majority of it.
    It just seems silly to use a bar to get all of your fiber when you could get plenty from fruits and vegetables. Glad you agree with me there. :) And I have a really sensitive stomach so I've found when I exceed 30 grams of fiber, for whatever reason, it has an adverse effect on me.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I don't rely on my quest bars for my fiber, but also don't know that I think they have 'too much' fiber. It's not like eating them means I don't eat fruits or veg, it just means I get fiber from both.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's not a maximum you have to reach. It's totally fine to go over on fiber.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Too much fiber? That's like too much protein... only possible if you have a medical condition that prohibits it.

Don't sweat the small stuff.
  • Bubbl3s25
    Bubbl3s25 Posts: 210
    Options
    I only look at Quest bars for the protein content.
    I eat plenty of vegetables and other fibre rich products. My macros are set for a fibre count of 30g and I have gone over this regularly for quite some time with no adverse effects to date.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    From the Quest ingredient page, for what it's worth:

though it's not considered a complete protein, which milk protein isolate is.
    IMO Fiber (Isomalto-Iligosaccharide)
    In order for Quest Bars to be usable as a complete meal, we wanted to ensure that they contained enough fiber to really matter. Almost every ounce of carbohydrate in our bars comes from fiber, which will keep your insulin levels low and your stomach satisfied. Fiber has been shown to do many things such as controlling hunger, improving digestive health and preventing certain diseases.
    IMO is a 100% natural fiber derived from plant sources that is very similar to the better known chicory root fiber. The two fiber sources are almost identical in taste, feel and texture but with one minor exception: IMO does not cause any intestinal upset whatsoever even for people with very sensitive stomachs. We use it to make sure that Quest bars can be complete meals for use whenever you want something convenient.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    You only need to worry if you're getting over 50 grams of fiber per day.
  • IZackV13
    IZackV13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Quest Bars were forged in the laboratories of the heavens, delivered on strength of the gods, and distributed to us by angels...

I would eat Quest Bars exclusively for the rest of my life if someone will provide the funds. Any takers?

My GNC has been running a "Buy 3 Get 1 Free" deal for like a month. STOCKED UP.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    It's pre-biotic fiber that is good for your gut bacteria (the good kind)... Eat up.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    As a pp said, 25 grams is the minimum fiber recommendation. Not to go into too much detail, but I need 35 grams or more a day to keep things normal. A Quest bar is a great way to meet that target.