Knowing when it's time to eat more!

Options

Replies

• nay0m3
    nay0m3 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 and @davew0000 i really appreciate you both weighing in!

I’m not sure I have it in me to bulk and cut! Unless someone tells me I need to try just to see then I think I’m going to try slow and steady! 🙂

I’d love to hear other thoughts/opinions!
  • batman4121
    batman4121 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The argument against GD can be applied to a lot of established influencers.. look at the vegan gainers for example.. years of animal protein and chemical enhancement then they promote plant based gains.!

Personally, I feel fitness is a journey of discovery of what works for you personally but regardless of your own bias the laws of nature apply.

We all know now that you need X amount of protein.

We all know you need X amount of reps for a certain outcome.

We all know calories above maintenance equal body fat.

Doesn’t matter how you reach your conclusions as long as you get there and see the bigger picture.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    nay0meh wrote: »
    For those that disagree-what advice or thoughts do you have? I can’t see who disagreed

"One true way: My way" posts tend to get a poor reception, so it may be that.

Some people have found bulk and cut beneficial, others prefer to pursue recomposition (whether rebranded by some YT influencer or not, it's still eating around maintenance +/-, getting good nutrition, running a good strength program . . . used to be known in the olden days as "getting in shape" 😆).

QFT. Bret Contreras advocates "main-gaining" (or "gain-taining"?); Mike Israetel advocates bulk/cut cycles. I personally lean more toward the Renaissance Periodization approach since I've had what I consider to be pretty decent success with it. But I know that different people like (and dislike) different things & respond differently, so while I most assuredly have my own preferences and opinions, I'm certainly not going to tell someone else that MY way is THE way.
  • coryhart4389
    coryhart4389 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Imo the advice given is good. If you want a shredded look, cutting a few calories is the answer. Maintain protein at 1 gram per pound and cut some carbs and fat. Your workout program looks excellent you just need more time. GL!
  • nay0m3
    Options
    @coryhart4389 @JBanx256 @AnnPT77 @batman4121 thank you all so much for your most recent info! I have to say...I have made progress on the total body workouts so far! I increased my bench FINALLY and reached 95 pounds which I know isn't super monumental but for me, it was a target of mine for months.
  • nay0m3
    Options
    So crazy someone flagged my picture when I am essentially wearing what is a bikini! OY!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your most recent info! I have to say...I have made progress on the total body workouts so far! I increased my bench FINALLY and reached 95 pounds which I know isn't super monumental but for me, it was a target of mine for months.

There is an incredible bench presser called Jennifer Thompson - really worth watching her Bench Press 101 tutorial on YouTube.
    After 30+ years of doing the lift I added a significant weight to the bar just from changing my technique after watching it.
  • nay0m3
    Options
    @sijomial FANTASTIC !!! I can't wait to watch later! Thank you for sharing! Curious if you have any other thoughts on how to progress in general? Thanks~~
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    @sijomial FANTASTIC !!! I can't wait to watch later! Thank you for sharing! Curious if you have any other thoughts on how to progress in general? Thanks~~

OK random rambling from someone who has been lifting on and off a bit longer than you have been alive.....

You have made fantastic progress in just ~2 years but that rate will slow, be prepared and not disappointed. On the flip side as you are already pretty lean just small changes in BF% will really make a big visual difference in terms of muscle definition.

Be ambitious but don't fall into the trap of being over critical of what "faults" you perceive. The person who flagged your picture is probably jealous!

Give your program a good and consistent go but be aware that people respond differently to different training stimulus and you may need to experiment in the future to find your best routine. That might be a different split or different rep ranges or volume.....

Enjoy the results of your hard work but also enjoy the process, that's what's kept me keep coming back to lifting decade after decade.

Cardio is for cardiovascular fitness and health, not for fat burning. Do more if you want to get fitter not because you think it will drive body composition changes. As someone currently averaging 10 hours/week of cardio I can tell you it doesn't to any great degree!
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    o3rakeabpih4.jpeg
    We are roughly the same age. I’m 42 and have been a chronic dieter since I was 12-13. You may benefit from a reverse diet. Add calories slowly and look at weekly averages for your weight. My calories were always super low, and I was able to reverse up from low 1200’s at the end of my cut.

I use InBody at my gym on a regular basis. Last fall I got down to 15% (according to InBody) but it was not maintainable for me. I had major insomnia & no cycle. Posting Pic for reference.
  • nay0m3
    Options
    @Talan79 I am really thinking I need to do something different with my nutrition. I have been consistently at the same weight for the past 1 year. I definitely see my legs changing, but I am wondering if I ate more if I would build muscle but maybe not gain fat? Do you weigh every day?

I also had an InBody that measured me at 15% but I am not sure that is accurate. I just dropped a day of weight training and doing cardio instead so I am doing 4 days of total body (and I have been increasing weight and/or reps in every session which is awesome-hit a PR on bench and hex DLs)

You look sleek and love your toned arms! How tall are you?

Where are you at for calories now? I am at ~1700.

THANK YOU <3
  • Talan79
    Options
    @nay0meh Im short, 5”2. I do weigh in daily and I use excel and look at weekly averages.
    InBody can be wonky. Always test under the same circumstances. First thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything. I was using it weekly during my cut, then sporadically during my reverse.
    Reverse is hard. Especially for someone like me who ate low calories for majority of my life.
    And I was ruined by the Adkins revolution in my 20’s thinking I can’t have carbs. My carbs are at 200 a day. Some weight gain is associated with a reverse, but not all fat so it’s nothing to stress over. I also took measurements. Thighs, waist, hips.

My energy level is so much better at 1850 calories than 1220. I also don’t do any cardio anymore. I walk a mile before I lift. And one after just to get steps in bc I’m at a desk most of the day.

I had worked with a pro bodybuilder coach before. Not that I was planning on competing by any means, but I needed a structured program. I now use Mark Carroll’s programs.
    I like it. It keeps me from resorting to the same workouts.
  • nay0m3
    Options
    Thank you so much @talan79!

If you are able to share your weight, that would be great! Feel free to private message me.

How heavy do you think you are lifting? What are your goals now?

I wonder if I should increase my calories some....I will have to read about reverse dieting. This is something I am not familiar with.

I would be curious to see your food diary as well! Just thoughts!
  • Talan79
    Options
    I don’t use MFP to track. I moved on to Carbon Diet Coach last year. I’ll DM you.
  • nay0m3
    Options
    I’m going to go for a bulk and cut cycle. Given that I want to build my legs and booty and I’m happy with my overall leanness and physique, I’m going to give it a shot and see what happens!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I’m going to go for a bulk and cut cycle. Given that I want to build my legs and booty and I’m happy with my overall leanness and physique, I’m going to give it a shot and see what happens!

Sounds reasonable.
  • newzane15
    newzane15 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    According to your pics, workout routine, and bf% you are very healthy. To get definition in your legs incorporate Barbell squats(compound exercise) and leg extension(isolation exercise).Squats are excellent for glutes too. Do 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps each. These two exercises are enough. Also continue doing those leg curls and add in seated calf raises too.
    Cardio is good for conditioning the entire physic. But don't overdo it. Cardio on non training days are enough.Combine and alternate between HIIT and steady state cardio. Since the upper body is in your desired shredded condition then it means you were following the right diet. No need to bulk and cut. Just focus on your lower body more with the above mentioned exercises.
  • nay0m3
    Options
    Thank you @newzane15 !! I just decided to try a bulk and cut cycle....but now I’m reading what you wrote and am questioning this decision along with my fear of gaining fat.

Thoughts? Would others offer their opinion as well? I’m really on the fence!
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Thank you @newzane15 !! I just decided to try a bulk and cut cycle....but now I’m reading what you wrote and am questioning this decision along with my fear of gaining fat.

If you have a fear of gaining fat then bulking probably isn’t for you. There will be some fat gain alas. You can minimise it by not gaining too fast.
    U dont have to bulk and cut if it’s going to be too distressing. U can just carry on training and stay at the same weight.

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options

If you are in fear if using fat, this might not be the time to bulk for you.

Also I respectfully disagree with @newzane15 assuming that you will respond robustly to leg extentions which is one of the least useful exercises for the legs. Also saying squats is excellent for glutes is extremely misleading. Maybe if you are doing low bar they will hit glutes a tad more than other variations but all squats is a quad primary lift and I wouldn't label it as excellent for glutes.

Only squats & leg extentions is rather poor choice of exercise selection for a random person.

If we are talking glutes, there are much more optimal ways to stimulate glutes one you are already performing(DL).

There are many options to do but perhaps the first one is to choose your caloric intake.

Your programming can be rather easy if you want to discuss with me.