MFP trying to make me but new phone

Options

I am very ticked that MFP is updating the app so that my IPhone 6 cannot be used because it is too old for the ISO update. I can not afford a new phone and the app should not be updating in a way that does not allow older phones to be unusable.

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Get used to it...almost all your apps will do this, it's not just something MFP does. The apps have to keep up with the OS updates on newer phones.

Apple, in particular, really REALLY wants you to buy a new iPhone, so they do everything possible to make your old one unusable by not offering updates for older phones.

It's very unfortunate, but at some point soon most of your apps won't work on your phone.

That's happened to me before, and it's very annoying, especially considering how expensive new phones are.
    If you have another device you can use MFP on...tablet or desktop...you may need to use that instead of your phone.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    all technology platforms become obsolete after a time. The way things are is the way things are. Even with PC's. No one is running win95 anymore.

You can certainly buy new phones that are not the cost of a new iphone or samsung phone. My husband has a Kyocera he loves. his was a bit more than many of their models, but it is a contractors grade phone, so much more durable than the typical phone (and that is, indeed true. He has proven that fact LOL). huwaii (might have spelled that wrong) is typically an affordable brand. My son has one of those. I am the only one in the house with a 'fancy' phone (as my husband calls it) and upgrade every 2-3 years or so, but thats just my choice and we're able to do so (trust me, i wasnt always able to do that). You can get refurb newer iphone or samsung models for a fraction of new ones. My husband also has a 'back up' phone he bought in case he loses or breaks this one from some website (I'll see if I cant find the link and either add it to this post or make another if its been too long). He didnt pay much for it, and he tested it and it works fine. this way he has one for immediate use (has to with his job) and can get his real replacement later or wait for it to come or whatever.

I have a newer iphone (not the most current one, but the one before that, whatever number it is, i cant keep up lol), but happen to prefer MFP on my laptop, and that is where I typically use it, and ALWAYS where I use the forums. If you have a tablet or other device, I imagine you could use it there, as well.

the site where hubby bought his 'back up' phone backmarket.com
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    You don't have to use the app, there's a desktop site.

But it's definitely not MFP specifically "making" you upgrade. It might be this is the first app that stops working because your OS is too out-of-date, but it certainly won't be the last.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,557 Member
    Options
    Thelinbc wrote: »
    I am very ticked that MFP is updating the app so that my IPhone 6 cannot be used because it is too old for the ISO update. I can not afford a new phone and the app should not be updating in a way that does not allow older phones to be unusable.

I hear you and understand the frustration.
    But it’s not MFP. It’s the evolution of technology.

On the bright side? In about a month a ton of second hand iPhone models from 7 to 12 will be going cheap on the second hand market.

One might be mine ;)