Weighing scale

Options
Helllo folks,

Which do you think is the best weighing scale to buy to calculate the pound lost..also how often should one weigh and at what time of the day?

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    The scale you use doesn't matter as much as how consistently you use it. A basic model from a big-box store is fine.

The important thing is to weigh under the same conditions as much as possible - whether you weigh daily, weekly, monthly, more or less often than that. The scale should be in the same place on a hard, level surface; you should be wearing the same clothes (or not wearing, as the case may be); and you should weigh at the same time of day/at the same point in your routine, to account for environmental/behavioral fluctuations. I think most people weigh first thing in the morning, in the nude, after using the toilet but before eating or drinking anything. You could weigh right after lunch fully clothed if you wanted to, as long as you did so consistently, because the specific number on the scale doesn't matter as much as the trend over time, which is harder to see if you weigh at inconsistent times and under inconsistent circumstances. If you stepped on the scale at 6 AM nude right after toileting, then again at 2 PM fully clothed right after lunch, the 2 PM reading will be significantly higher, but you didn't gain 5 lbs of fat in 8 hours.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ^^ that. you dont need a fancy one. i dont think ive ever spent more than $30 on one. I weigh at the same time, every day. In the morning, right before I get dressed.

my husband weighs at night after his shower, because he cant remember to do it in the morning.
  • rhauser44
    rhauser44 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The scale you use doesn't matter as much as how consistently you use it. A basic model from a big-box store is fine.

The important thing is to weigh under the same conditions as much as possible - whether you weigh daily, weekly, monthly, more or less often than that. The scale should be in the same place on a hard, level surface; you should be wearing the same clothes (or not wearing, as the case may be); and you should weigh at the same time of day/at the same point in your routine, to account for environmental/behavioral fluctuations. I think most people weigh first thing in the morning, in the nude, after using the toilet but before eating or drinking anything. You could weigh right after lunch fully clothed if you wanted to, as long as you did so consistently, because the specific number on the scale doesn't matter as much as the trend over time, which is harder to see if you weigh at inconsistent times and under inconsistent circumstances. If you stepped on the scale at 6 AM nude right after toileting, then again at 2 PM fully clothed right after lunch, the 2 PM reading will be significantly higher, but you didn't gain 5 lbs of fat in 8 hours.

Very well stated!
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything stated above, but I would also look into the features you want. I have a scale that displays a code that I scan with my phone and it imports and syncs across all my apps. I like it, but if I ever decide to upgrade I think I will go with the scale that uses wifi to sync.

This is my current model:
    https://www.target.com/p/appsync-smart-scale-with-body-composition-silver-weight-gurus/-/A-46790468#lnk=sametab