Stationary Bike VS Treadmill

Options
Today I went to my schools gym for the first time. I used the treadmill for about 35 minutes (had to get to class so had to have time to shower), and I burned it says about 180 calories for 35 minutes. After class I went back and used a stationary bike, the lower smaller ones, I believe they are referred to as Recumbent stationary bikes. The bike's computer stated I did 10 miles almost in 65 minutes, average RPM was 61 average HR WAS 117 though I reached up to 140 at times. Now 65 minutes on the bike and I was sweating more than I ever have on a treadmill, and it says I only burned about 209 calories. Does that seem correct? MORE work on a bike but less calories burned? I am confused on this, because I would think the bike wold burn more, I sure did sweat more!

Replies

• _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Buy yourself a HRM (preferably a POlar FT4) strap the chest strap and transmitter on, input your age, weight, height and gender into the HRM watch, then do your exercises. It will tell you how high your highest heart rate was, calories burned, and what your average HR was throughout your workout. Do it individually for both exercises, then you'll know what you burned more calories on.
  • Jennyd1314
    Jennyd1314 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    When I go to gym I burn more calories on treadmill than bike even though bike feels like a harder workout. I have a hrm.
  • FirecrackerJess
    FirecrackerJess Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    If I could get a Polar I would. Unfortunately I cannot right now.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I burn much more on a treadmill too even though I sweat much more and feel more tired on a bike. Makes little sense to me neither.
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If your body is less familiar with cycling, it will probably feel like harder work until you build on the muscles you're using? No expert, but that's my logic. A HRM is the most accurate way to know, but you know that..
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Might be down to the fact on a bike you're pretty much stationary and only really your lower half is moving whereas on a treadmill pretty much all of your body is doing some movement.

For me personally I use the treadmill after weights. I bang it on 12 incline and work my way up to 5 speed and do that for around 40 mins easily hitting my target of 400 cals.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Might be down to the fact on a bike you're pretty much stationary and only really your lower half is moving whereas on a treadmill pretty much all of your body is doing some movement.

For me personally I use the treadmill after weights. I bang it on 12 incline and work my way up to 5 speed and do that for around 40 mins easily hitting my target of 400 cals.

I've done a bit on 12.0 but found I was holding on to the top which is not good apparently? Now I have both incline and speed on 5.0 and walk without holding on. Burns 612 per hour for me.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Running is always more efficient at burning calories than cycling because you're carrying your bodyweight.

However, I'm more likely to stick to using a gym bike as I can do other things so I bought a recumbent one. :)
  • FirecrackerJess
    FirecrackerJess Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Well today was the first day I used the treadmill at the gym for the same amount as the bike. Although it says I did 10 miles (still find that hard to believe) on the bike, in the same time walking I only did almost 3 miles. The bike I burned as I said about 200 I think it was, for about 65 min. The treadmill I did 494 (the workout ended before I could make it to the 500 mark), in 65 min with a combo of 2.6-3.0 mph, and 0-3 incline. It would change on its own as the workout I chose, it would cycle between the different things. I think I will be sticking to the treadmill.