New bench press PR!

I benched 225 lbs today! 💪

Replies

• J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,535 Member
    Fantastic! It feels great right?
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Yay!!! I love it when I get a P.R. Kind of like a reward for all your hard work.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    congrats!
  • gentle_sir_hulk
    gentle_sir_hulk Posts: 52 Member
    Cool!
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    yeah buddy!
  • iamjamesarthur
    iamjamesarthur Posts: 1 Member
    Epic
  • golfchess6
    golfchess6 Posts: 64 Member
    Holy mackerel! That's a lot of weight you lifted. Congrats on the PR!
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    cool :-) well done mate. Thats like pressing me lol :-)
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Ahh yes that magical 225 congrats! That second plate is so gratifying to get up there. I remember where I was, who I was working out with etc. What is next for you?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Very well done!!!
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    nossmf wrote: »
    Any PR is a great PR, but there's something magical about hitting 225 on the bench press. When you slide that second large plate onto the bar, you get a visceral realization that you have just joined the big boys (and girls).

When the NFL players test during the combine as part of their pre-draft evaluations, one of the tests performed is the bench press using 225#. Sure, those monsters are repping out sometimes dozens of reps at a weight you have just barely eeked out a single rep, but fact is you can now compare yourself to them at a certain level... you may not be able to do as many reps, but gosh darn it, you can do just as much weight.

My days of hitting PR's are behind me (I rarely go fewer than 5 reps for joint preservation as I age), and my lifetime best of 285 was significantly higher than 225. Yet when I remember back over my lifting "career", the day I hit 285 barely registers (and only because I got injured during the lift)...but the day I hit 225 for the first time shines like a beacon in my memory.

Kudos, my friend. Enjoy the moment.

Yeah, this....

No matter how many reps I'm aiming for, #225 is the weight where I typically use a spotter.

I've ventured over #225 a few times here lately, but I'm not training for anything specific and I'm definitely not 20 years old any longer. Getting injured isn't in my future plans, so #225 seems like a logical benchmark (pardon the pun).

To the O.P. - congrats. Nice Effort and keep up the good work.
  • Eddie__Jones
    Eddie__Jones Posts: 197 Member
    congrats on your PR
  • UtahDon
    UtahDon Posts: 7 Member
    Congrats! I have always thought of 225 as the entry to being truly strong. I agree with @nossmf and @Motorsheen, it is likely the most important personal milestone and no matter how much stronger I got I never go beyond 225 without a spotter. Just curious, how long have you been lifting to get to that milestone?

Well done!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!