Question for those who are maintaining

Options
2»

Replies

• NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I exercise less often, but more effectively than when I was losing.

While losing I mostly walked (@ 45 minutes/day) and did a very small amount of resistance training. Immediately afterward I did lots of cardio (water aerobics, biking, DVDs, etc.) every day for around an hour. These days I lift weights three days a week and that's it for intentional exercise.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    My main work out is walking.
    I have been on maintance for over a year now.
    My weight stays in a 7 pound window.
    I am 5'2 and I weight 119, I want to stay at 117.
    I got was low as 112 but at my age, 61, it was not good.
    I t is very hard to keep the weight off,
    when my weight is "up" I walk more
    When I work it comes off,
    I work for schools so we have a lot of time off.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm actually exercising more. I am quite a bit older now, so my metabolism is slower.
    But, when I first lost? I kept up my exercise. For two reasons:

1. I was already and avid exerciser (weights and cycling back then) before I lost weight.

2. I figured my diet would slip from time to time, but I could stay consistent with my workouts.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I hit my goal the beginning of this month after changing my lifestyle in January, 2012. Actually I am 2 pounds below goal. I'm 5' 3.5" and am at 113 pounds - which I know is still "acceptable" for my height and frame. I still go to the gym 5 days a week, 1 zumba class and 1 yoga class. I just started using myfitnesspal last week and can't understand why crunches, planks, weighted exercises, etc. "don't count" as calories burned. Plus after I enter my food for the day, it keeps telling me that continuing to eat/workout as recorded will take me down to 105 by mid-September - which is not where I want to be. Any suggestions for maintaining?

eat more!
  • ctinawilson
    ctinawilson Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Up the weights! Everyone seems in agreement that this is the way to reduce body fat and you wont necessarily lose weight in the process, but you'll lose inches.

I use 8 & 12kg kettlebells currently 3 times a week, as well as one cardio session and lots of walking (i'm 5'3 and 118lbs) - my bodyfat is reducing but the scale remains the same :)
  • sagreenious
    sagreenious Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    People who keep weight off exercise, on average, an hour five days a week.

Really? Well my walk to and from work is 24 minutes each way, and then I cycle into town in Saturdays to get the food shop, and I go running 3 times a week. Nice to know i'm doing more than needed!
  • worldsbestauntie
    worldsbestauntie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Up the weights! Everyone seems in agreement that this is the way to reduce body fat and you wont necessarily lose weight in the process, but you'll lose inches.

I JUST started in with the 8lb weights and am not fully used to them yet! I don't think I am ready to up the weights more just yet!
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I joined mfp to tackle 10 pound I gained over a year a half, now soon to be 41yo and 5'1. This has been quite a journey for me. I was burning calories as much as I was eating 9-12 months ago. Finally these past 4 months I have made significant progress in losing 5 lbs. Well, I have the last 5 lbs and I was celebrating 102.6 for 4 days straight loaded on carbs yesterday and out of my sruprize 105.4.

I have had several knee injuries during this weigh loss n I am not able to exercise until I completely heal. I used to be a cardio queen, injured myself and gained and lost 5 lbs.

Trying really hard to focus on DIET alone. Deleted many friends unsupportive as I was not meeting my deficit at 1300 calories for 9-12 months.

I will definitely hope to nail these last 5 pounds and going to be EXTRA careful during the holidays as these was my biggest calorie consumption based on my speadsheet weigh-ins..
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I'm also in similar position to you, i'm at my desired weight now however there is still a bit of fat i want to reduce, working on changing my body comp in other words. I have upped my calories to maintenance on weight training days and the other days i eat at a small deficit, just the way i'm doing it for now..hope to loose further inches on my tummy.

For me i've kept up the exercise since moving to maintenance, while loosing i exercised at minimum 3 days a week, for me this was mainly julian michaels workouts and then the odd walk here and there. now i'm doing JM twice a week and have started a new strength training class that is once a week, i hope to up my bodyweight workouts though.

Best advice is to start strength training, for me that just started with buying dumbells and performing exercies at home, its a step in the right direction! :)