Jogging in hilly area

Options
Just wonder how this would work. Where I live there are lots of hills. So on a jog around the suburb I'll go up as many hills as I go down.
Obviously running up hill burns more calories were as coming down again burns fewer.
But does calorie burn even itself out? Or does coming down the hills again burn far fewer calories that by the end of my jog I haven't burnt as many calories that I think I have or that my calculator told me I have?

Replies

• sagreenious
    sagreenious Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think you're overthinking it. If you use a heart rate monitor you will get an accurate calorie burn. Possibly apps like endomondo (sp?) will work just as well too.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Definitely over thinking. I love hills; they really build up your butt muscles. Just take it easier than you think coming down. If you don't hit it right, you can injure yourself.
  • StuartW1991
    Options
    I actually agree that I am over-thinking it. But just as a matter of interest :P

Either way I have to come back down to get home so I may as well jog it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    running hill is awesome regardless of the burn...so is cycling.
  • sagreenious
    sagreenious Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Oh! Well have fun. I'm crap at going uphill.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    The answer is you'll burn more running hilly routes than flat. For the purposes of trying to track calories in a weight control program, unless you're into measuring gnat's butts, it's not significant for almost every course you'll be running. Understand why you're curious though!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you run the downhill. It can actually be harder holding yourself back during the downhill vs. going with it and running hard down it.