Carb free diet?

Options
My turn,

I am not interested in this diet, as I am currently bulking/seafood diet (see it and eat it). But my hubby is considering it. I can imagine we would have to include some carbs... could you really go totally carb-free?

Ok, now you go.

Replies

• ladyeofani
    ladyeofani Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It depends on a few variables. He also can't stay in a state of Ketosis for a very long time.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    It depends on a few variables. He also can't stay in a state of Ketosis for a very long time.

Why not?
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Carb FREE?? Highly unlikely. Extremely low carb? Possible, but challenging. There are lots of ketosis gurus on these boards. They have great tips. There's a ketosis thread, a few threads down. Check it out.
  • mrmagee3
    Options
    My turn,

I am not interested in this diet, as I am currently bulking/seafood diet (see it and eat it). But my hubby is considering it. I can imagine we would have to include some carbs... could you really go totally carb-free?

Ok, now you go.

Can you? Sure. Carbs aren't an essential nutrient.

Would eating 20g of leafy vegetables a day negatively impact what he's trying to do nutritionally? Probably not. Would it make it easier to get a wide variety of vitamins and minerals? Yeah.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the bad breath
  • neplainjanepas
    neplainjanepas Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    could you tell me what ketosis means? I haven't heard of this
  • mrmagee3
    Options
    could you tell me what ketosis means? I haven't heard of this

The person on an average diet derives energy primarily from glucose, a product of carbohydrate (and to a lesser extent, protein, and an even lesser extent, fat) metabolism. Once you subtract carbohydrates from the diet, your body begins to product ketone bodies, a byproduct of fatty acid metabolism. Your body will adapt to utilizing the ketones for energy, along with the small amount of glucose it can synthesize via gluconeogenesis -- this is referred to as nutritional ketosis.
  • Taniagirly
    Taniagirly Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've tried carb free, you lose weight fast but it comes back in because life unfortunately does involve a few carbs. I try now to just eat my carbs at breakfast, with things like oats or buckwheat pancakes. I don't get the insulin highs and sugar cravings and I'm not high on calories. I will also have an apple or banana later in the day, especially before a workout.
  • mrmagee3
    Options
    I've tried carb free, you lose weight fast but it comes back in because life unfortunately does involve a few carbs. I try now to just eat my carbs at breakfast, with things like oats or buckwheat pancakes. I don't get the insulin highs and sugar cravings and I'm not high on calories. I will also have an apple or banana later in the day, especially before a workout.

My life involves few carbs. I have been eating this way for well over a year.
  • Taniagirly
    Options

That's impressive, I've found it hard to fit into life with the planning etc if I'm not home.... How do you do it without getting hungry and going for the nearest sandwich? What have your results been like?
  • mrmagee3
    Options

That's impressive, I've found it hard to fit into life with the planning etc if I'm not home.... How do you do it without getting hungry and going for the nearest sandwich? What have your results been like?

I think, like with anything, it involves a little bit of planning. The willpower aspect of it was a bigger deal early on, eventually I realized that he benefits of eating this way were enough that a lot of carb-rich food doesn't appeal to me anymore.

Most fast food places will make you food however you specify (i.e. two mcdoubles, no ketchup, no bun, and a side salad with caesar dressing at McDonalds, in a pinch, is only a few net carbs and fits well in the keto macro profile), and there are always steakhouses and whatnot which are A-OK in my book.

I'm down about 75 pounds. I no longer log my food, because I've gotten to the point where I just kind of fall where I fall with regard to macronutrient consumption -- generally works out to around 70% fat, 25% protein, 5% or less carbs on days I jot stuff down just to see where I am.

Very rarely, I'll have an ice cream. Because ice cream is delicious. That's my treat to look forward to. :) It'll knock me out of ketosis for a day, then I'm back and good to go.
  • Taniagirly
    Options
    What about your cholesterol and uric acid levels? Have they suffered at all? I'm a med student so of course I like to see the total effect of a lifestyle, I know that diets rich in good fats work. My mum eats an avocado every day, but she eats no animal fats.
  • mrmagee3
    Options
    What about your cholesterol and uric acid levels? Have they suffered at all? I'm a med student so of course I like to see the total effect of a lifestyle, I know that diets rich in good fats work. My mum eats an avocado every day, but she eats no animal fats.

I don't have my exact numbers handy, but my doctor had prescribed me statins prior to going on this diet, and my trigs were in the 500s. As of about 6 months ago, I'm off statins, my HDL has increased, my LDL has stayed about the same, and my triglycerides are under 200. Once I get home, I could likely give you some actual numbers.

For what it's worth, I'm not completely convinced that the connection between blood serum cholesterol and CVD is very sound, but that's another discussion for another time.

I do bloodwork/urinalysis three-four times a year, and uric acid has never been an issue.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    why does your husband want to do a keto diet?

A lower carb intake can be beneficial if you are insulin resistant, otherwise just focus on getting enough P&F and stick to a calorie deficit and live a much more relaxed life where you don't have to avoid food groups.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I guess you could, but why would someone want to?????
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    You would be a grumpy sodd though.

Why doesn't your husband try getting his carbs from mainly fruits and veggies and avoid processed carbs like pizza etc. Low carb or no carb is a bad idea.
  • mrmagee3
    Options
    why does your husband want to do a keto diet?

A lower carb intake can be beneficial if you are insulin resistant, otherwise just focus on getting enough P&F and stick to a calorie deficit and live a much more relaxed life where you don't have to avoid food groups.

I don't think that avoiding a certain food group automatically causes your inference that the person doesn't live a relaxed life -- any more so than those who continuously wonder whether or not something will bump them over in calories, at least.
  • LJSmith1989
    Options

Why doesn't your husband try getting his carbs from mainly fruits and veggies and avoid processed carbs like pizza etc. Low carb or no carb is a bad idea.

Actually ignore me IIFYM!!!!
  • ndj1979
    Options

why can't you eat carbs in the afternoon or night?
  • ndj1979
    Options

so the vegetable carb is superior to the pizza carb?