sudden weight gain

Options
I am so frustrated. I had to take a couple of months off exercise due to a knee injury, but continued to lose weight because I was dedicated to my daily calorie counting.

Last week I started back Zumba (3 days) and started a strength training class on Friday. Our trainer gave us "homework" and last night I did those exercises too. (basic crunches, planks, push ups etc).

This morning I have gained 4 pounds. Four pounds! I am beyond frustrated. My hubby says I should expect some weight gain initially due to muscle but 4 pounds???

Replies

• btanton27
    btanton27 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    if u haven't been working out on a regular basis and jump right into it, it's most likely some water retention. Ur muscles will retain some fluids for a couple days but it will subside. give it a few days :)
  • lollypop114
    Options
    No, you shouldn't expect weight gain due to muscle, you haven't built muscle that quickly as even testosterone filled body builders struggle with that! What you should expect is water weight gain due to repairing your muscle's from suddenly jumping back into exercise.

Drink lots of water, have adequate rest days as well as keeping up your daily calorie counting and routine, the water weight will disappear in a few days as quickly as it came.
  • emeretta
    emeretta Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    but how do you *feel*?

it could be muscle. it could be the extra water (i hope) you are taking due to increased activity.

i went on a hiking trip. i weighed myself before i went and was down (woo!) but since it wasn't my normal day, i didn't log. when i got home 5 days later i weighed myself again, and was up almost four pounds from before i left.

i was discouraged too. until someone pointed out i had probably gained leg, back, and shoulder muscle, had consumed a lot more water than normal, trail food can be high in sodium, and i had consumed a lot more calories to keep my energy up through 8+hour days of hiking.

i think a minor gain in weight now will be nothing compared to the overall gain in health you will have being back to your old active self again :)
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    don't sweat it - like everyone says, its just water due to you exercising again :)
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    It is frustrating, but it is worth it. A temporary set back on the scales, but a long-term benefit in preserving muscle mass.