help..i dont want to look unporportioned

Options
2»

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Hi.i am 5'7 and currently weigh 175 i have lost 71 lbs so far. My worry is this: i still have alot of fat in my midsection but almost none below the elbow and above the chest. I know fat loss comes from all over and not a target spot...soooo...does this mean that by the time i have a flat nice belly that these other area will look like. Skeleton?

Thus enters the importance of resistance training. You don't have to push it as hard as I do and work hard to build large muscles, but lifting keeps you from looking like a skeleton in the arms. The last of my fat is in my thighs, but I lift and it keeps me looking proportionate.
  • staplebug
    staplebug Posts: 189
    Options
    You can thank genetics for that one. I know that no matter how much weight I lose, my arms will still look fat compared to everything else (and my boobs will be small). Even though you can't spot reduce fat, your genetics make you hold on to some areas more than others.
  • es513
    es513 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Losing fat is always disproportionate. It is always taken from the face and extremities first and then from the midsection last. Typically guys lose their gut last and gals lose their hips last. I am sure it was some genius survival adaptation we picked up as humans along the way to help us survive running away from animals that wanted to eat us. Best thing is to take the long view. Lose fat, tone and eventually it will get to the spots you want to lose. You can go a long way fast by toning but spot toning will never remove the fat from that area first.

^ LOL!!!! This
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    I do kind of understand OP's concern, (even with the snide remark by 1PatientBear)

I am borderline underweight at 110lbs...but I still tend to carry some "fluff" around the middle. and that's where fat goes first for me...I don't want to drop more weight, because yes, my arms and legs look skinnier and skinner and I still have the fluff in the belly area.....so I tend to eat at maintenance and strength train....try to maintain what muscle I have and try to lose the little bit of fat that's left...

I don't know if this will be successful yet, or if I will need to try another bulk and cut.

So yes, I would recommend strength training, but still eating at a deficit if you have a lot to lose
    Yup i am in the same boat... 115ish lbs and still got a belly to boot.
  • tabathavm
    tabathavm Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Ahhh thanks sooo much guys! I feel alot better. I had no idea that fat loss goes where it wants haha..i do use dumbells in my workouts.. but want to start strength training soon.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Ahhh thanks sooo much guys! I feel alot better. I had no idea that fat loss goes where it wants haha..i do use dumbells in my workouts.. but want to start strength training soon.

Aaaahhhh....no time like the present. Your body will love you for it.