Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Psychological weight loss therapies

Options
refactored
refactored Posts: 399 Member
I have been reading up on Acceptance and Commitment therapy for weight loss. This Ted talk tries to give a quick introduction. https://youtu.be/tTb3d5cjSFI

Has anyone else used this or other psychological therapy for weight loss? Is it just a gimmick or can it really help?

Replies

• refactored
    refactored Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your experiences. I will look into that book on binge eating. It might be helpful for me.
  • xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have definitely found that a therapist or life coach can be very helpful for weight loss and improving healthy lifestyle. I haven't used ACT per-se.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Therapy for me was huge in my weight loss.

Not that therapy ever directly addressed weight or eating, because that wasn't relevant. But over eating or over drinking tend to be the product of trying to meet unmet psychological needs through self medication.

Therapy helps meet those needs in healthier ways. Healthier coping = healthier behaviours overall.
  • al0481113
    al0481113 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Silva method works great.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Xellercin wrote: »
    Therapy for me was huge in my weight loss.

Not that therapy ever directly addressed weight or eating, because that wasn't relevant. But over eating or over drinking tend to be the product of trying to meet unmet psychological needs through self medication.

Therapy helps meet those needs in healthier ways. Healthier coping = healthier behaviours overall.

I've had similar experiences. Eating/drinking isn't the actual problem... it's the manifestation of problems.