FAFF -Fit as bleep for fifty

Options
In February, when I turned 49, I set myself the target of losing weight and reaching optimal fitness in time for my 50th birthday. Well, it’s now almost October and I have truly ‘faffed’ about and barely even began.
Realistically, I now have just over 4 months to achieve my goals. I have about 20lbs to lose and I’m not in terrible shape.
I’m a working mum (nurse), my workplace is full of chocolate and cakes which I mostly resist. I log over 15000 steps a day but I absolutely love great food. Bread is my nemesis. It’s just so lovely and squishy and varied and I simply must try every type of loaf ever made.
I’m hoping to find friends online to help keep me motivated (and mostly breadless). Honestly, bread is my gateway drug…..leads to tea loaves, and afternoon tea in lovely quaint tea shops that serve several cakes and scones in addition to sandwiches……,
I need help……

Replies

• Allaesa72
    Allaesa72 Posts: 1,197 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Same!! I have 7 months to 50 and really started being consistent with workouts 7 weeks ago. I just want to feel strong and healthy, not tired and sore all the time.
    I love bread but my true nemesis is cake and Mexican food. I have added more fruits to my diet. But veggies elude me lol.
    I too am on my feet all day, I work in retail pharmacy. But don't always hit 10,000 steps a day. Sometimes I'm just standing and counting pills or standing and typing at a computer.
    I too am looking for a place to say, hey I did or didn't do anything today. Very interested in a good support group.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    mpayne1202 wrote: »
    In February, when I turned 49, I set myself the target of losing weight and reaching optimal fitness in time for my 50th birthday. Well, it’s now almost October and I have truly ‘faffed’ about and barely even began.
    Realistically, I now have just over 4 months to achieve my goals. I have about 20lbs to lose and I’m not in terrible shape.
    I’m a working mum (nurse), my workplace is full of chocolate and cakes which I mostly resist. I log over 15000 steps a day but I absolutely love great food. Bread is my nemesis. It’s just so lovely and squishy and varied and I simply must try every type of loaf ever made.
    I’m hoping to find friends online to help keep me motivated (and mostly breadless). Honestly, bread is my gateway drug…..leads to tea loaves, and afternoon tea in lovely quaint tea shops that serve several cakes and scones in addition to sandwiches……,
    I need help……

Based on your description of your love of bread, tea loaves, afternoon tea in quaint shops, cake, scones... I need to visit you to verify this situation. I regret to inform you, however, that I will most likely not be part of your success. I will voluntarily try all of the above items for you and give you a full written report. I'm sure we could be best friends :love:
  • Allaesa72
    Options
    😂🤣😂🤣 excellent!♥️
  • mpayne1202
    mpayne1202 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Aw ladies, you have made me laugh this evening.
    Curly girl….you are most welcome. I can feast with my eyes only, ‘tis s great plan.
    Allaesa, I feel your ‘standing around’ pain. Until earlier this year I was a district nurse so step count was very low but squats of about 100 a day. If I lose a little wobble I reckon there are fine muscles on these thighs. ☺️
  • mpayne1202
    Options
    Tonight I day on my bed all evening 🤣🤣🤣
  • mpayne1202
    Options
    Excuse the typos…..long day
  • mpayne1202
    Options
    Ok.
    20 weeks, goal of 1lb a week. I’m calorie counting, aiming for 1600 a day but won’t stress if it edges up to 1700.
    If this darn fuel panic continues I’ll be fine on account of having empty petrol tank and cycling for 2 hours a day to get to work!!!!!!!
  • Allaesa72
    Options
    There's a fuel panic? I walk to work😁 Not 2 hours though.
  • mpayne1202
    Options
    Not gonna lie…..had a bad day yesterday! Spent 6 hours with son in minor injuries and spiralled into a bread-fest afterwards.
    I reward myself with food and punish myself with food! Crazy!
    So, back on the horse today……
    I have planned every morsel until tea…
    Wish me luck 🍀 (that would be a rhetorical question if it were a question at all 🤣).
  • Allaesa72
    Options
    Aw. Sorry to hear that. I hope he's doing better. It's always best to have a plan👍 You've got this! 🌞
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,359 Member
    Options
    I was in the best shape of my life at 42, but boy did I fall off the wagon. I turn 48 in a little over a week and am determined to get my mojo back by the time I'm 50. I was breadless then and need to et back to it. Would love to be friends and share the good, bad & possibly yummy.

I'm Nikki
  • mpayne1202
    Options
    Hi Nikki, absolutely, delighted to chat.
    Allaesa, he’s fine today, much improved thank you.

Had soup and bread (🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣) for my tea. Finished off some lovely seeded granary stale (but nonetheless) heavenly stodgy. Matchbox size slab of cheese not really an ideal addition but was so worth it. Promised myself to but only nasty white bread that I don’t really like and my son loves from today.

Daughter and I completed a ‘Nobreadmer’ a couple of years back. Prizes for play on words to make October and bread related products into a catchy deterrent-sounding month 😉
  • mpayne1202
    Options
    Buy…..obvs not but, tho butt would work….
  • mpayne1202
    Options
    I’ve also linked my Fitbit to this app. Progress.

• jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,205 Member
    Options
    If anyone of you wonderful people would like to try a team approach to get to (or at least closer!) to your goal by 50 - I think you'd really enjoy this one. You can even all request the same team!

This group offers great support, all kinds of great ideas, and daily accountability. Check out Fat2Fit Weight Loss Challenge and Support Group - it is "home" to some wonderful people.

Go first to https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/114605-fat-2-fit-weight-loss-challenge-and-support-group

Be sure to read some of the team chat threads (under "Discussions") to see if one of the teams fits your style. There are 6 teams, but only about 25 people per team, so you get to know everyone pretty easily.

If you want to sign up, there is a registration thread under "Announcements" where you can also see the current group challenges, a summary of how things work, etc. Hope to see you there!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,641 Member
    Options
    Dang I wish I was 50 again. Little less pains back then.

So you HAVE to have a specific plan to lose weight and meet a goal. And I always tell all my clients to WRITE IT DOWN on paper. Keeping it in your mind or just thinking of it doesn't do as well for some reason.

Plan has to be concise and doable, yet a little challenging. Weight loss is about calories in and out bottom line. Lots of my clients eat bread. They just have learned how to moderate it through discipline.

As for fitness, do something to get your heart rate up for at least 20 minutes a day. Almost doesn't matter what it is as long as it's physical and keeps you safe from any major injury.

I have many many clients over 50 that do well and improved significantly in weight and fitness because we take a sensible approach and are CONSISTENT with day to day behavior.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,359 Member
    Options
    So y'all, any plans for October? I'm skipping the scale this month and focusing on meeting my nutrition goals.
  • mpayne1202
    Options
    Hello. Skipping scales sounds great. We can focus too much I think upon perceived successes based on the numbers on the scales without taking into account a hundred or so factors that may be relevant and influencing a possible lack of change (and even be very positive). I don’t weigh myself too often and notice a change in body shape and how my jeans fit my body….or very much not.
  • mpayne1202
    Options
    Thanks for the advice ninerbuff. Totally agree with the calories comment and you are correct in saying that bread can be enjoyed when trying to reach goals. I’m just a glutton for the stodgy stuff and it’s where my willpower waivers and is the dangerzone for my emotional eating demons.

For me I think a busy and active working day in a very emotional environment (I’m a chemotherapy nurse) takes its toll on my resolve sometimes. I love my job so much but can sometimes fail to compartmentalise.

I’m going out more in the evenings for walks even though I’ve already been very active during the day. Nature helps me cope with feelings of helplessness. If I’m honest, I think my son’s recent diagnosis of MS has hit me like a train at full speed. He’s gone away to uni too and I’m so proud of him, but so afraid for his future. He is so young (19) and has experienced v active disease.

When the universe seems to conspire against us it is so difficult to remain strong in all aspects of our lives. Part of me wants to go out and get very drunk but I’m too responsible so I just eat silly food against my better judgment just to rebel. Close friends also try to support me and pop round, often bringing cake or lovely cheese, crackers and jam.

So that’s my soul laid bare, but I remain focused and want to say how much I am inspired and motivated when notifications from here pop up into my phone promoting me to congratulate one of you for completing exercise goals etc. So thank you all x