10 diet rules that are proven wrong!

Options

Replies

• Hannah_Hopes
    Hannah_Hopes Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    1.) Of course you CAN skip breakfast if you want to but it's better to eat breakfast because, as the name says, it breaks your fast. Breakfast is quite an important meal but if you want to skip it, by all means feel free.
    2.) Of course it's OK to eat a big meal, that is up to personal preference but generally it is better to go from big meal to small meal. Of course, it depends on the person. Everyone divides their calories differently and one should figure out what works best for them.
    3.) Yeah snacking really doesn't affect metabolism that's been known for ages *yawn* boring fact.
    4.) There are CERTAIN carbs that are good for losing weight, for example lentils are good because they are a complex carb.
    5.) Vitamins in pill form are not worth buying. The best way to get vitamins is through your diet. When you take vitamin in pill form, you don't absorb enough of it to be worth taking. While it may say there's x amount in each capsule your body only absorbs a very small portion of that.
    6.) Exercising on an empty stomach is good if you're looking to lose a certain kind of weight. Do research on what to eat before exercising. It truly depends on the exercises you're doing! Are you building muscle? Burning calories? Burning fat? Different foods help each different thing.
    7.) *siiiiiiiiiiiiigh*
    8.) Don't fast. Fasting for religious reasons? Fine. Otherwise? Please don't.
    9.) You're right, going organic won't necessarily help but if you buy foods from farmers' markets you're more likely to know exactly what's in them and there won't be added things that are really bad for you and assist in putting on weight. In fact, knowing what is in your food is really important to losing weight so if you're going to buy bread, yogurt, whatever, I suggest buying it from a farmers' market where you can actually find out what goes into your food!
    10.) There is most definitely such a thing as too much protein. Everything should be portioned out correctly and there is a certain maximum amount a person should eat a day. It is something that is going to be different based on height, body composition, exercise routine, medical issues, etc. Too much protein is BAD.

Hope this helps :wink:

:flowerforyou:
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Science means never having to cite anything.
  • xtrasmall
    Options
    yaa i think u should have started off by clarifying that these are the things u should do haha
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm just glad I don't diet so I don't have to read or adhere to rules or keep track of whether or not they are true or false this week.

yep
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,698 Member
    Options
    1.) Of course you CAN skip breakfast if you want to but it's better to eat breakfast because, as the name says, it breaks your fast. Breakfast is quite an important meal but if you want to skip it, by all means feel free.
    Doesn't that really mean that the first meal one eats then is break fast? Mines after 12pm.
    4.) There are CERTAIN carbs that are good for losing weight, for example lentils are good because they are a complex carb.
    In the end, all carbs are broken down to glycogen for the body. Some carbs have better nutrient value, but GI doesn't matter that much when it comes to weight loss.
    Fasting for 24 hours isn't harmful to the body. If there is I'd like to see it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • qsmoss
    qsmoss Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know for one the number about snacking makes no sense...If it helps or not with metabolism Im not sure but I stick to the eating every 2-3 hours for a few reasons before my weight lost I was on no plan as far when to eat i just ate when I felt the need. Now with calorie counting and working out I need to stick to a plan Breakfast at around 7-8am 2-3hrs later I may have a fruit orange or apple 10-11am around 1-2pm i have my lunch around 4 i have a light snack protein shake or bar i wait an hour then hit the gym I eat dinner by 7:30 then maybe some nuts if i feel the need after but keeping this schedule has helped me keep the weight off so long story short it may not help with metabolism but it sure helps me stay on top of eating right
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    10 diet rules that we had wrong (backed by science & featured in shape magazine):
    1: You CAN skip breakfast if you want.
    10: There is no such thing as too much protein. Just keep an eye on calories.

2.) Of course it's OK to eat a big meal, that is up to personal preference but generally it is better to go from big meal to small meal. Of course, it depends on the person. Everyone divides their calories differently and one should figure out what works best for them.
    3.) Yeah snacking really doesn't affect metabolism that's been known for ages *yawn* boring fact.
    5.) Vitamins in pill form are not worth buying. The best way to get vitamins is through your diet. When you take vitamin in pill form, you don't absorb enough of it to be worth taking. While it may say there's x amount in each capsule your body only absorbs a very small portion of that.
    6.) Exercising on an empty stomach is good if you're looking to lose a certain kind of weight. Do research on what to eat before exercising. It truly depends on the exercises you're doing! Are you building muscle? Burning calories? Burning fat? Different foods help each different thing.
    7.) *siiiiiiiiiiiiigh*
    9.) You're right, going organic won't necessarily help but if you buy foods from farmers' markets you're more likely to know exactly what's in them and there won't be added things that are really bad for you and assist in putting on weight. In fact, knowing what is in your food is really important to losing weight so if you're going to buy bread, yogurt, whatever, I suggest buying it from a farmers' market where you can actually find out what goes into your food!
    10.) There is most definitely such a thing as too much protein. Everything should be portioned out correctly and there is a certain maximum amount a person should eat a day. It is something that is going to be different based on height, body composition, exercise routine, medical issues, etc. Too much protein is BAD.

Hope this helps :wink:

Where do you get your sources from? I'd like to see you back most of what you're asserting as fact here.

- "it's better to eat breakfast because, as the name says, it breaks your fast" - how is that a reason?
    - "it is better to go from big meal to small meal" - Why? I don't think that's true.
    - "lentils are good because they are a complex carb" - How is being a complex carb in itself a reason for why something's good at losing weight?
    - Why are you sighing at eating saturated fats? I recommend you do research on this if you still think saturated fat is evil.We've been eating saturated fats for a long long time and it never caused the health issues that we see today.
    - Why not fast? I fast and have found it to really helps me. I'm more alert in the mornings and it helps me stay within my calorie limits. There is also a lot of evidence that it helps with general health as well.
    - It is true that there *could* possibly be such a thing as too much protein. I think that this is a non-issue for 99% of the population though. Unless you're pounding back whole chickens, protein shakes and bars, and more protein shakes and bars, I don't think there's much of an issue. It's like saying 'There is no such thing as drinking too much water'. Yes, you can definitely go overboard and get water poisoning, but as a general rule, people aren't going to harm themselves by having too much water.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Hmm... they may be "proven" but if they are they must show me that facts.

Because I surely am not going to try to eat more saturated fats? I think almost everyone gets enough of those to keep their kidneys healthy.

Vitamin d3 is a fat soluble vitamin (meaning if you have to much you will not just pee it out like you will with vit b&c) so I would suggest anyone adding this "weight loss pill" to their diet to talk to the doctor first.

The snacking I totally disagree with. So this diet rules say that I be be fine getting all my calories in at lunch & dinner. No way! Skipping all my snacks and breakfast would be so silly and wouldn't help me what so ever.
  • AutumnisBSB
    AutumnisBSB Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    ]

Actually from my experience as a nurse and having multiple patients on and off Vitamin D with weekly and monthly labs to prove whether it is working or not this is incorrect. I have personally seen it work in too many patients. Not to say that happens with all.
  • GymRatGirl13
    GymRatGirl13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    All I have to say is that I would never listen to Shape magazine in terms of a reliable fitness and nutrition source, considering they are funded primarily by ads advocating diet pills and full of articles that feed the diet industry, as a whole. Steer clear of trash magazines like this... :-)
  • AutumnisBSB
    AutumnisBSB Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Let's just all do what works for US.
  • challenger9509
    challenger9509 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Doesn't that really mean that the first meal one eats then is break fast? Mines after 12pm.
    In the end, all carbs are broken down to glycogen for the body. Some carbs have better nutrient value, but GI doesn't matter that much when it comes to weight loss.
    Fasting for 24 hours isn't harmful to the body. If there is I'd like to see it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Agree!!
  • pattyproulx
    Options
    Hmm... they may be "proven" but if they are they must show me that facts.

Because I surely am not going to try to eat more saturated fats? I think almost everyone gets enough of those to keep their kidneys healthy.

Vitamin d3 is a fat soluble vitamg thisin (meaning if you have to much you will not just pee it out like you will with vit b&c) so I would suggest anyone addin "weight loss pill" to their diet to talk to the doctor first.

The snacking I totally disagree with. So this diet rules say that I be be fine getting all my calories in at lunch & dinner. No way! Skipping all my snacks and breakfast would be so silly and wouldn't help me what so ever.

I recommend you re-visit your stance on saturated fats. Before recently, saturated fats were a staple in our diets and CVD and obesity were nowhere near it's current levels. Only in the 1950s and 1960s did people start replacing their butter with margarine and other vegetable oils.

You disagree that snacking doesn't boost your metabolism? I think that's been proven. It's not saying not to snack; it's saying that snacking "to try and keep your metabolism running" is a waste of time (and I remember thinking this years back and packing myself a huge lunch full of snacks because I didn't want to go too long without eating. What a pain in the *kitten* that was).
  • pattyproulx
    Options
    ]

Actually from my experience as a nurse and having multiple patients on and off Vitamin D with weekly and monthly labs to prove whether it is working or not this is incorrect. I have personally seen it work in too many patients. Not to say that happens with all.

That is actually very interesting. Thanks for the information.
  • necolong1014
    Options
    I think that this information is not ok for everyone. I can't skip meals or I will pass out as I have low blood sugar and can even die. I know for my health I need to eat small meals a lot during the day and I must eat slow burning carbs from all natural sources. Organic equals raw foods grown without chemicals how can you not lose weight on fruit and veggies? Protein over consumption from meat causes high cholesterol, increased weight and can lead to lots of other health issues. I avoid meats and processed foods and I have lost over 120 lbs in less than a year without passing out or even having a problem with my low blood sugar. Beware of these things because they are from studies on certain types of people and certain age groups. Remember every body like every person is different so really this is meaningless. If you are unsure how to eat contact a dietitian or your doctor not a health mag.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Assuming "diet" means eating for fat loss, there really is only one proven diet rule. Consume less than you burn.

Actually fat loss is affected by ones diet. There are certain amounts of certain foods to be eaten that affect fat loss. You can find general "rules" in Diet for Dancers (I'm a ballet dancer which is why I say that book but I'm sure there are others out there) but of course these "rules" should be tailored to each persons' needs. Also when I say diet I mean what you eat because that's your diet.

And these are 'proven' to increase fat loss above and beyond calorie deficit? By how much?
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    SHAPE magazine did the article. My news station reported on it. So i guess you could check out shape online to find the article.

One second with Goole gave me:
    http://www.shape.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-strategies/10-unbelievable-diet-rules-backed-science

Now if only there was a single link to a peer reviewed study in the article, or the name of such a thing. Instead we get "a study published in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research" and " Research published in the International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism"... Didn't they bother to note the name of the study, who did it, etc, or is there to much worry that a month or two from now something might be questioned?
    You said your news channel...not sure if that means the one you watch or if you work for it, but really, is this what is allowed in journalism now days? My high school teacher would have given me an F if I had turned in something like this.
  • MsMimidoll
    MsMimidoll Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    And next month, there will be an article in another magazine with vague "scientific" backup that says all the above are right.
    this
  • michail71
    michail71 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm actually impressed Shape magazine published this. Though it's a shock article to rile the false "conventional wisdom" that people cling to.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person. I can't exercise on an empty stomach..... I end feeling sick. I also can't skip breakfast for the same reason. Every person should do what works for them.