Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    mourvedre wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    mourvedre wrote: »
    Most canned soups are pretty easy on the calories. I don't really care for any canned soup but do keep some boxes of Pacific Red Pepper and Tomato soup I get from Costco, as well as a lentil soup I get there (can't remember the name) that comes in microwavable pouches that are convenient for those times I've not been able to prepare my lunch for work. They're both pretty good. Not sure about the sodium...I do have hypertension, but I experimented with a really low sodium diet for several months and it didn't really change anything and ended up getting a lot of cramps when exercising, so it's not something I worry about too much these days, though I don't go overboard.

Speak to your doctor and see if he/she thinks a magnesium supplement might help with your cramps. I used to have cramps, at-night, even prior to lowering my sodium intake. I added more potassium to my diet (via food) and started to take a magnesium supplement (on the advice of my doctor), and I haven't had any problems with cramping since then.

I, personally, am not a big fan of most supplements, but if I find something THAT WORKS, then I use it. Again, speak with your doctor.

Yeah, I've been taking a magnesium supplement for years at night before bed. I also get quite a bit of potassium in my diet. I started at the end of 2012 and cut sodium down to less than 1500 Mg per day and that's when I started having issues with cramping. I'm an endurance road rider and a mountain bike weekend warrior and sweat heavily here in the desert. My blood work at the time showed my blood level potassium to be well within the normal range, but my blood level sodium was low...I assume I was sweating a lot out. They are both well within normal now.

Isn't 1500 mg per day the recommended MINIMUM? As an endurance athlete, I'm guessing you would probably require more, especially due to the hot conditions.

Do you take any electrolyte solutions during training/racing?

In 2012/2013 I had no idea what I was doing. Dr. wanted me to lose weight and start exercising and cut my sodium due to my hypertension. At first, it was pretty light exercise, but in 2013 I really got into road riding and started training for races and other endurance events and training 100+ miles per week which is when I started having issues with the cramping.

My first event was a half century in May 2013 (was supposed to be a century, but long story). I had started using coconut water on my training rides and my event ride. Shortly after, I met my coach/trainer and things improved a lot in regards to the way I was training as well as nutrition for what I was doing, including electrolyte support. He also told me he thought it would be fine to up the sodium and felt that was a big part of my problem with it being so low, as my hypertension had leveled off to normal levels. I found pickle juice to be a fantastic remedy.

I haven't done any real endurance stuff event wise in a couple of years now. I just kind of got tired of the training and staying on top of my mileage, etc and just wanted to ride and have fun. Not to mention life just got busy when my kids started playing soccer and doing archery with practices and games/matches, etc. The most I really do these days is 25-30 miles with my buddies on the weekend, or we go mountain biking.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,387 Member
    Options
    Pacific brand Light sodium Creamy Tomato soup is a staple in my house.
    340 sodium, 110 calories, and 17 carbs per cup. Not bad for a store bought soup.

Add a grilled cheese sandwich and it’s heaven.
  • kerrycfendley
    kerrycfendley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i love that old school canned soup
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    ehju0901 wrote: »
    So we are getting into "soup season" here in Minnesota and sometimes I like to just have a quick can of soup when I don't have time to make homemade. Has anyone found any that are "decent" in calories and sodium? I was reading some of the nutrition facts on some of the cans and found some that I find better than others, but was curious if anyone had any go-to brands they go with?

I like Amy's soups. They're good quality and some are low sodium. My second choice would be low-sodium Progresso. Both are sold here in PA in all the grocery stores.

https://www.amys.com/our-foods?page=2

• MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Wow, I guess I'm the only one here who finds Progresso canned soups utterly taste-free.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I think the last 2 cans I bought were Campbell's Chunky. Not low sodium, but not as high as most restaurant & snack food (I don't watch my salt intake, but don't enjoy being extremely thirsty later on... the Campbells was fine in this regard). They won the soup comparison (between tasty looking options that I picked up to check nutritional info) based on calories and grams protein. (Most canned soups are pretty meager on the protein source to save money).
  • MsCzar
    Options
    MsCzar wrote: »
    Wow, I guess I'm the only one here who finds Progresso canned soups utterly taste-free.

So I assume that the above Disagreer also doesn't like Progresso? :D:D:D

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I stock up on Progressi lite and Amy's Organics soups whenever they're on sale.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I bought a bunch of soups pre covid in case I was unable to cook (hasn't happened). It's nice to have them here just in case even though I haven't eaten any of the canned stuff I bought (and I paid no attention to sodium) and instead have been making soup at home a lot (I love soup), but of what I bought what I consumed is some Rao Italian Wedding Soup, which I find tasty, but it's mostly for don't want to cook times -- 710 mg sodium which might bother some but I don't care, and then some Vigo beans and rice. The black beans and rice are 380 cals for 1/2 a package (2 servings), plus 14 g protein, 10 g fiber, 1900 mg sodium (so a problem for anyone worried about sodium, but I'm not, especially for something I consume rarely). This is something I used to eat a lot before I knew how to cook well and I'd add veg and feta (still do) and you can also add other sources of protein and thus reduce the serving size -- it's supposed to be a side dish after all, I just normally double the serving size and have it as a main dish with veg (whatever is in the frig). Not saying it's the best option nutritionally, but I like it and keep it on hand for no time to cook/can't manage it days.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,387 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    ehju0901 wrote: »
    So we are getting into "soup season" here in Minnesota and sometimes I like to just have a quick can of soup when I don't have time to make homemade. Has anyone found any that are "decent" in calories and sodium? I was reading some of the nutrition facts on some of the cans and found some that I find better than others, but was curious if anyone had any go-to brands they go with?

If you have access to a dehydrator you can easily make nutritious instant soup packets.
    My basic recipe is 1 part each of instant rice, TVP, and dehydrated vegetables. Season with a mix of nutritional yeast, garlic powder, and any herbs you like. This keeps in airtight jars for years. Just add boiling water. Super filling too.

The name of the recipe is Granny Wobbles’ Soup For My Family
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options

:smiley: I'm not a fan of Progresso but am not one of your disagreers.

I'm interested to see all the fans of Pacific, because where I am (South of Boston) it is only available at Whole Foods. Maybe it is more available other parts of the country, or y'all are WF shoppers. (Or I'm wrong; see below.)

I love their cream of chicken soup for chicken casseroles, and cream of mushroom soup for green bean casserole and pot roast. Have not yet tried their other soups. I have the mushroom soup on my shopping list. WF is now charging $10 for delivery in my area and it is not convenient to go there in person. But thanks to this thread, I've looked it up and learned I can also get it at Shaw's:

https://www.pacificfoods.com/our-products/condensed-soups/organic-cream-of-mushroom-condensed-soup/

For those of you who are interested, it is gluten free.
  • NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly Amy's soups...lentil, split pea, and chili. The Thai coconut is the best. I like to add wild rice or potatoes.

https://youtu.be/TiM2Ie7FHys
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Did someone say they stock up on Progresso Soup when it is on sale?

Its regular price here is $1.68 for a 19 oz can. I can't imagine how much cheaper it would need to be.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

:smiley: I'm not a fan of Progresso but am not one of your disagreers.

I'm interested to see all the fans of Pacific, because where I am (South of Boston) it is only available at Whole Foods. Maybe it is more available other parts of the country, or y'all are WF shoppers. (Or I'm wrong; see below.)

I love their cream of chicken soup for chicken casseroles, and cream of mushroom soup for green bean casserole and pot roast. Have not yet tried their other soups. I have the mushroom soup on my shopping list. WF is now charging $10 for delivery in my area and it is not convenient to go there in person. But thanks to this thread, I've looked it up and learned I can also get it at Shaw's:

https://www.pacificfoods.com/our-products/condensed-soups/organic-cream-of-mushroom-condensed-soup/

For those of you who are interested, it is gluten free.

They sell Pacific brand at Costco here in NM. I'm not sure about other grocery stores as we do the bulk of our grocery shopping at Costco and only run to the regular grocery store for some odds and ends and some produce. I love broccoli, but I cannot eat a 25 Lb bag of broccoli from Costco before it goes bad.
  • MsCzar
    Options
    Will have to check for Pacific brand next time I'm in a Costco. I have liked the Marie Callender soups they sell there. Usually the only store-bought soups I buy are ones I can't or won't cook from scratch: lobster bisque, New England clam chowder, cream of mushroom, etc.

• cwolfman13
    Options
    Will have to check for Pacific brand next time I'm in a Costco. I have liked the Marie Callender soups they sell there. Usually the only store-bought soups I buy are ones I can't or won't cook from scratch: lobster bisque, New England clam chowder, cream of mushroom, etc.

At my Costco, it's limited to a couple of options only for the Pacific brand. Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato and Creamy Tomato I think.

I'm now also recalling they sell Pacific brand at Sprouts as well which is only a few miles from my house so I might go get some different one's to try

I make most of my stews and soups from scratch, but it's nice having something handy when the need arises. I think we might be having some Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato tonight with grilled cheese at it is the first real fall feeling day here and it's chilly, overcast, and off and on rain. Good night for soup and a fire. If my kids soccer practice gets cancelled I might make something from scratch, but my guess is that it will go on and we won't get home until around 7 or so.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Did someone say they stock up on Progresso Soup when it is on sale?

Its regular price here is $1.68 for a 19 oz can. I can't imagine how much cheaper it would need to be.

Regular price at my grocery store is $2.69 per can.
    They just had a sale if you bought 8 cans, they were .99 each. So, yeah, I stocked up and bought 8.

You outta move to the rust belt. Everything is cheaper here.
  • MsCzar
    Options
    At my Costco, it's limited to a couple of options only for the Pacific brand. Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato and Creamy Tomato I think.

Well darn! With an annual glut of tomatoes and peppers from my garden, those are all soups I regularly make and freeze.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    It’s so easy to make homemade in an instant pot type cooler:

Pound or two of raw chicken breast
    Water
    Kitchen accomplice low sodium broth concentrate
    As much carrots and celery as you want
    Handful of Italian or herbes de Provence
    Generous shake of cayenne pepper

Cook for 45-60 minutes on high pressure. Shred the chicken with a fork. Continue simmering and add 10 minute barley OR remove a little broth and whip with flour, add back and throw some easy bisquick dumplings on top, cover for 8-12 minutes and voila, chicken and dumplings.

Don’t be me and forget to allow for preheat and cool down time. 🤦🏻‍♀️