A loaded question that I answer with "need for what?"

Anyway, I found this page and podcast very interesting on the topic:

http://blogs.wgbh.org/innovation-hub/2021/9/17/whats-point-exercise/

Comments welcome!

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I didn't find the article especially informative. It asked more questions than it answered. I did like the GOT Mountain reference :smiley:

I'll listen to the podcast, perhaps while exercising today, and comment further afterwards.

But since I just posted this on another thread, I'll drop it here too. It answers the question "how much" and there are many pages that answer the question "for what"

https://health.gov/sites/default/files/2019-09/Physical_Activity_Guidelines_2nd_edition.pdf

Key Guidelines for Adults
    • Adults should move more and sit less throughout the day. Some physical activity is better than none. Adults who sit less and do any amount of moderate-to-vigorous physical activity gain some health benefits.
    • For substantial health benefits, adults should do at least 150 minutes (2 hours and 30 minutes) to 300 minutes (5 hours) a week of moderate-intensity, or 75 minutes (1 hour and 15 minutes) to 150 minutes (2 hours and 30 minutes) a week of vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity, or an
      equivalent combination of moderate- and vigorous-intensity aerobic activity. Preferably, aerobic
      activity should be spread throughout the week.
    • Additional health benefits are gained by engaging in physical activity beyond the equivalent of
      300 minutes (5 hours) of moderate-intensity physical activity a week.
    • Adults should also do muscle-strengthening activities of moderate or greater intensity and that
      involve all major muscle groups on 2 or more days a week, as these activities provide additional
      health benefits.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    The 2018 Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans recommend the following targets:

150 to 300 minutes per week of moderate-intensity aerobic physical activity*⤈, OR;
    75 to 150 minutes per week of vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity*⤈, AND;
    Resistance training of moderate or greater intensity involving all major muscle groups on 2 or more days per week.
    *Aerobic physical activities of different intensities can be combined in order to meet activity targets.

Those these are the guidelines, I do tend to dose these as the bare minimum for my clients as I do lean toward at least three days of resistance training as progress is much easier to be had without recovery issues in almost all people I deal with.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    A loaded question that I answer with "need for what?"

Anyway, I found this page and podcast very interesting on the topic:

http://blogs.wgbh.org/innovation-hub/2021/9/17/whats-point-exercise/

Comments welcome!

"Need for what?" can be boiled down to "good health." Specifics start around 30 minutes in to the podcast.

I enjoyed listening to it while I was cleaning my gardening sheds and working on and around my compost bin :lol:
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I always put the "need for what" qualifier because some people are shooting for different things. For example, if you are training for some race, event, or activity, your needs will be different from those aiming for basic good health. With regard to basic good health, the requirements are hotly debated in the research community. I think it's great that DHHS has published guidelines. Too bad that such a minority of people achieve them!