Calories

Hi my name is yvonne and I so want to lose weight by calorie counting but I really don't understand it can anyone help me through this fitness pal app

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Hi Yvonne, what specifically are you having trouble with?

Have you gone through the guided setup? Do that first, it's under Goals from the hamburger menu in the Android app (or My Home > Goals on the desktop site; I assume the iOS app also has a hamburger menu).

You'll put in your sex, age, height, current weight, and goal weight, then tell MFP how quickly you want to lose and how active you are on a daily basis. It will give you a daily calorie goal; aim to eat that many calories each day, no more and no less (although it's OK if you're over/under by, say, 100 or so, but try to get as close as you can).

Use the food diary in the app to keep track of what you eat each day - check the label on the package in your hand against the database entry to make sure at least the calories match, and measure your servings to be sure you're eating the amount you think you are. I strongly recommend a food scale, but if you don't have one of those, at least use measuring cups and spoons, and be sure to level them off.

If you're honest and accurate with your logging, and you stick to your budget, you will see a lower number on the scale eventually, though it will take time. Slow and steady is the name of the game! You didn't gain it all in a week or a month, you won't lose it all in that timeframe, either. Have patience and trust the process.
    • TIP: Tell MFP you want to lose 1lb per week - that's sustainable for most people. If you don't have much to lose, like 20 lbs or less, you might have an easier time doing 0.5lb per week.
    • TIP: For activity level, that's without counting purposeful exercise. So, base your activity level more on what kind of job you have. If you spend most of the day sitting (desk job), pick Not Very Active; if you're standing but not walking around much (cashier, lecturer), choose Lightly Active; if you spend a lot of the day walking around (tour guide, dog walker, childminder), you should choose Active; and if you spend your entire day walking quickly and/or carrying heavy things around, pick Very Active (construction, landscaping, house cleaning).
    • TIP: MFP wants you to log your exercise separately and "earn" extra calories to eat on days when you work out, because you don't have to exercise to lose weight, but regular exercise is good for increasing and maintaining overall health. Resistance training is very important for women especially - it helps to keep our bones strong and protects against osteoporosis. You don't have to get into powerlifting (although it IS a lot of fun ;D), but you should incorporate some strength training into your exercise routine if you're able.