Need to increase my protein

Options
I have very little protein and when I try to increase it the carbs increase too and as I have PCOS I need a lower carb diet. I have been looking at protein powder but have no idea where to start. Can anyone recommend foods that are high in protein but low in carbs? I have eggs but there is only so much eggs I can eat!

Replies

• IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    CHIA SEEDS! For sure. I take them in my green tea. It's great. Check 'em out.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Anything that had a mother
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options

By your standards, oatmeal is high protein.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Anything that had a mother

QFT.

Eggs
    Egg whites
    Tuna and other fish
    Chicken
    Beef
    Cottage cheese
    Greek yogurt
    Cheese strings

^ Those are my go-to sources for protein, but I also supplement. I like:

Quest Bars (low carb) - I think these are net 5g or under with 20g protein
    Pure Protein (higher carb)
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey protein powder (I make protein pancakes with them!)
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    lean meats like chicken breast and fish
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    Options

It works for me...
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3061/2
    One ounce of chia seeds contains 4.4 grams of vegetarian protein — this is almost as high as meat, and higher than eggs.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options

It works for me...
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3061/2

Oats, like I said: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/breakfast-cereals/1597/2

Also, given the fact that just about every MFP user is practicing calorie restriction, protein per calorie would be a far more useful measure than protein per gram.
  • Morn66
    Morn66 Posts: 96
    Options
    Good non-meat protein sources are beans, lentils, and quinoa. For those, the carbs in them tend to be greatly offset by the amount of fiber per serving. Eons ago, I did the low-carb thing, eating lots of chicken, eggs, cheese, etc., and wasn't eating much, if any, fiber. It messed me up pretty badly because I guess I did it wrong, so do make sure you get your fiber.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    Options
    I haven't got a problem with oatmeal...
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    Options
    Good non-meat protein sources are beans, lentils, and quinoa. For those, the carbs in them tend to be greatly offset by the amount of fiber per serving. Eons ago, I did the low-carb thing, eating lots of chicken, eggs, cheese, etc., and wasn't eating much, if any, fiber. It messed me up pretty badly because I guess I did it wrong, so do make sure you get your fiber.

Those are great too, I agree!
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    From my experience foods with the best ratio of protein per calorie are as follows:

Egg whites
    Shrimp
    Tilapia Filet
    Chicken Breast

I find that many people need to repartition their meal structures. In general, the traditional Western diet contains some meat and a lot of starchy carbs. Ie, Steak and mashed potatoes, burger and fries etc.

Try subbing in those carbs (rice/potatoes/fries etc) for carbs that actually have a good amount of protein in them. Steak chilli perhaps?
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options

My point was not to inform you that oatmeal was comparable with chia seeds, it was to point out that chia seeds are a piss poor protein source.
  • starkarlis
    Options
    Smoothie King Gladiator is a great protein powder to make shakes with. Here is the nutritional info:
    Calories 180
    Carbs 1 g
    Protein 45grams
  • dlibonati
    dlibonati Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Here's a list of foods by protein to calorie ratio > http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-highest-in-protein.php
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Anything that use to have a face or was about to have a face (eggs), beans of any kind, chia seeds (apparently, I haven't tried it yet), nuts of any kind. They're high in calories too, so bust your *kitten*.
  • ktluex
    ktluex Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My yoga friend recommends hemp protein powder. You can mix it into a lot of things (smoothies, oatmeal, almond milk, yogurt and even baked goods!). The one I use is 50% protein, so usually gives you 15g per serving (30g).
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    Just remember that adequate protein isn't just a matter of ingesting it. It's about what your body can absorb in order to meet it's requirements.
    From Mosby's Medical Dictionary, 8th Edition:

protein
    [prō′tē·in, prō′tēn]
    Etymology: Gk, proteios, first rank

any of a large group of naturally occurring complex organic nitrogenous compounds. Each is composed of large combinations of amino acids (usually 50 or more) containing the elements carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, and occasionally sulfur, phosphorus, iron, iodine, or other essential constituents of living cells. Twenty-two amino acids have been identified as vital for proper growth, development, and maintenance of health. The body can synthesize 13 of these, the nonessential amino acids, whereas the remaining 9 must be obtained from dietary sources and are termed essential. Protein is the major source of building material for muscles, blood, skin, hair, nails, and the internal organs. It is necessary for the formation of many hormones, enzymes, and antibodies and may act as a source of energy. Rich dietary sources are meat, poultry, fish, eggs, milk, and cheese, which are classified as complete proteins because they contain the nine essential amino acids. Nuts and legumes, including navy beans, chickpeas, soybeans, and split peas, are also good sources but are incomplete proteins because they do not contain all the essential amino acids in adequate amounts. Protein deficiency causes abnormal growth and tissue development in children, leading to kwashiorkor, whereas in adults it results in lack of vigor and stamina, weakness, mental depression, poor resistance to infection, impaired healing of wounds, and slow recovery from disease. Excessive intake of protein may in some conditions result in fluid imbalance.

There are certain combos of vegetarian items that can provide a more complete protein than any single vegetarian source. If you're looking for a pure vegetarian source of protein with its attendant amino acids and vitamins in a readily available/absorbable form, it can be a bit more tricky than just a straight protein count and you need to do some reading/research to make sure that you're adequately covering your bases.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    Options

My point was not to inform you that oatmeal was comparable with chia seeds, it was to point out that chia seeds are a piss poor protein source.

I don't agree.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    Options
    Just remember that adequate protein isn't just a matter of ingesting it. It's about what your body can absorb in order to meet it's requirements.
    From Mosby's Medical Dictionary, 8th Edition:

protein
    [prō′tē·in, prō′tēn]
    Etymology: Gk, proteios, first rank

any of a large group of naturally occurring complex organic nitrogenous compounds. Each is composed of large combinations of amino acids (usually 50 or more) containing the elements carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, and occasionally sulfur, phosphorus, iron, iodine, or other essential constituents of living cells. Twenty-two amino acids have been identified as vital for proper growth, development, and maintenance of health. The body can synthesize 13 of these, the nonessential amino acids, whereas the remaining 9 must be obtained from dietary sources and are termed essential. Protein is the major source of building material for muscles, blood, skin, hair, nails, and the internal organs. It is necessary for the formation of many hormones, enzymes, and antibodies and may act as a source of energy. Rich dietary sources are meat, poultry, fish, eggs, milk, and cheese, which are classified as complete proteins because they contain the nine essential amino acids. Nuts and legumes, including navy beans, chickpeas, soybeans, and split peas, are also good sources but are incomplete proteins because they do not contain all the essential amino acids in adequate amounts. Protein deficiency causes abnormal growth and tissue development in children, leading to kwashiorkor, whereas in adults it results in lack of vigor and stamina, weakness, mental depression, poor resistance to infection, impaired healing of wounds, and slow recovery from disease. Excessive intake of protein may in some conditions result in fluid imbalance.

There are certain combos of vegetarian items that can provide a more complete protein than any single vegetarian source. If you're looking for a pure vegetarian source of protein with its attendant amino acids and vitamins in a readily available/absorbable form, it can be a bit more tricky than just a straight protein count and you need to do some reading/research to make sure that you're adequately covering your bases.

Great points. This is very helpful information. Thank you. :)
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    Options
    I use this and am pretty happy with it. The flavors are ok. If you are looking for a powder though, I feel this is the healthiest. (no hidden msg, it's organic, etc.)

http://www.gardenoflife.com/Products-for-Life/Foundational-Nutrition/RAW-Protein.aspx

"Offering high quality, plant-based protein plus live probiotics and enzymes, fat-soluble vitamins and nutrient Code Factors™ such as Beta-glucans, SOD, glutathione and CoQ10 for overall health and vitality,† RAW Protein provides the following benefits:

Provides RAW organic sprouted protein and live probiotics and enzymes
    Excellent source of protein – 17 grams and 33% Daily Value
    Contains Vitamin Code RAW Food-Created Nutrients™ with their unique Code
    Factors™ intact, enabling natural recognition by your body
    Increases the protein content of meals – just add to food or beverages
    Suitable for vegetarian and vegan diets
    Good for those on low carbohydrate diets
    Alternative to soy and animal protein powders
    Good for those with gastrointestinal sensitivities to milk, whey and other protein sources
    Easily digested – supports digestive health and function with live probiotics and protein-digesting enzymes†
    Mixes well – great in shakes, smoothies and other beverages "