MCT oil

Options
MCT oil? Anyone have experience with it? I am following a low carb lifestyle and I get 7+ 50 minute workouts in a week. I am hoping for weight loss assistance along with joint relief from all those semi-heavy lift sessions.

Replies

• Christy1759
    Christy1759 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure out what's in it!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Like most supplements to the diet, it's impact is minimal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I've never used it. I supposed you have nothing to lose but your money.

Here's what webmd says about it in case that helps you make a decision:

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-915-MEDIUM CHAIN TRIGLYCERIDES (MCTs).aspx?activeIngredientId=915&activeIngredientName=MEDIUM CHAIN TRIGLYCERIDES (MCTs)

says insufficient evidence for athletic use or decreasing body fat.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I have used it in the past with success. And I'm just re-introducing it into my diet now that I'm heading back up into maintenance and then bulking because I need to add calories and I'm low on fats. In the past, I normally just found things I could add it to directly (like my oatmeal in the morning). Just 1-3 Tablespoons a day. My local store was out and had just ordered it and it should be in the day or two. I have ordered NOW MCT Oil which seems to have good reviews. It isn't a panacea, and you would want to introduce it slowly because it does cause gastric issues in people (quite a few people actually). But it does have some serious positives, which is why I am re-introducing it.
  • leebesstoad
    Options
    But as far as joint relief, I wouldn't expect it from MCT oil. But if you aren't taking already, you really should be taking glucosamine/condroitin. Every doctor (both family and orthopedic) I've talked to, as well as every personal trainer recommends it. But don't look to MCT for that.

And I really wouldn't expect MCT much for weight loss. The only advantage in that area would be that it is more readily available for energy and less likely to be converted to body fat. But use it sparingly.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    MCT = Medium Chain Triglycerides. The Wikipedia article has good links to research on its efficacy in weight loss. It seems like it's early days in the research. Some of the research seems to have found that it may work better in preventing non-obese patients from becoming obese but only at the beginning of the test period. It's effect decreased during the 28 day test. The test was in men. Another study on men and women seemed to show that MCT consumption resulted in less fat deposit but they also found that amount of calories consumed influenced the results.

Generally, it seems it MAY work a LITTLE for SOME people to reduce a FEW pounds. There's nothing to indicate that it does anything for joint pain and one study showed that although it might enhance weight loss it does not enhance athletic performance.

I wouldn't rush right out and buy it or start taking it until there were more long term studies and more clarity about who it works for and how much.
  • leebesstoad
    Options
    But I would also add, that I would make sure about your cholesterol levels before starting MCTs. If you know your cholesterol and trigylcerides are fine, ok. But if they aren't, I would advise against it. And if you don't know, get them tested first. And MCT isn't a long-term solution, at least from the reports I've seen.