Have times where I can't stop thinking about food...

This doesn't happen often, and I think it's just boredom, but when it does, I usually have fruit or drink some water but this doesn't always make the thoughts go away. Reason why I'm posting this is because it happens as soon as I stop. If I don't work, practice my music, work out or something else, I start planning my next meal and the thought of food just starts gnawing at my brain. I have to cook everything from scratch, due to allergies, and I used to use cupcakes as my coping food (125g of butter, self raising flour, caster sugar, + a dash of soya milk and vanilla extract.) But my guilt would set in about half way through the making process. Idk if the compultion is to MAKE food or to EAT food but the problem is that I can't rest without thinking about food and it drives me insane. I want to fix this. Any ideas?

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    It sounds like you might benefit from talking to a mental-health professional. No one can diagnose you on this forum, but what you describe sounds like it might rise to the level of "intrusive thoughts," which is a thing that can be managed with the right tools.

Do you have a job? If your employer has an EAP (Employee Assistance Program), you can still use that benefit even if you're part-time and don't get other benefits like health insurance. The EAP is free to you, usually you get a certain number of free sessions with a MH pro and they can also help you find additional MH resources that work with your budget. You may also have a community mental health/counseling center in your area, and many of those places have a sliding-scale billing setup, which is good if you don't have health insurance, or if you do but it doesn't cover much if any MH services. You could also look into an app like Betterhelp or Calm - I haven't used any telehealth counseling apps personally, I just know that they exist and the above are two of them I've heard of. Your favorite podcast is probably shilling for at least one of them and can get you a discount.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,989 Member
    I think this is really a common problem. It happens to me all the time. If you don't have room in your calorie goal to have a small snack, or if you think it is just boredom and not real hunger, then distraction is the best tactic.

I'll do something enjoyable, whatever you like...reading, playing a game, etc. Just to distract my brain a bit.

I really don't think you need any mental health counseling, especially since you said this doesn't happen often. That's a bit overkill for a normal problem.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,321 Member
    Yeah, I agree with Suzy, it happens to me too but I don't think it is a mental health emergency.

Distraction, eating something like celery and carrots with hummus, taking a walk, some herbal tea, doing a chore all break the thought habit.

When I was obese and trying to eat 1200 calories to lose weight fast ALL I COULD THINK ABOUT was food.

So make sure you have a reasonable calorie goal and that you're eating more on days that you get some extra exercise.

Here's how that works on this site: https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625391-How-does-MyFitnessPal-calculate-my-initial-goals-

Here's a good start for calorie goal setting:

cfpqwo9vvrsi.png

• RedRobed
    RedRobed Posts: 7 Member
    I think the mental health aspect mentioned above really depends on a lot of other things that only you’re going to know about. I’d never had a problem with overeating in 30 years but was recently diagnosed with severe depression one of the symptoms of which was definitely overeating.

If you’re confident that’s not the issue though (and actually, even if it is) the volume eating thread could be of help? These days I eat salad pretty much to my heart’s content and still manage to lose (while tracking)
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Thinking about food is not eating food. Dangerous obsessions are ones that result in uncontrolled acts. Not thoughts.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,945 Member
    I will eat from boredom or fidgetiness.
    Sugar free gum helps me get through that.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    My first question is whether or not you're actually eating enough. When I was borderline anorexic, I thought about food all.the.time., and often made indulgent food that I then wouldn't eat. Not that anyone has to be that extreme, but I think it's relatively common for people to think about food when they know they can't just eat anything and everything in whatever amount they want anymore without thinking about the consequences. I think it's even more true in the beginning of weight loss attempts.

This is one reason why I set my deficit to only 250 calories when I was losing weight, because the closer I saw that total intake get closer to my "goal," the more anxious I'd get, and the more I'd think about food. Now, I find that if I'm thinking about food and it hasn't been that long that I've eaten, I get a flavored sparkling water and that usually does the trick.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    janayatoye wrote: »
    This doesn't happen often, and I think it's just boredom, but when it does, I usually have fruit or drink some water but this doesn't always make the thoughts go away. Reason why I'm posting this is because it happens as soon as I stop. If I don't work, practice my music, work out or something else, I start planning my next meal and the thought of food just starts gnawing at my brain. I have to cook everything from scratch, due to allergies, and I used to use cupcakes as my coping food (125g of butter, self raising flour, caster sugar, + a dash of soya milk and vanilla extract.) But my guilt would set in about half way through the making process. Idk if the compultion is to MAKE food or to EAT food but the problem is that I can't rest without thinking about food and it drives me insane. I want to fix this. Any ideas?

I used to think about food all the time until I realized I wasn't eating enough protein. I could eat and eat and eat carbs and fats and never feel satisfied. I needed protein but my wires were crossed and I thought I wanted snack type foods. This went away after I upped protein (and exercise.)

What are your total calorie, protein and fiber goals, and do you hit them?

What is your exercise routine?
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 2,048 Member
    edited September 2021
    Even when I'm full and reasonably busy, I am always planning my next meal before I have hardly finished the last one. I've always joked that I'm owned by my stomach.

While I sometimes can nibble away a day, if I'm full, I am lucky in that I really won't want food of any substance (but can still enjoy some kind of hard candy or fizzy water or whatever). Just one of the ways I think my ADHD manifests itself.

I have weight to lose, but by a BMI am still in the "normal" range so while I am NOT okay with where I'm at for my frame, not at a weight or size a doctor has ever commented on. Fizzy water was a huge help though and seems to satisfy a lot of my quest for something to chew/swallow/whatever.
  • Kgerber777
    Kgerber777 Posts: 105 Member
    I understand your struggle. I think about food more often than I like as well.

Since I have restarted my weight loss journey 20 days ago, I have found guided meditations (YouTube) to be very helpful in get my mind off of food. Brushing your teeth can help too (the flavor of the toothpaste plus the idea of, "I can't eat now, I just brushed my teeth"). If it is sweets your body is craving and you want to redirect, try eating bitter food. One of my older go-to's for this purpose is brown rice topped with kimchi, an over easy egg, and siracha sauce.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,069 Member
    edited October 2021
    I think about food any time I am unoccupied with another task. If I wake in the middle of the night, I'll probably be thinking about breakfast. I believe it's a fairly common thing in those of us who are more that a wee bit food centered and no reason to race to the psychiatrist's office.

Perhaps you can learn to divert your food obsessions into creating healthier choices. I try to use my food fixation in ways that will serve my calorie and healthy lifestyle goals. I love whole ritual of meal prep, so much so that I feel somewhat cheated if I simply reheat something from the fridge. So I channel that obsessive energy into creating huge low calorie salads, creative soups and elaborate meals. Dinner is never simply green beans and broiled fish, it's green beans almondine aside sauteed baby bella mushrooms, caramelized onions and pan-fried marinaded salmon seared with fresh herbs.

Some other things I've found helpful:

Having a 'go-to' list of small simple tasks you can do as soon as you start thinking about eating out of boredom. I usually have a small sewing repair, ironing, or organizing task that can be done in 20 or so minute - long enough for a craving to pass. That list can include a few minutes of exercise... or simply dancing to one or two pop songs. You should see my five minute YouTube Bollywood moves! :D

Basil water! I love basil and boiling up a handful of the fresh herb and then drinking the chilled water seems to magically quell my fiercest sugar cravings.

An oldie but a goodie: Give yourself an at-home facial, mani or pedi.

Meticulously planning and creating low calorie meals. After you put in the effort to make a masterpiece, you mightn't be as likely to ruin you calorie budget for the day. Plus, you can start thinking about tomorrow! ❤️
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    edited October 2021
    Oh, man. You describe me to a T. Always planning a meal, tinkering with a meal, looking forward (occasionally counting the minutes) to the next snack or meal.

I think it’s pretty normal, especially after spending several years so invested in it.

When I feel that coming on, I distract myself.

I surf all the lovely home decor magazines on my Apple News subscription, pick up my needlework, make a chai latte, ride the recumbent bike, take my cruiser bike out for a run to the grocery store, or throw on my shoes and do a circle around town and back (which I know is 1.5 miles. I know distances for all my routes. That’s familiarity. I guess the same with the food thoughts. It all just becomes an integral part of your thought processes.)

I might even just make a glass of ice water or water with a Nuun tablet and drink it slowly.

Or I might update my meal plan/grocery list, and then pre-log meals out for the next five days. That way I’m giving myself permission to think about food, but constructively.

You’re in the process of a major mental and behavioral shift.

Think that thinking about food is bad, kind of continues the vilification

Imho, if you’re not thinking about it - a lot- you won’t be successful.
  • foreverhealthy3
    foreverhealthy3 Posts: 111 Member
    I think it's great planning the next meal rather then just grabbing whatever is convenient. I'm always hungry after eating, so wait 20 minutes, maybe, do some housework to distract mind and find that can be a reward too. I usually don't get enough protein too.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    Laundry. There’s always laundry to do, even with just two of us. Lots of workout gear.

With a podcast it can even be fun. And distracting. And get that “move” wheel turning, too!

And somehow, fishing sweaty clothes out can be very appetite dulling.
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 456 Member
    I'm obsessed with food too - like others have said keeping busy is key!
    I really enjoy planning my meals, researching recipes etc ..
    Shopping for food too - but never when hungry 😁
    Staying mostly away from refined carbs helps me a lot and keeps me satiated.