Swimming

Options
2»

Replies

• littlegreenparrot1
    Options
    Ditto to adult lessons or coaching- even if it's just a few sessions. Some years ago I wanted some technique adjustments, so I just asked one of the lifeguards for suggestions. Got put in touch with the local high school coach who was happy to meet me at the pool a couple of times for a few $$.

Then recently I was dealing with a chronic shoulder impingement and couldn't tolerate NSIAD antiinflammatories any longer, so I searched for a PT who did aquatic therapy to help me adjust my stroke to alleviate shoulder stress. He also coached me with some water dumbbell exercises. I freestyle now like a flying gecko, but much less shoulder pain!

Thank you :) glad your shoulder pain has improved!

I am curious what "freestyle" means to you, I've seen in mentioned a few times as though it's its own stroke, but when I was at school it just meant "however you want to swim" :lol:

I understand 'freestyle' to mean what I would call front crawl here in the uk.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Ditto to adult lessons or coaching- even if it's just a few sessions. Some years ago I wanted some technique adjustments, so I just asked one of the lifeguards for suggestions. Got put in touch with the local high school coach who was happy to meet me at the pool a couple of times for a few $$.

Then recently I was dealing with a chronic shoulder impingement and couldn't tolerate NSIAD antiinflammatories any longer, so I searched for a PT who did aquatic therapy to help me adjust my stroke to alleviate shoulder stress. He also coached me with some water dumbbell exercises. I freestyle now like a flying gecko, but much less shoulder pain!

I am curious what "freestyle" means to you, I've seen in mentioned a few times as though it's its own stroke, but when I was at school it just meant "however you want to swim" :lol:

I understand 'freestyle' to mean what I would call front crawl here in the uk.

Yes, I've seen 'freestyle' used when I would say 'crawl.' (Boston, MA.)
  • kshama2001
    Options
    You aren't giving a lot of information. Are you a beginner? Do you know how to swim? Suggesting how to exercise with swimming depends on the person and their goals. For example there are obese or elderly posters that will do just fine walking in the pool. Then there are people that don't know how to swim, but want to learn.

I welcome you to swimming (I've been swimming for 25 yrs) or returning, as the case may be.

You're absolutely right, how unhelpful of me!

Yes, I know how to swim (good start). I am reasonably proficient, but I don't get chance to do it as often as I would like, which is what I would like to change. I used to swim a lot when I was at uni, but now it's just as and when I can. My front crawl and breast stroke are good, back stroke is ok but I can't butterfly to save my life ;)

I'm overweight, but able to do a good cardio workout. My podiatrist has just suggested that I go for something lower impact as I have hypermobile ankles.

Hopefully that is better info! :)

I alternate front crawl, breast stroke, and back stroke, and if it's a really long swim I might toss in some side stroke.

No need to learn butterfly unless you want to :smiley:
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Pools around me (North East US) opened up long before a number of other things (with restrictions). There haven't been any specific reports of COVID outbreaks originating in pool facilities, so that is comforting. Maybe chlorine really is the magic bullet! (Please don't drink it.) I've been going since around February. I also jog, cycle/spin, hike, SUP, and sometimes rollerblade, so I only swim twice a week at most. Still, it's one of my favorite things to do!

Ignore all the BS about swimming making you gain weight. (_Eating too much_ is the only thing that makes you gain weight!) This myth comes from the fact that swimming is a great sport if you are a bit on the heavier side. I've known some amazing swimmers who were a bit heavier, in fact.

I had good results tracking my swims just by entering the time in the MFP web site (use "Swimming laps, freestyle, light/moderate effort," best to include moving time only). More recently, I track my pool workouts using a Garmin watch.

My big "a-hah!" moment for swimming was getting some coaching on my stroke. A few private stroke lessons can really pay off. Even better would be to take an adult class, meeting a few people who are interested in swimming with you.

Best of luck!

I had read that Coronavirus can't survive in chlorine, so that's reassuring. I'd not heard about Swimming making you gain weight, but if I'm honest I'm trying not to focus on the number on the scale. I want to focus on my measurements and how my clothes fit.

I believe the gym I am joining offers adult swimming lessons, it's something I may look at once I get back into the swing of it :)

Swimming does not make you gain weight, however, it can make you hungry. Because it's dehydrating, you need to drink after, and be careful of your calorie intake. People that are not prepared can wind up eating way more than they burn.

However, it's fantastic exercise.

Yes, I make sure I have water available for immediately after a swim.

Possibly people are dehydrated and their thirst cue got crossed with their hunger cue.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    If you start to get bored, consider a waterproof MP3 player. I have an earlier version of this:

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Walkman-NWZW273S-Waterproof-Swimming/dp/B00I05EFO4/ref=sr_1_4?

6xdt6968gaso.png
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Front crawl.
    In swimming competition, technically, it *does* mean "however you want to swim", but since the vast majority of swimmers choose front crawl, that stroke came to be called "freestyle." 🙂

• nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Anyone recommend a waterproof HR monitor? I have a Polar H7 chest strap that claims its waterproof but requires a compatiable ANT+ reciever which i do not have, just my phone with the polar beats app via bluetooth.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/01/polars-new-h9-heart-rate-strap-everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know.html

If this is for swimming though as this topic is - you'll want the H10 to save the data since ANT and BT won't make it underwater, and I'm guessing neither is your phone going to make it underwater.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/01/polars-new-h9-heart-rate-strap-everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know.html

If this is for swimming though as this topic is - you'll want the H10 to save the data since ANT and BT won't make it underwater, and I'm guessing neither is your phone going to make it underwater.

Yes, obviously underwater since this is a swimming topic. That said, will the H10 work solo? Meaning can i somehow use my phone to monitor Calorie burn during a session if i place the phone somewhere visually safe from getting wet?

Side note, i have a small above ground resistance pool 14x8 in my indoor heated sun room for doing reps. I just need a way to monitor my sessions, perferably somewhat realtime. It would be nice to have realtime, but if i have to log every 30 minutes, its no big deal, as i tend to do 60+ minutes, or until my skin starts to wrinkle. lol Also, this is strickly for low impact high endurance cardio, im too old to be the next michael phelps. lol
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Transmission can't happen through water, and BT and ANT are short range anyway.
    No - you need a device like the H10 that saves that HR data until you get out and it syncs it to whatever device is listening to receive it.

If willing to pause on the wall after so many laps - you could view your HR live with phone sitting right there near edge - until you started again.
    That's what I'd do with my Garmin sometimes since I had no storage ability. Up out of the water enough for watch to see strap. I think sometimes I could hold it next to it and get a reading even in water, but iffy.
    My log afterwards would be interesting, every 5 min it appears I have a HR, then nothing.
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Check out U.S. Masters swimming for videos and workouts. And please shower BEFORE you get in the pool.
    BTW, butterfly is my favorite stroke.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options

Technically in competitions "Freestyle" means that the swimmer can use any stroke they want. The forward crawl is the fastest stroke so competitors always used that. Over time "freestyle" and "forward crawl" (or forward stroke) became synonymous. Yes, it has been something like 75-100 years since anyone used some other stroke in the Freestyle events.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Pools around me (North East US) opened up long before a number of other things (with restrictions). There haven't been any specific reports of COVID outbreaks originating in pool facilities, so that is comforting. Maybe chlorine really is the magic bullet! (Please don't drink it.) I've been going since around February. I also jog, cycle/spin, hike, SUP, and sometimes rollerblade, so I only swim twice a week at most. Still, it's one of my favorite things to do!

Ignore all the BS about swimming making you gain weight. (_Eating too much_ is the only thing that makes you gain weight!) This myth comes from the fact that swimming is a great sport if you are a bit on the heavier side. I've known some amazing swimmers who were a bit heavier, in fact.

I had good results tracking my swims just by entering the time in the MFP web site (use "Swimming laps, freestyle, light/moderate effort," best to include moving time only). More recently, I track my pool workouts using a Garmin watch.

My big "a-hah!" moment for swimming was getting some coaching on my stroke. A few private stroke lessons can really pay off. Even better would be to take an adult class, meeting a few people who are interested in swimming with you.

Best of luck!

I had read that Coronavirus can't survive in chlorine, so that's reassuring. I'd not heard about Swimming making you gain weight, but if I'm honest I'm trying not to focus on the number on the scale. I want to focus on my measurements and how my clothes fit.

I believe the gym I am joining offers adult swimming lessons, it's something I may look at once I get back into the swing of it :)

Swimming does not make you gain weight, however, it can make you hungry. Because it's dehydrating, you need to drink after, and be careful of your calorie intake. People that are not prepared can wind up eating way more than they burn.

SWIMGRY is a legit state of mind :)
  • albamarie61
    albamarie61 Posts: 40 Member
    Options

Best of luck!

I thought I was the only one who was ravenous after swimming. Good to know I am not alone and I will make sure to hydrate better now!
  • Squiktater
    Squiktater Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Swimmer hunger is legendary, especially among the age group kids. They can clean out an all you can eat buffet in ten minutes flat.