• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Prayers for you and your mom @AlphaHowls
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,907 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options

@AlphaHowls Sorry to hear about your mother. Wishing you and your family all the best in this difficult time.
    Thank you!

@Scott6255 wrote: »
    Huge hugs going out to you and your mom @AlphaHowls 💕
    Thank you!
    Prayers for you and your mom @AlphaHowls

Thank you!

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 Your HM and your post are all kinds of awesome!

@johnisrunning Congratulations on 4th place, and good luck getting that PB soon!

@julieannegannon Wishing you patience and persistence with your piriformis, and sorry for the alliteration.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    @julieannegannon Sometimes the hardest challenge is NOT to run when you wish you could! being a runner has all kinds of different challenges! Wishing you well with the piriformis.

Re: piriformis stretches - I’m still doing belly dance classes on my rest days, and having a great time, except for one thing - the lady who teaches beginner classes is also a Pilates and yoga instructor, and her idea of a warm up is a hardcore 15 minute Pilates session, complete with different varieties of planks, crunches, etc, and her cool down is complicated yoga. Last session she’s like, okay, stand on one foot, now cross your foot on top of your knee in a chair position (aka a piriformis stretch) - now reach down while doing that and put both palms on the ground. Try not to fall over! (She says, as three ladies in the background of the video fall over.) I’m like, this is your idea of a cool down move for baby beginners? Geez. This is my day off!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,972 Member
    Options
    @elanorhawkins Glad you are still able to get your runs in with life being so hectic. Seems that's the case for a lot of people here.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,972 Member
    Options
    @Scott6255 Nice run yesterday, even if it was slow. Hope today's feel better for you.

@CarsonSurfs Nice running over the weekend. I think it is awesome that your wife runs with you. I love hearing about all of the new places you are finding to run.

@johnisrunning Running is so personalized, and that is one thing I like about it. Setting reachable, but hard goals for each of us is what keeps us going and pushing harder. I have no doubt that you will reach that sub 20 min 5K before spring.

Nice run @Teresa502 . It is hard to know what to wear these days. Cooler weather is nice though.

• martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    @AlphaHowls I am so sorry to hear about your mom. Having the ability to keep her at home and for the 2 of you to be able to have that time is certainly a blessing. Hugs from afar (if you’re into that sort of stuff).

@johnisrunning Your summary of goals feels very spot on for me. And that race photo caught your emotion about it perfectly!

@julieannegannon Piriformis muscle issues suck! Early on in my c25k journey, I strained my piriformis muscle and it was so painful! It sounds like you have a treatment plan in place but the thing that worked well for me was a combo of stretching, rolling with a lacrosse ball to really get in there, and a running break. Unfortunately it seems like it just takes a little time.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @julieannegannon - Of course you can still be a part of this group. All runners go through some period of not running at times.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @Scott6255 Congrats on your race and AG!
    @polskagirl01 Congrats on your HM and great pics!
    @johnisrunning Fantastic race result, despite the heat. I'm also a huge fan of HR-based training.
  • AlphaHowls
    Options
    @martaindale

@shanaber
    Thank you so much!

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    10/1 – 3.01
    10/2 – 5.05
    10/3 – 7.02
    10/4 – 4.01
    10/6 – 6.06
    10/7 – 4.02
    10/8 – 5.02
    10/9 –4.32
    10/10 – 5.02
    10/12 – 7.02
    10/13 – 5.02
    10/14 – 3.18
    10/16 – 13.16 (plus 2.54 walking with friend not counting)
    10/17 – 2.02 recovery
    10/19 – 6.22

80.11 of 90 miles

@quilteryoyo thank you, I guess it’s the nature of the beast in this job.

@Tramboman golf is nice. You sound like my golf friends.

@Scott6255 everyone needs some slow runs. Perfect weather for it.

@CarsonSurfs the trails sound great and the long run was awesome.

@johnisrunning super 5K, nice picture. You are right on the edge of that sub 20, you’ll get it.

Thank you @Teresa502. My plan was to double up the last months that I missed in Jan – April, but I was chatting with the race director and she said a year is a year, just keep going into 2022 and that way you are sure you won’t get hurt and you’ll be ready for Oak Barrel HM in April, Duh great idea so that is what I’m doing. Honestly if you told me in January I would have gotten 6 HM in this year I would have told you you were nuts.

@AlphaHowls I’m so sorry about your mom. When my grandmother needed care I became her caregiver, a decision I never regretted for one minute no matter how hard it was. The time with her was so precious, we talked for hours and hours. I’m praying for your mom.

@julieannegannon worry about the piriformis, it’s a bear when it hurts. Take your time and heal.

@rheddmobile I would die laughing at that video. I do that stretch but I can’t imagine putting my hands on the ground.
  • AlphaHowls
    Options