Old Fashioned

Options
1235»

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    MsCzar wrote: »
    My parents were children of the Great Depression and were young folk during the second World War. Self-sufficiency and frugality were the order of the day. So I still:

Dry clothes outdoors, boiler room drying in the winter.
    Home can my own garden which I grow from seeds
    Make my own pectin
    Bake my own bread
    Use an old fashioned gas cooker
    Hand grind bread crumbs
    Make my own yogurt
    Drink stove-top percolated coffee
    Dry herbs from my garden
    Don't have a smart phone!
    Newest vehicle is 10+ year old
    Use paper maps
    Pick wild berries, forage greens & mushrooms
    Make my own laundry detergent
    I can (but don't) sew my own clothes

My parents were depression kids. Appreciate how hard that was, but I don't do any of the above.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Hmm, on these, I am decidedly not old-fashioned (which I already knew):
    MsCzar wrote: »
    My parents were children of the Great Depression and were young folk during the second World War. Self-sufficiency and frugality were the order of the day. So I still:

Dry clothes outdoors, boiler room drying in the winter.
    Home can my own garden which I grow from seeds
    Make my own pectin
    Bake my own bread

I like my dryer (my favorite thing about getting my first condo years ago was having in-unit washer/dryer and I've never seen anywhere here that has a washer and not a dryer), and have never had any desire to use a clothesline. I don't eat jam or jellies, so have never thought about making pectin, but I do have a garden (size and success varies, I have very small yard compared to many), and I have considered learning to can things. I have baked bread in the past, but I don't eat that much bread otherwise, so basically stopped when I started losing weight. (I also spent years perfecting my pie crust and now have probably lost the skill since I rarely make pie anymore.)
    Use an old fashioned gas cooker
    Hand grind bread crumbs
    Make my own yogurt
    Drink stove-top percolated coffee
    Dry herbs from my garden

Gas cooker instead of an oven? I have a gas range, but it's basically just the standard kind of oven most people around here have.

Re breadcrumbs, I never have bread on hand, but I've made my own bread crumbs (it's just not something that comes up that often). I do make my own yogurt, although I also buy it, and like Ann I grind coffee beans and do the pour over thing and use the herbs from my garden fresh. (I bought a book about drying stuff and was planning to dry fruit and some herbs to make herbal teas, but that was a covid project I never got to.)
    Don't have a smart phone!
    Newest vehicle is 10+ year old
    Use paper maps
    Pick wild berries, forage greens & mushrooms
    Make my own laundry detergent
    I can (but don't) sew my own clothes

I love my smartphone, but my only car is 2008 and I lived for years without one before getting that one. I love paper maps, but also love GPS/computer maps (like google maps). The latter can be great for mapping stuff all over the world easily without having to go out and buy lots of expensive maps that take up room.

We picked wild berries when I was a kid and my dad does that and his wife forages mushrooms, but all that is just not something I'm into. Do not make my own detergent (and can't see myself doing that). I learned to sew to some degree as a kid and did various repairs, but no interest at present. (When I took dance as a kid the mothers all were expected to sew the costumes for recitals and my poor mom did it, but I knew she hated it so.)
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    Options
    I'm not that old fashioned. Thank God for modern appliances, I work hard enough running a homestead. This week it's Chestnuts. Chestnut soup, chestnut croquettes, marinated chestnuts, roasted by the fire chestnuts, gluten free chestnut flour ... and the squirrels and deer won the harvest this morning.

We had our first chestnuts at a German Christmas market a couple years ago. We were sitting on a bench eating them and saying to one another,Well, these just aren’t all they’re cracked up to be”, when we noticed parents urging a child not to stare.

That’s when we realized, after looking around (and at the shell littered ground at our feet), you’re supposed to peel them before you eat them.

Coming from peanut country, you’d guess we’d have thought of that right away. But no. 🤦🏻‍♀️