'diet' drink without chemicals

Options

Replies

• ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I find that I have an easier time drinking fluids if they are flavored. I know there are many 'diet' products like crystal light but lately I've been hearing so much about the negative effects of artificial sweeteners and chemicals in general that are put into food products. I'm wondering if there are any 'whole food' type low/no cal drinks out there besides lemon water.

Thanks!

Well lemon water is chock full of chemicals, so if you're ok with lemon water, Mio etc should be just fine

no, fresh lemons don't have artificial sweeteners in them.

Right because the only chemicals are artificial sweeteners

just curious, what exactly DO you drink?? no water, no fruit juice...that just about takes care of every liquid on EARTH!!
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    "[...] the National Cancer Institute and other health agencies, there's no sound scientific evidence that any of the artificial sweeteners approved for use in the U.S. cause cancer or other serious health problems. And numerous research studies confirm that artificial sweeteners are generally safe in limited quantities [...]"

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/artificial-sweeteners/MY00073
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I find that I have an easier time drinking fluids if they are flavored. I know there are many 'diet' products like crystal light but lately I've been hearing so much about the negative effects of artificial sweeteners and chemicals in general that are put into food products. I'm wondering if there are any 'whole food' type low/no cal drinks out there besides lemon water.

Thanks!

Well lemon water is chock full of chemicals, so if you're ok with lemon water, Mio etc should be just fine

no, fresh lemons don't have artificial sweeteners in them.

Has never taken chemistry ^
  • rachelstaton
    Options
    Technically water is a chemical (H2O), I am assuming you mean something available in nature? If so, I would vote for orange slices or tea.
  • kwilson18
    kwilson18 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I just tried peach ginger iced tea over about a half ounce of tart cherry concentrate- not calorie free but really tasty!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    so... I've never made iced tea before. Do you mean when you put a bunch of tea bags in a container of water and leave it out in the sun?

I make hot tea all the time and it seems like you need the boiling water to release the tea from the bags...

I boil my iced tea. Just make as you would hot tea, then drink it after it's cooled. Make it strong enough so that the ice doesn't water it down too much.
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options

** ignore those that pretend they don't know you mean man-made chemical additives. They have nothing better to do, apparently.

^QFT. And apparently OP is good at it anyways :smile:

There is really no need to be arrogant because someone didn't specify "man-made/artificial". It doesn't make you look smart, just makes you look like an *kitten*.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    "[...] the National Cancer Institute and other health agencies, there's no sound scientific evidence that any of the artificial sweeteners approved for use in the U.S. cause cancer or other serious health problems. And numerous research studies confirm that artificial sweeteners are generally safe in limited quantities [...]"

Yeah, well, some crazy lady on the Internet tortured rats by force feeding them industrial quantities of aspartame and they got tumors.

This totally trumps your "science".
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    so... I've never made iced tea before. Do you mean when you put a bunch of tea bags in a container of water and leave it out in the sun?

I make hot tea all the time and it seems like you need the boiling water to release the tea from the bags...

I just stick some tea bags (enough for a gallon of iced tea) in the coffee pot basket (where you would put the grinds) and then make it like I would coffee... poor over a gallon pitcher full of ice, fill the rest up with water and bam! It's done. Iced Tea.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Some grocery stores carry flavored seltzers with just natural flavoring (no sweeteners) in them. Trader Joe's has a good one in 4 flavors and Aldi's has lemon. Sometimes they are hard to find and most of the flavored waters have sweeteners like Aspartame so you have to spend some time looking for them. Some stores hide them by the distilled water or over near the mixers like quinine water.

You don't need heat to make tea. All you need is water and time. I use four "family-sized" Lusianne tea bags in a gallon container with filtered tap water and put it directly in the fridge. A few hours later, it's iced tea. A case with a total of 288 large tea bags in it costs all of $20.88 on Amazon or $0.29 for a gallon of iced tea.
  • bi0nicw0man
    bi0nicw0man Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    wow, people sure like to be pains in the *kitten* about these things don't they?! Obviously it's difficult to avoid the chemicals and whatnot in tap water, but avoiding fake sugars and such is easy! Splenda is entirely chemical, so try something like stevia or honey if your really want a sweetener.

Try Perrier...I love the grapefruit flavour. Or iced mint tea with a lemon in it. If you are really wanting a pop there are a few brands made with stevia now.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options

Yeah, well, some crazy lady on the Internet tortured rats by force feeding them industrial quantities of aspartame and they got tumors.

This totally trumps your "science".

Well obviously. Obviously, all the doctors and scientists out there are out to get us because reasons!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

** ignore those that pretend they don't know you mean man-made chemical additives. They have nothing better to do, apparently.

There is really no need to be arrogant because someone didn't specify "man-made/artificial". It doesn't make you look smart, just makes you look like an *kitten*.

Right because man made/artificial must mean they're bad. Also apparently you haven't read many posts here and seem to think people have average intelligence when it comes to nutrition, that would be a mistake
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Right because man made/artificial must mean they're bad. Also apparently you haven't read many posts here and seem to think people have average intelligence when it comes to nutrition, that would be a mistake

But you know that you really never thought she was asking for some drink without chemicals. You knew what she meant. If you wanted to say that natural chemicals aren't necessarily healthier than man-made, then why not just say that?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

But you know that you really never thought she was asking for some drink without chemicals. You knew what she meant. If you wanted to say that natural chemicals aren't necessarily healthier than man-made, then why not just say that?

"I find that I have an easier time drinking fluids if they are flavored. I know there are many 'diet' products like crystal light but lately I've been hearing so much about the negative effects of artificial sweeteners and chemicals in general that are put into food products. I'm wondering if there are any 'whole food' type low/no cal drinks out there besides lemon water."

Asked for something to add to water or a low/no cal drink that had no added chemicals. Lemon water = water with chemicals added to it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,620 Member
    Options
    OP, artificial sweeteners are nothing to be worried about as long as you're not drinking a case of the stuff a day. The issue with most is the dogma that anything we consume that isn't "natural" is harmful to the body. The scientific evidence just doesn't support it.
    If you're choosing to do it because you want to be a more "natural" consumer, then don't add anything.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sarahslayer
    sarahslayer Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the great ideas! re:

-ways to make cold iced tea - I might try putting a tea bag in a glass of water over night and then see what it's like the next day when I want a cool drink.
    -adding a bit of juice concentrate to sweeten - creative!
    -limes... (why have I only thought of lemons? I love limes!) and other add in ideas
    and Stevia

I try to not have too many carbonated drinks as I had VSG surgery 3 yrs ago so the carbonation slows down how much fluid I can drink, when I'm going for increased hydration. However, for something to sip on, I'll try some of the carbonated suggestions.

will got back through thread for other helpful ideas too.

I think I'll also make switch away from Splenda to Stevia. I'm already trying to go to 'black' coffee vs. coffee w/splenda and milk, in an effort to 'save' calories for other meals and again... avoid the artificial sweeteners.
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    tea, coffee
  • matabill
    matabill Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I put 8 Lipton tea bags with the paper tags removed into a large pot of filtered water that has been boiled.
    Let the tea bags brew for a few hours or until your tea has cooled. Once cooled I put it in a pitcher and cover with ice until your pitcher is full to the top. This last me several days. I add fresh lemon to my glass as needed.

If you like it sweetened you could add Crystal Light Lemonade or Splenda.

I like mine unsweetened.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners are chemicals
    Lemons have chemicals
    Ergo lemons are artificial sweeteners.

Q.E.D.