Maintenance eating recommendations

Options
Hi,
I am just starting losing weight with MFP for the fourth time. Previously I have been very committed to losing weight for approx 3-4 months, have stuck to my MFP allowance and dropped 40-50 pounds. I then drop off the wagon, all my bad habits return and the weight piles back on. During these previous attempts I never got to my final goal weight which would have been approx 75 pounds lost.

This time I think that I need to try to train myself to eat at maintenance calories during the losing period so that I am more prepared to adopt sensible eating post loss and avoid another repeat of the cycle.

I would like some ideas about how to do this as there are many possible options.

These could be:
  • Have two days a week eating at maintenance level
  • Have one week a month eating at maintenance
  • Eat at maintenance for a period after losing ten pounds

I want to lose the weight for good this time so, if it takes longer than before due to some time training myself in how to maintain I am cool with that.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,956 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Well, depending on your current amount of weight to lose if you set your goals reasonably you'll ease in to Maintenance and you could use any of the above plans, but none of them are necessary. They are all good tools. I think the biggest thing is some kind of accountability for that first year post weight-loss. Like keep logging food. That first year post weight-loss can be a bumpy ride until hormones, habits, and self-image catch up.

Read the "Most Helpful Threads" in this forum:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300324/most-helpful-posts-goal-maintaining-weight-must-reads#latest

I don't think there is any one "set" way to do it but Maintenance breaks when eating at a deficit are a good idea.
    Here's the great discussion. Page one will give you all you need to know :
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

I just followed this general guideline in the image below and when I got within 15 pounds I had a 200 calorie per day deficit. So "maintenance" wasn't much different.

cfpqwo9vvrsi.png

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Or another option is to eat at your estimated goal weight maintenance calories.
    Which in theory gives you a bigger deficit / faster rate of loss at the start which tapers off as you close on goal weight. And if your estimate is reasonable there's very little adjustment to be made when you get to goal.

Do think the major thing above the various techniques is to get away from the on the wagon / off the wagon thinking. Be careful of over-restricting or eating in some special (but unsustainable) way to lose weight.
    Not so much diet as a verb for the short term but more diet the noun meaning what you eat long term to achieve your nutritional needs.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Oh, the thing I did I forgot to mention as an option (sijomial reminded me) was to set my cals to current maintenance (and adjust that goal with the tab every 3-4 lbs or so) and just eat 'less than that'. Kept it easy, gave me flexibility and helped me get used to keeping a long view on calories while following my hungry/not days and rhythms.
  • booboo1000
    booboo1000 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Best wishes to you.

I've lost half my heaviest-ever weight (I'm more than 100 pounds lighter than my heaviest) and am now ten pounds above the lowest limit for being in the "healthy weight" range. I'm learning to maintain, never having managed it before. My heaviest was 20 or so years ago, and two years ago I started my current efforts after regaining much of the 60 pounds I'd lost a few years before.

My weight loss strategy was different from what yu are describing as my initial goal was to stop gaining. Then, after about five months, I had lost enough to notice and feel better and set weight loss as my goal. About four months later I became very disciplined for a year, restarted MFP logging, and stayed at 1200 calories (I'm only 5'2" -- 158.75 cm) until I was well into the healthy weight range. (I would do it differently now, only because my motivation changed as time went on. COVID wasn't known two years ago when I started. As I learned about it and my vulnerability to a bad COVID outcome, I stepped up my efforts.)

When I was about ten pounds above my absolute lowest goal I added 50 calories each day and slowly lost down to where I am right now. That was about 10 days ago, and I have added an additional 50 calories each day and am hovering around my low goal, likely slowly losing. In a week or so I'll reassess and add calories as needed. Blood work tomorrow and a doctor visit in a week will also help determine if I'm on the right track. Once the snow starts falling and I'm shoveling the winter gifts of living in the Central New York region, I'll see if I need to add more calories for the seasonal activity.
  • mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I think a few things helped me that might help you. One was to realize that this was for life so nothing was really off limits (except a few for animal rights issues and health) although my focus was on choosing to eat healthy foods most of the time. As I hit plateaus which I did, I considered those practice for maintenance and didn't do much different. Made sure I was tracking my food and keeping up with my exercise. Maybe dropped the calories a bit and eventually the plateau broke. As I lost weight I did gradually reduce the daily calorie goal. After about 1 1/2 years I hit a weight that just stuck and I was happy with that. By that time I was pretty used to eating the way I was eating so transition to maintenance wasn't that difficult.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I did an online calculator to figure out what my goal weight maintenance calories were. For me they were about 2400. I had about a 100 pounds to lose, so I set my calories to 2400. So basically eating at a deficit to lose weight set me up for maintenance. Training myself how to eat my maintenance calories and not feel deprived. Im pretty much at my goal weight!

Losing weight is exciting, but it gets boring once you hit your goal. So keep your mind engaged. Im starting to run, its really helped to have a health and fitness thing to focus on.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    While losing 60 lbs, I took several "maintenance breaks" when I increased my calorie goal to maintenance for anywhere from 3 days to a couple of weeks.
  • jamesha100
    jamesha100 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses. Lots of good, thought provoking stuff.