Pre-diabetic

Options
Hi there. I am prediabetic...my doc told me yesterday. My A1C is 6.1 and my blood sugar average is 128 (over a three month period). Is anyone on a pre-diabetic diet? I have read I should only have 30 grams of carbs daily and 20 grams of sugar daily. Not much but I do need to lose 40 pounds in the next three months.

Replies

• booboo1000
    booboo1000 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi, I responded earlier to a different question you posted as well.

30 grams of carb can be risky and seems way too restrictive for a regimen you can enjoy and maintain. Sugar should never be 2/3 of your carbs.

If you are in the US, the most helpful dietary advise might be to go the the American Diabetes Association pages and learn about the recommendations for T2. They will recommend that your carb choices be nutritionally dense and high in fiber. Open-face single slice of whole grain bread with chickpea spread, lettuce, tomatoes, and onions can be just as filling as a hunk of beef on white bread with mayo and cheese.

Pre-diabetes returns if old eating habits return. I believe the recommendations for most T2 diabetics are 45 grams of carbs per meal and 15 per snacks. I am only 5'2" so I aim lower as my caloric needs tend to be lower than most diabetics.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    sandit60 wrote: »
    Hi there. I am prediabetic...my doc told me yesterday. My A1C is 6.1 and my blood sugar average is 128 (over a three month period). Is anyone on a pre-diabetic diet? I have read I should only have 30 grams of carbs daily and 20 grams of sugar daily. Not much but I do need to lose 40 pounds in the next three months.

Pre-diabetic and even diabetic doesn't mean you have to do Keto. Pre-diabetic is basically a warning shot. Losing weight itself will be of the most benefit, as well as regular exercise. Focus on more whole foods and limit things like cookies, cakes, etc and things with a lot of added sugar.

You might want to go to the American Diabetes Association as they have good information to at least give you a good starting point diet wise.

Lose weight and get active...those two things will be huge.