1,000 then junk October

Options
My goal for October is to start limiting the amount of junk food I eat. I’m not doing a all or nothing approach but instead will allow myself a treat on days my watch says I have burned 1,000 calories. Since that isn’t every day it will help me focus on consuming more real foods. I will take a photo at the beginning and end of the month to see if there is any difference. Would anyone like to join and work towards a healthier October?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Is your watch *just* giving you exercise calories? If so, 1,000 calorie burn from exercise seems awfully high unless you are extremely active and/or overweight.

More likely your watch is giving you exercise calories plus "being alive calories," in which case you'd want the burn to be higher than 1,000 calories.
  • Sunshinfit
    Sunshinfit Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    It is overall calories but it doesn’t seem that accurate. I’m at a healthy weight, I’m just trying to eat healthier and tone.
  • Sunshinfit
    Options
    I guess a example of why I don’t think my watch is accurate is because it says I burned 519 calories when I did 30 minutes of Zumba, a 45 minute walk and use a standing desk at work.
  • Sunshinfit
    Options
    Oct 1st: I made it! I burned 1021 calories today. I have to be honest though. I was doing fast feet in the kitchen to burn off the last few calories so I could have the chicken pot pie that was for dinner. I also had yogurt and a few yogurt covered pretzels, non of which I would get if under 1,000 burned. I did take a side photo this morning and will compare it to one at the end of the month. What I’m doing may seem silly to some but I like making little games for myself to keep things interesting.
  • Sunshinfit
    Options
    October 2nd.
    Today I burned 1.426 cals. This is a good thing because my sweetie made me some quiche and put aside a bratwurst for me☺️. I would not have eaten either today if I was under 1,000. I think this is motivating me to be more active. Tomorrow I want to do a date night with him so I need to do at least 1,000 calories again. I work overnight shifts on the weekends so I should be able to get a jump start on things. Something weird I noticed with MyFitnessPal is that it does not sync/ record any activity I do during normal sleeping hours. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,618 Member
    Options
    I'm really curious what brand and model number of watch you're using, when you have it on you, and if it's synced to mfp because, yeah, 1000 calories total definitely seems off. I'm old, short, and at a lower weight and my bmr alone is 1100ish.

Also a bit concerned on what you consider junk food but that's on you. 😀
  • Sunshinfit
    Options
    I’m considering processed food as junk food only because I’m trying to eat healthier. My watch is definitely not synced to MyFitnessPal correctly. It doesn’t reflect nearly the same calories burned on this app so I just go off what my watch says. It’s a old apple 3 but it keeps me motivated.
  • glassyo
    Options
    I only brought it up because you threw yogurt in there which most people would consider healthy.

I don't know if you're logging food but you might want to keep on eye on how many calories you're eating since you're going by a faulty watch and not what mfp recommends. Undereating can backfire too.

I get the motivation and games tho. I'm maintaing but log a deficit so I can cheat and not gain.
  • Sunshinfit
    Options
    Yes I keep a food log. I am eating more then I put on here but not adding in Whole Foods. Yogurt is pretty healthy but a lot of it has added sugars, and the one I had has a crumble topping ( guess I should have said that) Quiche also seems healthy but the purpose of this game the crust would make it where I can’t have it until I am over 1,000.
  • Sunshinfit
    Options
    😂 you still eat. Just not processed crap until after 1,000 calories burned. I eat fruits, veggies, eggs, cheese, non processed grains and things like that otherwise
  • glassyo
    Options
    Sunshinfit wrote: »
    Yes I keep a food log. I am eating more then I put on here but not adding in Whole Foods. Yogurt is pretty healthy but a lot of it has added sugars, and the one I had has a crumble topping ( guess I should have said that) Quiche also seems healthy but the purpose of this game the crust would make it where I can’t have it until I am over 1,000.

I've been known to buy a slice of apple pie and just eat the crust. 😀
  • Sunshinfit
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    Sunshinfit wrote: »

I've been known to buy a slice of apple pie and just eat the crust. 😀

Mmmmmmm yummy your my kind of person
  • Sunshinfit
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Is your watch *just* giving you exercise calories? If so, 1,000 calorie burn from exercise seems awfully high unless you are extremely active and/or overweight.

More likely your watch is giving you exercise calories plus "being alive calories," in which case you'd want the burn to be higher than 1,000 calories.[/quote

I’m sorry I don’t know what i was thinking when responding before, it’s activity only. I am pretty active. I still don’t think my watch doesn’t track correctly and it definitely doesn’t show on MFP accurately.
  • Sunshinfit
    Options
    Burned 1,400 yesterday and 1,030 today. This is really motivating me to be more active.