Overeating angst

Options
I don't even know how to ask this in a way it'll be clear for everyone.

So, I was told that you'd need to eat excess 3500 calories to gain a pound and I already ate extra 2800 calories this week. Does my calorie "reset" every week?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Your calories don't 'reset', your body keeps the balance by storing excess calories or losing fat when you burn more calories than you eat. It does so constantly, all day long, depending on what's happening at that moment (digesting food, sleeping,...).

When you say you ate 2800 extra calories this week, I presume you mean over your calorie goal. But it's not your calorie goal that is the relevant number here, since your calorie goal also reflects whether you want to lose, gain or maintain your weight. So what are your settings in MFP, did you chose weight loss, gain, or maintenance?

3500 calories above your maintenance calories equals around 1lb of fat.
    If you've chosen a weight loss rate of for example 1lb per week, your calorie goal includes a 3500kcal deficit. So if you eat 2800 calories above your calorie goal in total that week, you'll still lose weight, just less of it.

These are theoretical numbers, by the way, your actual results may vary depending on the accuracy of your logging and how average your metabolism is (we're all different, some people burn more calories than average, others less).