I’m new but doing okay

I’m 83 (Until November) and I’ve been on the program about one month. I’ve lost 4 lbs but it’s getting harder! I walk at least 1,000+ Steps a day and that is my only exercise. I’m looking for any kind of help to keep me motivated.

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    4 lbs in a month is excellent progress! That's about one pound per week, which is about the quickest pace most people should aim for to be sustainable.

Weight management comes down to just the relationship between calories in (your food and drink) and calories out (exercise as well as just generally being alive and going about your business). If calories in (CI) is less than calories out (CO), or CI < CO, you lose weight. If it's greater, or CI > CO, you gain; your body stores the extra energy it didn't need today for later, in the form of fat. If they're about the same (CI = CO), you maintain.

It is much easier IMO to focus on diet rather than exercise for weight loss - use the food diary, make sure you pick accurate entries that match the label in your hand, measure or weigh your portions and be mindful about snacking. Definitely keep getting your steps in, regular cardio is important for maintaining overall health. If you're able to do any kind of resistance training, that's also really important for keeping your bones strong, but for sure get some guidance/approval from your doctor, especially if osteoporosis is a concern for you.