Does nursing really effect how many calories I burn a day?

Options
2»

Replies

• sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    bump
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    The rule of thumb is 500 calories for exclusive breastfeeding. After that, play it by ear.
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    No. But I'm sure it affects it.
  • staplebug
    staplebug Posts: 189
    Options
    I always thought it was interesting that I am told to eat 300 extra calories while pregnant and actually growing my baby, but to eat 500 while breastfeeding! Crazy! Anyway, that's what I've heard the most, that you should eat 500 extra while exclusively breastfeeding.

I'm 23 weeks with my first child, so I haven't personally experienced this yet. Hope it works out for you.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    <----IBCLC here. You burn approx. 300-500 calories a day nursing. Concentrate more on your baby than anything else. Wet and dirty diapers as well as weight gain are going to be what you want to pay attention to. If your baby is older and receiving nutrition from other areas, like table food, I would just make sure your supply doesn't start to diminish. If it is getting lower and baby doesn't seem to be getting enough, add a few extra calories in for the day. Most people cut back so many calories that adding in 300-500 isn't going to make you gain, even if you aren't nursing.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    your body uses calories making the milk.... milk contains calories, so there's all those calories going out of your body, plus the calories your body uses to make the milk.

calories = energy. Your boobs work hard (i.e use energy) to make the milk, plus there's the calories that your body is putting in the milk (energy for the baby) rather than going to your cells to use as energy for you. So yes, you need to take in more calories (energy) than usual to ensure your body's got enough calories (energy) to fuel your body, and make milk for the baby.