Living in the 60’s

Options
Hi everyone! Recently celebrated my 60th birthday by reaching my top weight ever (ugh) and gunning for the 160’s, too much for my (used to be) petite frame. Also recently re-activated my Runner’s knee - I’m sitting out the fall running season. Help/suggestions welcome! Cheers!

Replies

• JeanineRevell
    JeanineRevell Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am 65 real soon and my goal before I retire is being back to my weight of 130-140. I have almost 2 years to accomplish this goal, but I hope to do it in one. I'm short too. Already lost 12 pds by just putting in what I eat on myfittness pal, increased my walking and kayaking. Kayaking helps the core area and is so much more fun than planks and sit-ups. I also have started listening to Weight Loss Meditation on You Tube at night. Seems to help me sleep and encourage me. Good Luck, don't wait like me till 65
  • booboo1000
    booboo1000 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi! 61 and short here and sort of at goal for several months. (Goal kept getting lower as I slowly reached interim goals within the healthy weight range for 5'2".) I have been at my absolute low goal for a couple of weeks now and intend to stay here until COVID is "over." My 3 month glucose indicators are within the non-diabetic range and other health problems I have that are red-flags for a bad COVID outcome are under better control at this weight.

Two years ago I was in the obese category after years of losses, gains, losses, gains.

So, what I saying is it can be done by short, post-menopausal women even if not able to be as active as other people due to health conditions. Being much smaller means I can be more active to a point, but still not like most other people--for example, I walked five miles a couple of days ago but paid for it by fatigue the next day. It would not help to walk 5 miles every day to build up, as there is only so much stress my body can take without letting me know to stop. Having multiple autoimmune diseases really sucks.

Yes, log it all. Plan meals in advance whenever you can. Find enjoyable foods that can take the place of foods you should eat very rarely. My favorite example is chocolate. LOVE IT. Slowly changed my intake: 1) cut way back on candy bars -- was very deliberate on limiting when and how much; 2) replaced my beloved milk chocolate with dark chocolate, slowly increasing the cocoa percent until I actually enjoyed 90% cocoa content and could even have 1 oz every evening; 3) cut back to .5 oz every evening -- still delicious but I was seeing results from changes like this; 4) replaced the chocolate bars with cocoa powder (not dutch process is my preference) by adding 2 Tablespoons to my morning old fashioned oatmeal with sweetener, cinnamon, turmeric, black pepper, red chili powder and also making chia pudding with 1 Tablespoon cocoa, 1 T chia seeds, sweetener, 1/4 cup water and other flavors as the mood strikes. (Every weekend I make a week's worth of spiced oatmeal packets so I can quickly cook it in the morning, and I make four days worth of pudding in advance and take one out of the fridge about 30 mins before dinner to take the chill off. Total calories from cocoa: 30ish and the chia seeds add good fats and fiber.

Best, Boo