Calorie shocker!

Options

Replies

• sandifield
    sandifield Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Orange juice is a shocker for sure, i cannot drink it.. It causes me too much discomfort from my acid reflux.. And coke I am so thankful i gave that up in Jan this year before i even considered, watching calories and such.. I use to drink 9-10 2 liter bottles a Coke a week.. the sugar i consumed was out real .. I drink water all day long and the odd coffee.. and well a wine or two at night
  • sandifield
    sandifield Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    We East Fish and Salmon at least 2 to 3 times a week.. Yes they are high calorie food but if you bake them with lemon juice and a lil olive oil in foil on the BBQ they are healthy and low in added calories.. Preparing them with topping and fatty breading add useless calories to a Great food
  • ilene_marlett
    Options
    An egg by itself is only 70 calories. It's what you cook it in and what you add to it that racks up the calories.
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Gatorade sports drinks. I never realized how they were ruining all my efforts.
  • chelle3014
    chelle3014 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Almost everything is a shocker! I've been on Weight Watchers for 2 years and got tired of paying for it because I wasn't tracking like I should. Then I decided I should do SOMETHING so I didn't gain it all back and here I am! Since WW doesn't look at calories - only fat, fiber. carbs and protein, everything has been a big shock! For example, a pack of apple slices is 90 calories whereas that was ZERO WW points. Needless to say, my snacking on fruits and veggies is not as beneficial as it was before. I think those have been the biggest shocks - just how much things that used to be zero points can add up when you're just looking at calories. On the flip side, exercise earns me far more calories than it did WW activity points. I do miss the "floating" points for the week, I wish we had "floating" calories.
  • nino07110922
    nino07110922 Posts: 2,149
    Options
    Almost everything is a shocker! I've been on Weight Watchers for 2 years and got tired of paying for it because I wasn't tracking like I should. Then I decided I should do SOMETHING so I didn't gain it all back and here I am! Since WW doesn't look at calories - only fat, fiber. carbs and protein, everything has been a big shock! For example, a pack of apple slices is 90 calories whereas that was ZERO WW points. Needless to say, my snacking on fruits and veggies is not as beneficial as it was before. I think those have been the biggest shocks - just how much things that used to be zero points can add up when you're just looking at calories. On the flip side, exercise earns me far more calories than it did WW activity points. I do miss the "floating" points for the week, I wish we had "floating" calories.

LOL - floating calories. THAT would be nice!
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    My biggest shocker was the creamer in my morning coffee...I just can't handle it black unless I am eating something like a cinnamon roll...so I now use the sugar free creamers but they are still alot.
    [/quote

agreed! have switched to sugar free as well!
  • anelsliger
    anelsliger Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    After my first day signing up, I'm embarrassed to say after I did a rally of what I ate in the day (-714 over), I still haven't added my dinner and snacks. This is a real eye opener. Tomorrow is a brand new day and I will have some motivation by meeting a friend at the gym. The last time I weighed this much, I had a baby inside me growing :( Got to be accountable for my actions.
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Oh, nuts! No, really - nuts! I knew they were high but geeze...I love just about every kind of nut out there but pouring them out on my scale the first time was a real shocker. :sad: Oh, nuts!
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    An egg by itself is only 70 calories. It's what you cook it in and what you add to it that racks up the calories.

Not so bad if you make a meal of it...2 eggs and two slices of thin bacon with a half slice of rye bread is 225 calories and it's quite filling. I heat the bacon in a skillet - the fat calories are already counted with my bacon so I don't have to add PAM or additional oil to fry my eggs. There's not a morsel that tastes like a diet meal!
  • lcransaw
    lcransaw Posts: 95
    Options
    Chick Fila meals (I thought it was better because it was chicken and not a burger, duh, it is still fried!)
    Blizzard ice cream dessert
    My favorite dish at the Italian restaurant I love. (try over 1,000) That was a very sad day when I learned that harsh truth!
  • Loasaur
    Loasaur Posts: 125
    Options
    Muffins. I love chocolate chip muffins...needless to say....I was not aware of the enormous amount of calories in ONE muffin (Dunkin Donuts, Tim Hortons, McDonalds)! I always thought, "Oh, I won't get this greasy breakfast sandwich, I'll be good a get a muffin!" How WRONG was I?!? Should of just gotten the sandwich...
  • rc2paris
    rc2paris Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My crunchwrap supreme! I love those things! I've been on mfp for over a month, but just logged one of those and about had a heart attack. I knew it was going to be bad, but not THAT bad!
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Muffins. I love chocolate chip muffins...needless to say....I was not aware of the enormous amount of calories in ONE muffin (Dunkin Donuts, Tim Hortons, McDonalds)! I always thought, "Oh, I won't get this greasy breakfast sandwich, I'll be good a get a muffin!" How WRONG was I?!? Should of just gotten the sandwich...

I feel like "muffin" is just the healthy term for what really is a cupcake.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the additional info with regards to not all high cal food being bad for you, it's quite reassuring, although I think I'm still going to have to cut out most of my favourite foods as I am a bit of a junk food addict. I'm not going to overly stress about it as I'm at a good steady weight right now so I can cut down on my intake and make changes quite gradually which will make it easier - plus I think I'll be more likely to stick with it rather than if I went on an all out major ban of all the foods I love in one go.

And that isn't likely to change in time. You will probably learn to love different foods and you can consciously determine to make a lot of healthier choices. Just as importantly, you can find a balance with it all and learn that you don't have to ban really ANY of the foods you love....but you also don't have to eat them all every day.

You can fit different things into your calorie budget and enjoy them - especially since you aren't trying to lose! Even better! Thinking with a long view and in terms of sustainability and satisfaction is a great way to be thinking - you're off to a good start. Getting a little more information about what you're taking in and tracking your food is a fantastic habit to be getting into right away. Good job!

To answer your question, I have to agree that nuts are a favorite of mine and they sure do add up fast. By extension, also nut butters.

Yesterday, I had already added 1/2 tablespoon of chopped walnuts to my oats and decided to try a suggestion for peanut butter banana instead, so I added 1 tablespoon of peanut butter. The two added 180 calories! Next time I will just do a 1/2 tablespoon of one of the other (either 80 or 50 calories), a big difference. I was still under goal, though, so whatever, and it was good!

On the other hand, I practically live on eggs and egg whites both. lol
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    After my first day signing up, I'm embarrassed to say after I did a rally of what I ate in the day (-714 over), I still haven't added my dinner and snacks. This is a real eye opener. Tomorrow is a brand new day and I will have some motivation by meeting a friend at the gym. The last time I weighed this much, I had a baby inside me growing :( Got to be accountable for my actions.

I actually think it's beneficial to just track a few days without trying to change your choices, just so you can get an idea of what you were eating. Also if you were maintaining your weight it should help you figure out your real TDEE.
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    There have been A LOT of calorie shockers!!!! But what I've been having a great time doing is finding sustitutes that are calorie shockers -- but in a good way.

My best find is PB2 and PB2 w/chocolate. 45 calories for 2 TBSPS!!!!... For those of you who do not know what PB2 is... it is powdered peanut butter. The fat has been removed processed in powder form... you add water to reconstitutue or do what I do and add to chocolate protein powder for an awesome smoothie that puts most milk shakes to shame. I LOVE my peanut butter and have been known to eat straight out of the jar-- on the spoon is the best... so finding PB2 has been a life saver!

Next in line is adding diet sierra mist to a 4 oz glass of orange juice... very refreshing and you can add as much (or as little) sierra mist as you want without adding any extra calories except for the orange juice.

I also like to add diet sierra mist to a serving of wine... I know some people cringe at that-- they say I am ruining a good glass of wine-- but seriously, I can sip on a 20 oz glass of wine/sierra mist and it will last me for a long time -- again without adding extra calories.

On the days I feel like I deserve a little "extra", I have a package of Weight Watchers Whitman's dark chocolate or chocolate caramels for 100-120cal per package. I cannot even begin to tell you all how good this chocolate is! And having it in single serving packages really is the best way for me to go...
  • saanaismom
    saanaismom Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Cinnabon - the one with pecans and carmel, I knew it was bad but I didn't imagine anything could be THAT bad.
    Peanuts or trail mix with nuts.
    Any sandwich from Subway - calories not a surprise but SODIUM - WOW :O
    Dairy Queen peanut buster parfait - this one hurt me deep, I love those things :( Now I save them for my long run days, but after doing a 2.5 plus hour run it's funny how you don't want junk in your body...
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options

LOL - floating calories. THAT would be nice!

Well, the good new is that we have exactly that. :flowerforyou:

To lose weight, we're eating at a deficit. All WW does is assign you points allowances that will keep members doing that. They factor the satiety quotient and the calories through the fat, protein, fiber, and carbs) and assign a point value. If you "eat your points," you are eating at your assigned deficit to meet your rate of loss goal. They didn't used to count the starchy veggies and fruits as zero points and there has been some controversy about doing it now. But they are "as beneficial" to you as before, just not on paper, if that makes sense. However, when I did WW once, my group leader (a really cute Southern lady) said, "Honey, we didn't all get here from eating apples. If you want a large one, well, you eat a large one."

If you want to eat a little of the cushion, those are your bonus points, and you can still lose weight as long as you don't eat more than you burn, but you will lose a little slower.

If you log exercise, those calories are also "floating" - you can choose for yourself whether to eat them or any part of them back.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Since the media have always drummed into us (I was born in the 80's, other age groups may vary) how many calories are in fast food, the only fast food calorie shock I have had have been how few calories are in a Sub compared to a pizza or McNuggets (i.e. I assumed a Sub would have had more calories than it does, ergo after tracking I switched from 6" to 12"). Also, I was comparing sweets the other day (I like a bit of sugar after weight training and Snickers weren't on offer) and found myself deciding on Cornish fudge instead of mint Aero because a Snickers worth of calories from fudge looked like the better option even if it is all sugar and fat (6 pieces of Tesco fudge ~= one regular mint Aero).

I think the only thing that I have been surprised of is how many calories are in steaks. The few times I have had it since November I have had to work out whether I should save some calories or do a bit more walking and then calculate if I have the calories available for one without the fat, one with the fat, two without the fat, or two with the fat.

Everything else has been more of a case of deciding what fits in better with my calories (e.g. sometimes 20 McNuggets is the right choice else I'd have too big a deficit, sometimes a McChicken Sandwich is instead).

Pizza and Chinese... while I assumed those foods had a lot of calories (and eating such foods is probably impossible without gaining weight, previous thinking) I think I was a bit surprised at how many calories my typical meal was previously until I realised I was only eating 1 meal every 36 hours and was comparing the calories to what I could eat on a 1,125 kcal/day deficit. After adjusting for a 24 hour day, that massive meal only took me into a 300 calorie surplus. So, not exactly surprised how many calories are in a pizza, but rather how many are in a 15" pizza, mozzarella sticks/chicken wings/potato wedges (can't remember the combination I used for the 300 kcal/day surplus), dips, a tub of ice cream, and 2 litres of Coca-Cola. Ugh, I'm hungry now.