Calorie shocker!

Options

Replies

• wrthy4hvn
    wrthy4hvn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The eggs were the most shocking to me too. I raise chickens and didnt think that eggs were so much. My main problem in the Calorie Shocker...is not finding out how many calories in each thing....its actually eating 1200 of them a day! I thought I was doing good, but NOOOOO. I never make it to my calorie goal. Well, sometimes I do (not very often) but if I add any of the exercise that I do, forget it. I NEVER make it.
    Anyone else have that problem?
  • Lilaca84
    Lilaca84 Posts: 17
    Options
    Agreed! I started making my son's milkshakes at home (ice cream still, but with skim milk) it at least cuts out some of the calories, and i make smaller amounts than he would want at sonic :/ I haven't verified this, but I like to think I'm probably saving him from some extra preservatives/chemicals too.

I would suggest that you simply go buy some oranges, and fresh squeeze your orange juice one or two nights a week. You might find you enjoy that glass a little more, and you can better control your sugar intake :) I realize this will take more time than just stopping at a store and grabbing a quick bottle in the morning, but perhaps you can find other areas to save time in your schedule to compensate.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Everything i ate when our at restaurants! Seems i always selected one of the worst options lol. I guess even tea and coffee, hot chocolates etc surprised me too.
  • Mantha18
    Mantha18 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Milk! I used to drink about 10 glasses of it a day (no exaggeration). Didn't realize that was over 1000 calories just in liquids! I've switched entirely to water. I think that was huge in cutting my calorie intake and while it was hard at first, after a week I really didn't miss it. I have it in cereal occasionally and sometimes I just crave it so I have one tall glass every so often, but I don't drink it like I used to. If for nothing else, that makes me eternally grateful for MFP and that I started counting calories or I probably would have kept going like that.

there is a benefit to drinking so much milk though - my OH grew up drinking milk and now gets through a 4 pint bottle in a day.....he's never broken a bone in his body, has longer finger nails than i do, and i'm sure it has somthing to do with his build - 6'4" and built like a rugby player lol
    he used to be adament that only semi-skimmed milk tasted right....then my mum started buying the new (well back then lol) 1% milk and he reluctantly agreed it was ok. i now mix his 1% half and half with my 0.1% skimmed milk and he hasn't noticed =p
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter. A serving is MUCH MUCH smaller than what I would have schmeared on prior to weighing/ measuring. I still have to measure it each time or I'm over.
  • Naaer
    Naaer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I was shocked to find out that a regular size Whataburger(NOT the large one) was 620 calories!!! I love Whataburger...This, almost, made me cry...Now I know that I'm going to have to eat the small or JUnior size burgers...It is a change, but workable...AND I totally stay away from fries...

Reaan:bigsmile:
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    For people missing sugary drinks/coffee/tea: If you can't drink it black try a spicy tea. I really like Bigelow Cinnamon Stick tea

For People missing sandwiches: try using Newman's Own bread. A lot of the varieties are 50 cal a slice.
  • Darrelkun
    Darrelkun Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My surprise food was popcorn. So many people at Weight Watchers were telling me how one bag was one point. But that's only for one CUP of the POPPED kind. About eight cups per bag and you're looking at a hefty stab into your allotted food.

Sodas were a big surprise too. I knew they had calories, but I didn't know THAT many.

And carrots. I love carrots... but I'm supposed to limit myself on them. ;A; And potatoes and corn. So sad! My favorite foods and I can't have them (not for now, anyway. Maybe when I get closer to goal :D).
  • GBPack93
    Options
    Bread and Bagels. I couldn't believe the bread I was eating has 120 calories per slice, it sure didn't taste like it. I switched up breads though to healthy life which is only 35 calories per slice, less than 1/3rd of the other kind.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    My surprise food was popcorn. So many people at Weight Watchers were telling me how one bag was one point. But that's only for one CUP of the POPPED kind. About eight cups per bag and you're looking at a hefty stab into your allotted food.

Yup popcorn.. I always would get a "small" kettlecorn at the cinema and I knew it was quite a lot of calories, but not THAT much. Now I see packaged kettlecorn in the supermarket and a small tub is almost 1000 calories!!
  • stickskin
    stickskin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    wow. omg.

I can't believe, when i was first 12 or 13, I didn't think cookies, pizza, and ice cream were harmful.
    I was so ignorant. I wasn't fat though-far from it. My dad always told me to eat healthy, drink lots of water, exercise, etc. :)
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I was surprised with how many calories in peanut butter.

Me too, and I just do not think peanut butter is worth 190 calories for 2 TBS. It is more of a special occasion treat for me now. I used to be able to put away a whole jar of peanut butter when I was really in the mood for it even in my thinner days.
  • JDBLY11
    Options

Yup popcorn.. I always would get a "small" kettlecorn at the cinema and I knew it was quite a lot of calories, but not THAT much. Now I see packaged kettlecorn in the supermarket and a small tub is almost 1000 calories!!

I am not sure where you are getting 1000 calories. I can have like a half cup of fresh unpopped popcorn and a yogurt based spread for around 270 calories. I think that is really good for quite a bit of food.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal. All good cals but 190 or so for only 45 grams / half cup?! It surprised me but didn't deter me from eating it.....just caused me to adjust my intake accordingly.
  • JDBLY11
    Options

Sodas were a big surprise too. I knew they had calories, but I didn't know THAT many.

And carrots. I love carrots... but I'm supposed to limit myself on them. ;A; And potatoes and corn. So sad! My favorite foods and I can't have them (not for now, anyway. Maybe when I get closer to goal :D).

I think potatoes have a really low calorie count. I can have homemade mashed potatoes or baked potatoes for not too many calories and it is so filling that you can have like a cup or two of each and you won't be hungry for a long time.

I agree about corn and coke.
  • JDBLY11
    Options
    The eggs were the most shocking to me too. I raise chickens and didnt think that eggs were so much. My main problem in the Calorie Shocker...is not finding out how many calories in each thing....its actually eating 1200 of them a day! I thought I was doing good, but NOOOOO. I never make it to my calorie goal. Well, sometimes I do (not very often) but if I add any of the exercise that I do, forget it. I NEVER make it.
    Anyone else have that problem?

If you just eat the egg whites, eggs are super low in calories at maybe 125 calories for a cup of raw egg whites.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    The calorie servings on about half of the things I buy are incredibly misleading and so small it's a joke.

Like a jar of nuts. Has anyone ever gotten a jar of nuts and counted out X amount of pieces? Peanut butter listing at 2 tablespoon and ridiculous calories.

The way ONE soda screws up your sugar intake for the day.

Oh and because I live in California I get to see the calories when I go out to eat on the menu. Chain restaurants will blow your mind on the calories of one meal.

Actually, yes, I do count out nuts and record them accurately. And I read te labels on everything. And eat out much less often.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    The calorie servings on about half of the things I buy are incredibly misleading and so small it's a joke.

Like a jar of nuts. Has anyone ever gotten a jar of nuts and counted out X amount of pieces? Peanut butter listing at 2 tablespoon and ridiculous calories.

The way ONE soda screws up your sugar intake for the day.

Oh and because I live in California I get to see the calories when I go out to eat on the menu. Chain restaurants will blow your mind on the calories of one meal.

Actually, yes, I do count out nuts and record them accurately. And I read te labels on everything. And eat out much less often.
  • kathyvstephan
    Options
    BUMP
  • Alicia_Monique
    Alicia_Monique Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I can't even read the first page of this thread seriously.

Honestly, who, even for a second, thought that a Coke didn't have an asinine amount of sugar? IT'S A COKE. TASTE ONE.

Like, obviously things with ice cream, peanut butter, whole fat milk, and fudge all mixed together is a sh- load of calories.

"Juice" that's highly concentrated. HELLO? IT SAYS IT ON THE LABEL.

YES I measure/weigh/count food THAT'S HOW YOU GET AN ACCURATE COUNT.

I guess I just assume everybody is an adult and reads the labels and isn't stupid.