Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    For me it was most starbucks drinks.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Re. Re Quinoa ...yes but it taste like cr*p! I have tried with it and never succeeded, even tho I am a good cook!
    I LOVE quinoa. I cook it in a little broth. I could eat it all day.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Yep, cook in a tasty broth. It's making my mouth water just thinking about it lol

I think my calorie shocker was salmon.
  • Leighjr
    Leighjr Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    For me it's Costa's .. So now I have my Tassimo and a load of pod's for that.

Oh and my Pepsi Max but I scanned that in MFP and it read ok :-) But I drink it slow anyway, a couple of bottles lasts me weeks.
  • Funmiloves
    Funmiloves Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Yup, my big 'shocker' was nuts! Almonds :-( I now count out almond pieces.
  • Zonny
    Zonny Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    That's what MFP does for me, makes me think before I eat it! Back when I used to do Weight Watchers, my shocker moment was when I calculated how many points was in a big Café Mocha from Starbucks. Used nearly half my daily points drinking that thing!
  • Irenaekl
    Irenaekl Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Yep, cook in a tasty broth. It's making my mouth water just thinking about it lol

I think my calorie shocker was salmon.

Salmon may have a high calorific value but the nutritional value is so immense it's worth it.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Had two 4 oz salmon filets last night for dinner.

It was awesome.

Gonna do some sushi/sashimi for lunch today....hoping it will be a lot of Tuna and Salmon.....

Double Awesome!!!
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Yup, my big 'shocker' was nuts! Almonds :-( I now count out almond pieces.

Then there's walnuts...oh my. I have certainly cut down on those caloric things!
  • fitmomhappymom
    fitmomhappymom Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I was shocked to find out how many calories were in a little bread roll. Ugh.
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    It's not the calories in eggs that kill me, it's the cholesterol. I've since switched to egg whites in a carton. All protein, no cholesterol and only 15 calories per serving. Good luck and welcome aboard.
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    hey orange juice was frightening for me too, and I've delegated it to the just once in a while with breakfast group

Same here. I also find that pouring 1/2 juice and 1/2 water satisfies my juice cravings.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    It's not the calories in eggs that kill me, it's the cholesterol. I've since switched to egg whites in a carton. All protein, no cholesterol and only 15 calories per serving. Good luck and welcome aboard.

That is all I do.
    Every once in a while, I will do a whole egg.....but not often
  • laursoar
    laursoar Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I was horrified about Starbucks nonfat pumpkin spiced lattes! Even nonfat and without whip, it's 260 calories for a grande and 48g of sugar. While I didn't think they'd be great for you, I underestimated how bad they were. I think I drank them like four or five times a week last fall without considering calories at all. Now, I allot calories to have one a week as a dessert treat, even though I think I may cut to biweekly over time due to the sugar overload.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I was horrified about Starbucks nonfat pumpkin spiced lattes! Even nonfat and without whip, it's 260 calories for a grande and 48g of sugar. While I didn't think they'd be great for you, I underestimated how bad they were. I think I drank them like four or five times a week last fall without considering calories at all. Now, I allot calories to have one a week as a dessert treat, even though I think I may cut to biweekly over time due to the sugar overload.

Yeah , I cut out my Starbucks trips....
    I even do non-fat, no whip, sugar free caramel, mocha, Grande....but even that is pretty steep.

So I just do my drip coffee mostly.
  • DebBee83
    Options
    400 calories in a small order of fries from Arby's! That's more than the calories in their classic roast beef sandwich.
  • tjl2329
    tjl2329 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Been on here almost a year. Other day qent to jack in the box. A small onion ring contains 7 onion rings. 450 calories. Really double checked and they do. Omg waste of calories. Candy bar less than 300.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I stopped worrying about calories when I realized it's really really hard to go over on days where you are walking for 5 or more hours a day. It's a big campus and when I am not in school I am walking to get to all the errands I need to do. So, I just worry about moving at least 3 hours a day and as many as 5. Also eating less calorie dense food and concentrate on getting enough protein. Still counting calories even though I don't log as faithfully as I once did but, actually I look at labels a lot more now, cuz I am not always near my computer anymore to check the calorie count so no more eat now and ask questions later.
  • mmckee10
    mmckee10 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    This is a good way to go about it. Just remember though...caloric density has nothing to do with nutrient density. Too many people on MFP and dieters in general cut out very nutritious and healthy foods because of calorie content...it's high calorie, so it must be "bad" mentality. Many foods that you most definitely should be eating because of their nutritional value are also very calorie dense. Conversely, many foods with very low calories have little to no nutritional value.

Also kepe in mind that you need fats...people get all freaked out when they see the fat number and go all low fat/no fat. Fat is an essential nutrient...you need it for heart health and overall organ function. Your brain is largely comprised of fat. Many nutrients are fat soluble, so you need to consume fats in order for your body to absorb these nutrients. Fat also regulates hormones and this is essential to being healthy and to weight loss.

Just seek balance in your diet (noun).

YES. Hi, My name is Megan, and I'm addicted to pistachios.. and cashews... and peanut butter! (not saying that these are the best foods.. but they are my little *omg.. that's ALL in a serving* foods)
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    A slice of banana bread at starbucks is 490 calories. That shocked me for sure. I knew it was not a great choice, but really not many good options for breakfast at starbucks. Worst part was it was my highest calorie breakfast of the entire week but was the very least satisfying.