i think i have diabetes and my doctor won’t listen

Options
13»

Replies

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    If they don’t give you a call back from the doctors office to schedule an appointment because of your concerns about having diabetes, find another doctor. This isn’t normal procedure for a clinic/dr office.

Um, I'm assuming op is in the UK. This is usual...

As discussed above, this is not a universal experience and probably depends on many factors, including where you live and the individual medical professionals you interact with. My experience in the UK is not this, and I have always been called back and listened to. I really think it's possible the individual person who took the call simply forgot to pass on the message or call back as a genuine error. Then the OP never followed up for 6 weeks.

I second this.
    There have been times when I have not been called back by my GP’s office when I have had a medical concern.
    This happened more frequently when I relied on a low income/free clinic. But it has happened a couple times with my current doctor.

I have always assumed my request just got lost in the shuffle. And, for what it’s worth, occasionally I have had this happened with my Husband’s VA doctor too.

In a well run office this should be a rare event. But it definitely happens. And I wouldn’t take it personally. Just keep calling until you get a response.
  • Kathy535
    Kathy535 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    When I’ve felt my GP might dismiss my hypochondriac fears or that they’ve been really busy I’ve used home testing kits. They are available in the UK - I’ve used Forth (for liver, kidney and hormones) and Let’s Get Checked (cholesterol and diabetes). Both were very easy, very quick and reasonably cheap (around £30-40 - worth it to me for the reassurance). If you have abnormal results a nurse calls you and talks you through what it means and next steps.

Some reassurance though - there are many things that can cause a numb foot or a darker patch on the skin and you’d probably have noticed other symptoms before these if you had diabetes. Try not to worry, call your GP back and look at the tests online.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    @trulyhealy, it's been 2 weeks now, how are you doing?