Breakfast & Lunch Advice for Office Worker / Non Cook!?

Hi all,

I've gotten back into dieting and wanted some quick and easy ideas to add some variety into my diet given my 9-5 office hours and my inability to cook (lol!)

I typically visit the office cafeteria and buy either
A. Special K Protein bar + Coffee
or
B. Two Boiled Eggs + Coffee

I usually bounce back and forth between these and that will always be my breakfast during workdays... Kinda getting boring wondering if there is anything else someone might suggest that I can buy from the store and eat in the morning or something like that!

As for lunch, I typically run to quick chek and grab the 6 inch whole wheat turkey sub and while that's good .. I feel so empty without a side. The unhealthy me would go for chips, but I know that's not the answer.
Any suggestions on what I should grab for a side from a place like quick chek?

Replies

• At walmart there is some "dippin' stix" that aren't terrible that come in flavors like, Apples/caramel. carrot/ranch (( ehhh.. ranch)) and Carrots and hummus etc, you could take with you as a Side/Snack? Also just paying some decent Pita chips, putting a portion in a zip-lock bag and taking it with you for a side for your lunch?

Also at home you could refrigerate Tortilla rollups, Which is just taking something like a whole wheat tortilla, your choice of meats/cheese/veggies, rolling it up and cutting it into portion sections.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    I too work in an office and here’s an example of what I bring to work. Only because it’s cheaper and requires little to no cooking.

Breakfast – 4 egg whites (only thing that needs cooked and I throw it on the stove top while I’m getting ready. They’re ready to flip after 5-10 mins, I cook on super low, and I eat a few minutes before running out the door) & a serving of protein powder that I drink throughout the morning.

Lunch – Hummus and veggies, and one, two, or all of the following depending on my exercise for the day: banana, apple and peanut butter, and a serving of almonds. Again. I’m a snacker so I eat them throughout the afternoon.

Hopefully you’ll get a enough recommendations to change it up regularly.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    I cook very little and pack my lunch everyday, you can boil some eggs at home for yourself, its really hard to mess up boiling eggs, or buy egg whites and pop them in the microwave. I generally eat a low carb tortilla (50 cals) with 9tlbs egg whites (75 cals) slice of cheese (60 cals) and turkey sausage (35-60 cals depending on the sausage and how much). Or oatmeal with protein powder in it.

For lunch: Tuna, buy and make turkey sandwiches yourself, chicken salad, pre-cooked chicken on a salad. There's a bunch of options, I believe my diary is public, you can look through it to see if you want more items and suggestions.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    You could pick up a rotisserie chicken or turkey breast and a loaf of good wholemeal bread make your own sandwiches for several days. High fiber wraps are a good idea for sandwiches too, because you can stuff a big handful of leafy greens in there with the other sandwich ingredients. Keep a variety of hot sauces, bbq sauce, mustards, etc. on hand to dress your sandwiches. Canned tuna also makes a high protein sandwich wrap.

I know you said you don’t cook, but I’d suggest getting a crockpot. Crockpot meals are a super easy to cook without cooking. Just throw meat, veggies, grains, beans, etc. in there with some spices and liquid. Turn it on and several hours later you have a home-cooked stew, soup, roast, or casserole to take for lunch that week. A quick internet search will get you plenty of recipe suggestions.
  • karona513
    karona513 Posts: 8 Member
    You said you don't cook, so surprise, I'm not going to tell you to cook! I hate to/can't cook either, so here's what I think you are really looking for. A list of easy to find store-bought snacks that are healthy sides:

- Part Skim Mozzarella String Cheese
    - 1% Lowfat Cottage Cheese
    - Fat-Free or low-fat Yogurt (go plain for more mileage if you can stand it)
    - Nonfat or low-fat Greek Yogurt (ditto)
    - Carrot Sticks (packaged with low-cal dip if you must)
    - Snap Peas (ditto)
    - Grape Tomatoes (ditto)
    - Blueberries
    - Plain Applesauce (all natural, nothing added)
    - Apples
    - Walnuts (no honey roast!)
    - Almonds (ditto)

Better than potato chips:
    - Plain Sun Chips
    - Multi Grain Pretzel Sticks
    - Plain Pita Chips