*Confession* I have come so far but I hold myself back with secret eating!

Options
pfn8mmhpm4lt.jpg

This is me. I am so proud. I have worked my a** off and most of the time, I feel incredible..but there is shame from the fact I eat in secret at times. I nail my macros and my lifting but I will find myself in the evening, as I prep my lunch for the next day and my boyfriend is showering, that I sneak food some times. Usually it is spoonfuls of peanut butter as I eat all natural and my boyfriend won't touch it so I know he won't know it is missing. This is impacting my ability to lose the fat I want to lose in my lower half AND it is impacting how I feel about myself. I know there is some psychological reason for me doing this and I am curious if anyone has insights or experience with similar behavior? My boyfriend is super fit and naturally lean so can eat whatever he wants and I have to really focus on my eating to stay fit and healthy. He has no body shame and prances around in his underwear and I feel self conscious at times and definitely have body shame.

Thoughts anyone? Anyone else feeling me?

Replies

• nay0m3
    nay0m3 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I totally know I am not going to balloon up, nor have I, but I do see that it is not allowing me to progress to the next level, not to mention, I feel ashamed of the fact I do this and would like to stop.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. :blush:

• al0481113
    al0481113 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    nay0meh wrote: »
    He did have this pinterest board before we met of super fit women who he admires and I think I still feel like that is his ideal and I will never measure up so maybe I am self sabotaging?

You don't need to measure up or compare yourself to anybody. You are precious. Your boyfriend is with you not with the pinterest pictures. Don't be afraid to eat in front of him. And don't be ashamed. When you do it openly then this little habit will go away. It's apsychological fear.
    I did it before. And also peanut butter 👊 But once when I stopped to hide it it went away.
  • nay0m3
    edited October 2021
    Options
    @coryhart4389 Thank you for your thoughts! I do enjoy peanut butter! It's delicious but I don't enjoy the feeling of hiding it. There is something more going on there for me to figure out!

@al0481113 Thank you for helping me to feel as though I am not alone in this behavior! We are all so precious! I need to remember this for myself <3

@rheddmobile Many thanks! I am really proud of how hard I work and how consistent I am and who I am. I love your question because I ask myself that and wonder what is it I am seeking? Similar to what @MikePfirrman said...am I moving the bar? Will I ever be happy with what I have achieved?

@MikePfirrman Gosh--how did you endure your wife saying that to you? How did you stay with her when she spoke to you that way? So interesting how you just listen to your body. Congrats on all your progress!

@spiriteagle99 His marriage ended for many reasons but the weight of his wife was more because they were not aligned in terms of their lives--he's very active and she wasn't and that created distance. That is not an issue with us. He never puts me down for eating something but he does body shame his mom to me and that is hard and I have talked about this with him. I don't like body shame of any kind! Everyone has their own path and I don't want to judge. Interestingly enough, I was 20 pounds heavier when we met and he loved me just the same. He is just so happy that I lift now and to have a partner to live life with common interests together enjoying the moments. It's not his fault I am doing this but there is definitely a fear for me that I need to talk with him more about. It's scary to be so vulnerable though!

@Speakeasy76 thank you <3 It feels great to be understood and know you have struggled as well at times! I do completely feel comfortable being my authentic self and we have been working on making our relationship better and having more open conversations so I think I may need to just share all this. Brene Brown says shining the light on our shame gremlins helps them go away. :)

@sheahughes NOPE work hard every day to keep the bingo wings at bay! *smile* Lifting weights has been such a journey not only of the physical transformation but for my mind to grow as well! What are your goals? Feel free to connect with me on here if you want to! Thank you for saying I am like a woman on your pinterest board!! My lower body is what needs the love. :) Getting there!

@cupcakesandproteinshakes I love your advice of just focusing on lifting and not worrying so much about my body and my idea of the flaws I have. I am so wanting to get my lower body to match my upper body and I am hard on myself. I have been lifting for 1 1/2 years. I did consider bulking but after 4 days or so, I knew I was not mentally in a place to do so. I also just like how I look for the most part but thought bulking and cutting would get me the look I want in my legs. Why ruin what I have worked so hard for? That is why I am sticking to just slowly recomping the best I can. Thank you <3

@robertw486 You got me laughing as I picture a peanut butter chow fest! I truly am doing this for myself. I was super fit before, gained about 35 pounds and then lost it through nutrition and cardio then found the joy of lifting! He is great to have as a partner to keep me motivated and to know I won't slip back into healthy behaviors. The hard work that goes into this--I never want to have to go back! I am keeping what I have earned! :)

@elisa123gal I do not keep junk food in the house so there is no temptation and I just don't feel good when I eat it. The peanut butter...I guess I could not have it in the house but I would just eat something else I am sure! It's not the peanut butter--it's the why the heck am I hiding this? Is it that my body truly is hungry as some other people suggest? Is there some passive aggressive behavior towards my boyfriend? Self sabotage towards myself? Fears? I know it is probably a combination of all! Just wanted to be open here and share and see if other people had the same struggles so I don't feel so crazy!
  • nay0m3
    Options
    @springlering62 OMG I love you!!! <3 37 years WOW!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATS!!!

To be clear, he kept this board when he was first divorced and yes, it creeps me out in a way too but he got rid of it as soon as I expressed my feelings about it. He truly loves me for me but I do know and he has admitted he would be disappointed if I gained weight (I am talking 30+ pounds as he did love me 20 pounds heavier already!) but it would be more that he is disappointed I likely wouldn't be able to keep up with him hiking and such. I think he fears the disconnect more than the weight.

I am 43 years old, 5'3" weight 130-135 (it fluctuates here for the past 1 year) and eat 1850 for calories. I lift heavy 4 times a week and a day of dedicated cardio and cardio mixed in small doses on the other days when I can.

I told him I wanted to try a bulk and cut and he was fine with it and said he trusts me. I don't think I am the one who can handle it though.

I am doing it because I love it. I have always been active and athletic. It's the best to have someone who brings this out in me honestly and I am super grateful for his partnership in this way!

Thank you for responding and helping!!!
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add that probably within an hour of posting my response here, I had to go get myself a mega spoonful of peanut butter! My ONLY regret is that I didn't have any chocolate to go with it. Sometimes we have to cut ourselves some slack. I'll be the first to admit that at times I'll have a morning of hard cardio so I can hit a micro brewery and food trucks with plenty of calories to deal with. A day without spot on macros isn't going to hurt us any more than that peanut butter. :smile: