How Do YOU Cut Out Sodium?

Options
2»

Replies

• age_is_just_a_number
    Options
    Eat real food. Food that is sold in the outside edge of the grocery store. Fresh fruit, vegetables, whole grains, protein.
    Control the seasonings yourself.
    Watch out for processed food — there is salt in everything.
    Make some swap outs.
    Eg.
    Nuts - remove salted nuts - replace with nuts in the shell or unsalted
    V8 - healthy; right? - the original has 640 mg of sodium. The low sodium version has 140mg.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    HickGurl73 wrote: »
    How Do YOU Cut Out Sodium?

I love the Dash seasonings re: cooking, but sodium is so MUCH MORE than cooking with salt, salting food of course.

This is an important "homework assignment" from my Dr. Before my next visit on 11.9

Thanks! :)

I don't.

We need sodium to live.

But I reduce sodium by eating a lot of fresh fruit and veggies.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I cook my own (dry) beans in my Instant Pot (just a 3 QT) as well as rice and quinoa. No canned beans or pre-packaged rice/quinoa are needed. I make my own spice mixes without salt (all sorts of spice mix recipes on the internet). No cooking expertise is needed. And you can do other things while it cooks (no watching the pot, no burning). I used to make my own soups, but plan to restart with winter coming. Soups are easy, dump in the ingredients in a pot a cook for awhile (or use the Instant Pot). Great for using up leftover veggies and whatnot. Also, the desire for salt drops soon after cutting back on how much you use. For those who can, start slowly with cutting back, to make it even easier on you. Bacon, sausage, and cured meats need to be minimized. Also, anything with canned/jarred tomatoes is usually sky-high with salt. Everyone here has provided great information.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,508 Member
    Options
    If you consume enough water and potassium, you can offset sodium concentration without having to cut it out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I personally don't, I am actually prescribed salt pills to raise my blood pressure because I need 5-10 grams of salt a day.

However, the food I eat is generally low sodium.

I cook everything from scratch, mostly vegetarian, with minimal cheese, and minimal added salt. I cook with a lot of herbs and spices, which create a lot of flavour without needing salt.

I lost 70lbs eating a primarily plant based diet with a lot of legumes and whole grains.
  • margaretgalvin2
    margaretgalvin2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't eat processed foods or fast foods.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    This will be basically consistent with all the above comments, but anyway, I eat 1500 mg sodium / day (except for the occasional special occasion when I'll allow myself 2300). It really isn't very hard, and the things I have done to get to that 1500 have had the beneficial side effect of leading me to much healthier eating, overall. My formula:

- eat mainly vegetables and other real foods, plus no-sodium pasta, rice, etc. This is the key. The cornerstone of it all
    - no processed meats
    - no cheese except swiss, which is much lower sodium than other sandwich cheeses
    - when I NEED salt, I use one pinch (80 milligrams) of Celtic sea salt added to the finished meal, at the dining table, not in the cooking process
    - no junk food other than no-sodium dark chocolate. No chips, dip, etc.
    - I read labels. A bagel can have 700 mg. You have to read labels to do it right.

You would be surprised how easy it is to keep sodium low with just a little effort, and you get used to it pretty quickly. It only took me around 3 weeks after a high BP diagnosis to get with the program. Everything I've done to go low-sodium has also helped me with my diet.

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,296 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    OP does mention this is on Dr’s advice.

Yeah, but sometimes people misunderstand. Cutting down on sodium or keeping it below 1500 mg is one thing, cutting it out (what OP said) is basically impossible and seems dangerous, so I wanted to make sure OP was clear on whatever the recommendation was (and that we understood).

The rest of my advice was assuming OP was just trying to keep sodium below a certain level, as that's common advice for various conditions.

Fair point.
    Ya.
    Eliminating salt completely is not a good idea.

Ditto carbs, or fat. But that’s a different topic.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,296 Member
    Options
    I cook my own (dry) beans in my Instant Pot (just a 3 QT) as well as (snip)

Oh yes. The Instantpot is a game changer.
    We make bean dishes, and pork, and so so so many wonderful things.

I am currently enjoying a stew made in the Instantpot. Pork. Tomato and carrot and potato. Other random veggies. Zero added salt. And it is so very good!

I got the Instantpot for my partner as a Christmas present four or five years ago. He ignored it for six months, unsure how to use it, and afraid of change. Until I unboxed it and basically suggested he just give it a try - along with a bunch of recipes I forwarded to him. Now he admits it is one of the best tools in the kitchen.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Did not read any replies.

I grew up with a father and sister with heart problems so we never had salt in the house. I developed a thyroid problem in my thirties due to lack of iodine.

If you are going to do this long-term, speak to your dr about getting the right nutrients, especially if you cook for more than just yourself.

• HickGurl73
    HickGurl73 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Lovin' all the replies, help and opinions! I think this will help MORE people here as well re: sodium questions! ;)
    I have now lost 5 lbs since asking this Q and and inch off waist/hips! I AM watchin' sodium better and drinkin' lots MORE water!
    Once again, y'all are AWESOME! <3 Keep Pushing - We Can Do This!
  • I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Being forever on a primarily whole foods diet, when I started tracking nutrition last summer to support increased exercise programming, I found salt was a daily deficit and bought a box of iodized table salt to be sure of iodine, too. Sweating it out every couple of days is a healthy way to lose salt, and adding sodium with hydration supports exercise. Of course, those with medically prescribed limits should comply, but not everybody is overdosing.
  • HickGurl73
    HickGurl73 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My Doc Visit Was Great! (blood work) Have lost over 8 lbs now & several inches. Day 45 (after midnight/central) NOW, working on good/bad cholesterol... Both need ta go lower!
    How are y'all doing with lowering your sodium NOW/STILL?
    Any updates?
    1mrwqfxdisep.jpg
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Why do you need good cholesterol to go lower? That's a new one on me. Typically you want to elevate good cholesterol and lower bad cholesterol.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,508 Member
    Options
    While sodium may be the issue, it's the CIGARETTES and weight that's more likely causing higher risk. What's it gonna take to quit now?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • elaroch05
    elaroch05 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    So, I'm in a bit different position due to a genetic condition that I have...I have to consume more sodium daily...at the level of 4 - 6g daily (4000 - 6000mg), or I can have some serious side effects. Here's the kicker though (although opposite situations): if I rely on heavily processed foods, I still may not make my sodium levels AND I'm eating excessive calories. PLUS...my husband doesn't have my genetic condition, although my son does...SO...he clearly doesn't need all that added salt.

I personally keep to simple homemade meals (although I will have like a lean cuisine or something at lunch sometimes...easy to take to work and easy to increase sodium)....I can add or remove salts easily to meet the needs of the whole family. Just remember that foods naturally have sodium content themselves...like chicken, beef, and pork is going to have around 50 - 60mg of sodium in and of itself without anything being added to it (I keep all this in my head as my doctor wants me reporting on sodium too :P ) Adding in more fresh fruits and veggies can definitely help with decreasing sodium as long as you aren't putting sodium filled things on top of them to make them palatable to you.

Penzey's has a great line of sodium free flavor profiles. I'll personally flavor while cooking with these and then at the end of a meal, add sodium per plate and palate so that different needs are met.

*Side note: my son and I end up using salt tablets to make up for sodium we don't consume during the day and honestly, we typically need it daily.