• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    al0481113 wrote: »
    heybales wrote: »
    So, science (anatomy &physiology) is illogical! So insightful 👏😅😅😅

If you have some studies that shows that samototype classification means a body will react differently to foods or to exercise - those of us that have seen otherwise would like to be informed.

What's the difference in physiology reactions.

https://www.pennmedicine.org/

Exactly where on that site does it discuss somatypes?

Sadly they have no search function - I scanned through their page on studies - nothing on somatotype classifications or studies.
    Maybe someone has a program run out of a hospital space that uses is that is confused with the hospital directly.

But some Universities discuss it - though they give no reason why it's a valid thing, except it has been done for years by many. Ok.....

https://www.uh.edu/fitness/comm_educators/3_somatotypesNEW.htm

Well - blood letting was done for years too by the then educated ones.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,663 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

If you have some studies that shows that samototype classification means a body will react differently to foods or to exercise - those of us that have seen otherwise would like to be informed.

Exactly where on that site does it discuss somatypes?

Yeah, that and: I don't see how doing a form of exercise based on one's somatotype (or fruit shape?) and ending up with good results is a clear demonstration that that's essential to success. Having friends who followed the same concept, got good results, isn't super persuasive to me, either. Exercise and eating programs tend to be helpful.

There are a lot of people who post in Success Stories here who did some exercise and eating program - lots, I'd bet, with no reference to somatotypes/fruits at all - and who look really great, including some with nice stomachs.

In my personal life, there are multiple people who undertook exercise/eating programs, for sure in their cases with zero somatotyping/fruit analogies, and who look really great, including some with nice stomachs.

Heck, I just did random fun stuff, not an actual serious appearance-focused program, and I don't think I look terrible, especially for an old chick. Pretty sure I could have a flat stomach and much more visible abs (i.e., horizontal definition lines) if I lost another 10 pounds, did certain workout routines I find annoying (not to spot reduce, just to add some mass), but I have zero interest in cute abs. No fruits, no somatotypes.

Besides, if I *did* follow somatotype theory, I definitely used to be an endomorph (a little over 6 years back), now I seem to be a mesomorph. I guess. 🤷‍♀️

Here's an academic site (sort of) that gives the somatotypes a little bit of love up front:

https://www.uh.edu/fitness/comm_educators/3_somatotypesNEW.htm

. . . but ends up here:

https://www.uh.edu/fitness/comm_educators/impossible_goals.htm

Couple of quotes from the latter:

"TV ads and infomercials touting gym memberships, diet plans, and exercise equipment can be extremely misleading, says Colby."

"What you can do, she says, is learn to eat and exercise in a way that emphasizes and develops your best features, while downplaying those you'd love to change if only you could. "Knowing your body type can definitely help you do the exercises that are best for you," says Colby. "You wouldn't want to do a lot of lunges, for example -- which build lower-body muscle -- if you're bottom heavy to begin with, because you might get discouraged and quit.""

There's other startling advice about eating, such as that people who tend to be thin and unmuscular should ". . . choose nutrient- and calorie-dense foods like nuts, dried fruits, sunflower seeds, and starchy vegetables, rather than lower-cal choices like fresh fruits and popcorn."; but those with excess bodyweight tendencies should "Eat lean proteins and high-fiber foods to help you feel full longer.

For the "lucky mesomorphs": "the same rules for health and well-being apply to them as to everyone else."

Not so much physiology as common sense: Too little weight/muscle? Work to add some. To much weight? Work to lose some fat, develop and keep some muscle/fitness. If specific body regions are less appealing to the owner than others, choose the work accordingly.

There was a trainer who came on here a few years back to support one of his clients, after some folks here criticized the trainer's web site for referencing - and seeming to rely on - somatotypes. Unlike many such trainers, he was willing to engage and discuss his training and marketing approach. What it came down to was that he felt he needed to meet the guys who thought they were doomed to be skinny ectomorphs where they were cognitively speaking, in his marketing (using those skinny-guy stereotypes), and get them on a more calorie-dense nutritious diet, plus a good strength routine. He had a site aimed at women, too, heavy on the usual "flat belly" "fit and toned" rhetoric, in its marketing. 🤷‍♀️
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,663 Member
    Options
    I swear I didn't conspire with @heybales in citing that particular web site, or even read his post before I wrote/posted mine. 🤣
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

There's nothing on this site about doing some specific exercise because you are some shape of fruit. News flash...regular exercise and healthy eating tends to be beneficial. Doing some form of specific exercise because that is somehow more beneficial because of some shape of fruit but wouldn't be beneficial if you were some other shape of fruit is illogical.